Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
something dirty, somewhere?

I just wet-cleaned my K100 sensor thoroughly and got rid of all the tough dust spots that wouldn't be blown away, but there is something, somewhere that is showing up as a very annoying spot in the VF. I've cleaned the VF window, but it's still there. Could it be on the focusing screen and, if so, can that be cleaned?
Brian

03-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've ended up with some sort of spot eventually show up in every SLR I've ever owned, it's only a matter of time before my K200D gets one. In one of my cams I actually had a tiny spider wander in and die, and thus had to look at his teeny carcass every time I took a picture.

It might be on the opposite side of the focusing screen, that would be my guess. I personally wouldn't know how to clean it, I'm too clumsy with tweezers and small parts for that sort of thing. "Operation" was never my strong suit.
03-09-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
I just wet-cleaned my K100 sensor thoroughly and got rid of all the tough dust spots that wouldn't be blown away, but there is something, somewhere that is showing up as a very annoying spot in the VF. I've cleaned the VF window, but it's still there. Could it be on the focusing screen and, if so, can that be cleaned?
Brian
Yes, it's probably on the focus screen, and yes, it can be cleaned - the focus screen can be removed and blown off. However, chances are also very good that in the effort to remove it and replace it, you'd make it worse - fingerprints and scratches on the focus screen are permanent. That's a common enough problem people get themselves into with models in which the focus screen is designed to be easily replaced, and the K100D isn't one of those, so it's even easier to screw up with it than with the *istDS, K10D, or K20D.

Bottom line: if it doesn't absolutely ruin the picture taking experience, you're probably better off leaving it alone. At most, try blowing some air on the underside of the screen on the offchance that it's there, not above - but it's probably above.

But if you're wanting to try, the latch to release the focus screen is visibl when you look inside the camera - toward the very front of the camera, adjacent to the screen itself. You can probably find good directions on focus screen replacement online somewhere.

EDIT: I see you've got a Katzeye. If you installed it yourself, the you already know what you're in for in removing and re-installing it. If not, it may have come with documentation on the process?
03-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
therein hangs a tale

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Yes, it's probably on the focus screen, and yes, it can be cleaned - the focus screen can be removed and blown off.

EDIT: I see you've got a Katzeye. If you installed it yourself, the you already know what you're in for in removing and re-installing it. If not, it may have come with documentation on the process?
It did, but I couldn't get the damn thing installed following the KatyEye directions even with step by step images, and ended up sending the camera and screen back to them and they fixed it at no charge because they discovered the K100 directions were really for another model; they ended up incorporating the images from my installation in the revised directions. Frankly, I don't want to go in there again so I'm going to just live with it. Thanks all,
Brian

03-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
It did, but I couldn't get the damn thing installed following the KatyEye directions even with step by step images, and ended up sending the camera and screen back to them and they fixed it at no charge because they discovered the K100 directions were really for another model; they ended up incorporating the images from my installation in the revised directions. Frankly, I don't want to go in there again so I'm going to just live with it. Thanks all,
Brian
I had luck blowing dust off the viewfinder by NOT locking up the mirror, and instead just removing the lens and blowing into the camera. Took me a couple of times, but eventually it moved somewhere out of my view and not on the sensor.
03-10-2009, 12:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Moved to the right section.
03-10-2009, 06:25 AM   #7
Forum Member

I ended up cleaning my original focus screen with water as recommended on the Katzeye website. It was just a simple rinse, straight forward and easy. The hardest part is getting the nerve up to do it. After doing it once and again to install my Katzeye, I have little fear of it. Go for it...

03-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Boris the Spider has been mooning me from the viewfinder of my Spotmatic for over 20 years now. We've grown attached.