Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Green Button envy

My K100D doesn't have a Green Button & I'm envious of you who have such a button.

I think I'll paint my AE-L button green. Should it be Lime green, Forest Green, what?

Seriously, how does my AE-L button differ functionally from the Green Button?

Iowa Dave

Last edited by newarts; 03-08-2009 at 10:07 AM.
03-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
Inactive Account

An excellent question, newarts - not one I can answer, though, because I'm wondering the same thing my self.
03-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
They serve different functions -
the K10D, K20D, K200D have the green button - seems to go back to the *ist D, but the K100D(Super) and K2000/K-m do not -

from dpReview of the K10D:

03-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
They serve different functions -
the K10D, K20D, K200D have the green button - seems to go back to the *ist D, but the K100D(Super) and K2000/K-m do not -

from dpReview of the K10D:

Thanks. The AE-L button for my K100d puts the camera in a kind-of P mode; if I adjust the wheel after locking exposure, shutter speed changes appropriately.

Dave

03-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks. The AE-L button for my K100d puts the camera in a kind-of P mode; if I adjust the wheel after locking exposure, shutter speed changes appropriately.

Dave
that can be changed in the custom functions to Tv Shift (i.e. Aperture Priority) or Av Shift (Shutter Priority). no i did not mix those up.
03-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
that can be changed in the custom functions to Tv Shift (i.e. Aperture Priority) or Av Shift (Shutter Priority). no i did not mix those up.
Av mode works best for me as my camera thinks all lenses are A type including ones I can only stop down by hand.

Thanks,
Dave
03-08-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I still find this confusing... so what am I really missing when the ae-l in M mode works exactly like the green button? Am I only missing out when it's on Av and Tv? I'm assuming that when you use Av or Tv the green button will set the aperture and shutter speed for you. (like program mode)

03-08-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I still find this confusing... so what am I really missing when the ae-l in M mode works exactly like the green button?
Nothing, given that AE-L serves no other function in "M" mode. In "M" mode, it's just a different button to achieve exactly the same purpose. It's only in other situations where the Green button provides anything extra - like returning to the default setting quickly after fiddling with some parameter.

QuoteQuote:
I'm assuming that when you use Av or Tv the green button will set the aperture and shutter speed for you. (like program mode)
When you use Av mode, the green button is not needed - the dial controls aperture (Av) or shutter speed (Tv) and the camera sets the other parameter automaically. But if you've dialed in exposure compensation, hitting the Green button resets it (actually, I think it has to be Green button + exposure compensation button together). Just a little shortcut.

Bottom line: you aren't missing much.
03-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the K10D in manual mode the green button and AE-L doesn't do the same at all. The green button will meter, the AE-L will lock the exposure at the measured or set exposure.

I use both the green button and AE-L in manual mode. The green button will meter and then if I press the AE-L, after that changing the aperture will change the shutter to keep the exposure the same and vice versa (like P). If only the green button is pressed than I can change the aperture and shutter independently like it is supposed to in manual mode.
03-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

sorry, let me be more clear
Pentax K100D Review: 9. Menus: Digital Photography Review

AE-L button on M exposure
1: Program Line
2: Tv Shift
3: Av Shift

let's say you want to meter a scene manually with an 'A' lens, but would keep the Aperture fixed, set it to Tv Shift. conversely if you want to meter manually but keep the Shutter speed the same, select Av Shift.

i find this feature extremely useful with a spot meter. what i like to do is set it to Tv Shift, then choose the aperture that i want. and then in a tough scene, i can press AE-L multiple times to see what different shutter speed reading the camera provides in the brightest and the darkest spots and then adjust it manually between those two shutter speeds as i see fit. this is sometimes more efficient than experimenting with different EV compensation.
03-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K100D doesn't have a Green Button & I'm envious of you who have such a button.

I think I'll paint my AE-L button green. Should it be Lime green, Forest Green, what?

Iowa Dave
The ae-l button on the k100d differs because you will actually get accurate exposure with non-A and preset lenses (as opposed to k10 or k20) At least with the stock focus screens, from my experience -YMMV of course.
03-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

the green button, the most useful is to reset the HyperProgram.
HyperProgram mode allows you to change the Program meter reading to Aperture or Shutter Speed Priority just by rotating your Aperture or Shutter speed dial. by pressing the Green button, you reset the reading back to the Programmed reading.
03-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I'd say that John Deere green is your best bet.
03-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

With Green button you can also set ISO to auto on K10D/K20D (OK + Green), and you can reset EV compensation value (EV +Green). (Also you can zoom image in playback mode, but only after it is already slightly zoomed)
03-09-2009, 04:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
The ae-l button on the k100d differs because you will actually get accurate exposure with non-A and preset lenses (as opposed to k10 or k20) At least with the stock focus screens, from my experience -YMMV of course.
On the K200D, the green button determines the shutter speed in manual mode with non-A lenses. I would assume it has the same function on the K10D/K20D

BTW Newarts - perhaps you could paint yours British Racing Green (eg Mini Cooper circa 1968) or Lincoln Green if your thinking about Sherwood Forest