Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

gave up and changed the settings

I was shooting today with a friend with a Canon 40D with the 50mm 1.4.
I have the K20D and the 31mm LTD.
so far I was keeping my camera setting on 0 and changing everything in post. but seeing the Canon today made me do some changes.

first I change the NR to 3
I also added a little saturation, contrast and sharpness.
to me it looks better straight out of the camera. some times on casual shoots I am dragging working a lot in post it I think that could be a good shortcut.

what do you guys think?

all and all the canon and my Pentax where pretty close. the 31mm was sharper wide open but the canon 50mm was very impressive.
the 31mm is a big winner on close up and 3D effect.
the 31mm was way way noisier and searched focus a lot more. the canon was super quiet and fast.

the colors on the canon looks better strait out of the camera but a few settings on the k20D changed it.

what do you think. is it OK or I am going to miss some thing?
how is the camera NR compeer to noise ninja or other NR software?

Thanks!

03-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Moved to dSLR section.

Canon colour is flat flat flat. The contrast and the colour saturation can be tuned to a really punchy state but they look flat.

Pentax can look like that with Da series lenses comparing to Fa series. However, the images still look better than Canon ones.

Speaking of noise, it is simply over-rated. When the images got printed, the printing itself injects dots to create your pictures. So these noises are really just some tech talk.

Canon 50mm f1.4 is crap lens in the same league as Pentax 50mm f1.4 (From a lens fetish perspective or any cheap mobile phone camera has the potential to create amazing images)

I had Canon 50mm f1.4 for 8 years in my bag and regreted of having it which is a good copy, tested and serviced blah blah blah. I sold it to someone who wanted to believe this lens as a legendary lens. Good for her. I was so glad that many people loved this lens.

Pentax Fa 31mm ltd is not the only lens to give that 3D feel. In fact, it is something else rather than the depth of field creating the look. Leica does it better than Pentax in this area I think.

Speaking of noise reduction itself, canon does inbody processing in the way that everything turns out to be rather plasticky lacking texture in themselves.

I prefer to do my own noise reduction in biblepro which is still not providing pentax support.
03-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

"Canon colour is flat flat flat." I agree, Canon lenses don't have the kind of coatings Pentax ones do, and that can alter the way an image looks dramatically.

Canon cameras hunt too you know, but you just don't hear it. The canon 50mm f/1.4 is a great f/2.8 lens, it is decidedly average when used wide open. I only use mine at f/2.8. But with the images I have seen from the 31mm limited f/1.8 is a completely usable aperture, which is an important distinction with lenses...the maximum aperture it has and the maximum USABLE aperture and in my opinion that is where Pentax pretty much always has the edge(pun not intended)over canon.
03-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Personally I shoot raw. When fiddling with a shot of the moon I took the other day, I discovered that there is the appearance of several stops of exposure in that raw file. Makes me wonder if one could do HDR by saving TIFFs or jpgs at different exposure adjustments in Lightroom, of the same image - no major issues in alignment. . .

I should try that before too long, and see what I get. Deepskystacker might do the trick.

You can't do that with jpegs.

03-08-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The amount of hunting I get from my Canon lenses is really bad sometimes, almost makes me think they're using the Pentax AF system.
03-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Weird, I always thought you decided on Canon because of the AF =)
03-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I did. Yet now I'm going back to Pentax...
03-08-2009, 10:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sodbuster Quote
Personally I shoot raw. When fiddling with a shot of the moon I took the other day, I discovered that there is the appearance of several stops of exposure in that raw file. Makes me wonder if one could do HDR by saving TIFFs or jpgs at different exposure adjustments in Lightroom, of the same image - no major issues in alignment. . .

I should try that before too long, and see what I get. Deepskystacker might do the trick.

This is absolutely possible as I have experimented in HDR pretty extensively using different numbers if bracketed shots and also using one Raw file and manipulating just that one file several times to create the differently exposed shots, merged them and then tone mapped. They look very very similar to a series of bracketed shots.,..the effect can be virtually the same. I reccomend always using a Raw file to achieve this. I use Lightroom as well as Dynamic Photo HDR.

Jason

03-09-2009, 01:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sodbuster Quote

However, there is no point in making three files from one raw file, and then merge them together to one file again. The best you can hope for with that manoeuvre is to recreate the original raw file.
03-09-2009, 06:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
The amount of hunting I get from my Canon lenses is really bad sometimes, almost makes me think they're using the Pentax AF system.
Out of curiosity, which lenses on which body?
That'll be an interesting view for folks who think Pentax AF hunts too much

For the OP: Pentax's default output is what you see is what it captures...this has been true of the K10D and K20D. Canon/Sony/Nikon's default JPEG output seems to have more sharpening/contrast to me, so people who are used to P&S cameras are more used to it. If you really want this kind of output, turn on "Bright" mode and you should be mostly happy. I prefer to do this in postprocessing when needed...
03-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi thanks for all the comments!

I did not do any official tests comparing the two cameras. we just happen to take pictures at the same place.

I am aware that the 40D LCD screen is bigger and also since I am used to my K20D maybe I over rated the Canon simply BC it looks different.

the noisy AF of the 31 mm was kind of an issue . we've been to a flower show.
the place was crowded with photographers. but it was very quiet and the only sound was the camera clicks. and my AF buzzing.

still I am going over the pictures that the 31mm took.. and it will be interesting to compeer. even though the 31mm is not a macro I was able to take some really impressive flower shots (to my taste any way )

by the way its was amazing to see how many amature photographers today have really great cameras and gear. I saw so may L lenses as if they are giving them away for free.
D700s and 5D's all over the place
03-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Pentax Fa 31mm ltd is not the only lens to give that 3D feel. In fact, it is something else rather than the depth of field creating the look. Leica does it better than Pentax in this area I think.

I am sure but for now the 31mm is the only lens that I have that is AF.
I love this lens so so much. but then again I never shoot with a leica. other the my Panasonic P&S that have a Leica lens
03-09-2009, 08:38 AM   #13
Pentaxian

"Leica does it better than Pentax in this area I think."

I would say they are on par with each other, though the current 4th generation summicron (pre-ASPH) is a step in the right direction in this regard (though I prefer the hexanon)..- curiously the 31mm limited has an aspherical element right at the front cell, the leica 'cron ASPH version is reportedly a bad lens for bokeh.
03-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #14
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Canon 50mm f1.4 is crap lens in the same league as Pentax 50mm f1.4...
James, do you really consider Pentax 50mm f1.4 lenses crap? Just curious, as most people seem to find them fairly decent. Of course if one's used to limiteds...