Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #1

K200D ISO when using built in flash?

Hello,

I recently acquired a new K200D. I have been using a K100D since a short time after it's introduction. I've noticed that when using the built in flash on the K200D, the camera, when the mode allows it, will choose a higher ISO than my K100D will shooting the same scene with the same lens. On both bodies I have ISO Auto set from min-max. Any one else using both bodies noticed this? I know the flashes on each body have different guide numbers, but they're close.

Thanks, BobG

03-08-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My experiments suggest the K200D on auto ISO with flash chooses ISO 100 every single time when shooting outdoors, but chooses 400 or 800 indoors. Are you seeing something different?

I personally could not imagine ever using auto ISO, but even if I used it in some situations, I definitely would turn it off when using flash. Too easy for the camera to shoot itself in the foot by choosing an inappropriate ISO.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 03-08-2009 at 04:50 PM.
03-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I only own a K100D and not the K200D - from the manul of the K100D - it says that under AUTO ISO the ISO is not corrected (not automatically adjusted) if the flash is discharged - which to me means that if the K100D is on AUTO ISO it will choose ISO200 - the base ISO.

The K200D appears to be a different animal - I can only go by the manual - there are no additonal comments for flash usage under AUTO ISO -
which probably means that the K200D is setting AUTO ISO even when flash is used -
and Marc's experience seems to indicate that - since outdoors will be bright so a tendency to have lower ISO, and indoors dimmer - therefore a tendency for higher ISO values.....
03-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both for your insight. Because the note that appears in the K100D manual indicating the camera defaults to base ISO when using the built in flash (even if AUTO ISO is set) is omitted in the K200D manual, I now see that the K200D purposely functions differently and I have not set something incorrectly.

BobG

03-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
I only own a K100D and not the K200D - from the manul of the K100D - it says that under AUTO ISO the ISO is not corrected (not automatically adjusted) if the flash is discharged - which to me means that if the K100D is on AUTO ISO it will choose ISO200 - the base ISO.
I might interpret this to mean, with Auto ISO, it picks an ISO *before* it fires the pre-flash, and does not then change its mind depending on the pre-flash result. That's how the K200D is, anyhow. Which does makes auto ISO pretty much useless with flash - it tends to pick unnecessarily too high indoors, and often too low outdoors (given that you're dealing with greater distances). I guess the K100D is even *more* useless if it really always picks 200.
03-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I guess the K100D is even *more* useless if it really always picks 200.
That's about the size of it.

If I leave the K100D on Auto ISO - all my flash shots are at ISO200.

I actually wish it did the K200D thing......
03-09-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Are you using matrix metering? Is it different in center weighted or spot? I have a feeling the K200d is trying to "even" out the image by boosting the ISO. It's trying to expose more background light in a dark scene before it flashes would be my guess.

-Brian
03-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Das Boot Quote
Are you using matrix metering? Is it different in center weighted or spot? I have a feeling the K200d is trying to "even" out the image by boosting the ISO. It's trying to expose more background light in a dark scene before it flashes would be my guess.
I use center weighted metering. You're probably right about what it's trying to do, and that does indeed make sense indoors. Outdoors, though, it leads to counterintuitive situations when you get a less exposed picture with flash than without - with flash down, it will boost ISO as necessary if you've selected a small aperture, but it won't do that with flash up. Not that any of this matters to me - as I said, I can't imagine ever using auto ISO. But I can see why that behavior would surprise people, Just like the "feature" where dialing in exposure compensation used to disable auto ISO on older models - at least the K200D fixed that!