Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #1

K200D & Vivitar Thyrister 3500

I just got a Vivitar Zoom Thyristor 3500 for my K200D, Im just a little lost.......

Ive never used an external flash and was hoping someone might have this flash and could maybe give me some pointers....

when I take a photo the flash is faster than the shutter, the module on the flash is DM/P

all help welcome and appreciated

thanks

03-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't understand this statement:
QuoteQuote:
when I take a photo the flash is faster than the shutter,
Does it means the flash fires first, and then (how long after?) the camera fire?

Try this:

1. Put the camera in M mode, shutter speed 1/160sec, any aperture. Set the flash in M mode. Stand in front of a mirror and take a photo. Do you see the flash firing in the photo?

2. Same modes of camera and flash as above. Set the camera to 2 sec timer delay. Hit the shutter release. Listen to the mirror flap and watch the flash carefully. What happens?

3. Camera: M mode, 1/160 sec, f/5.6, ISO 400. Flash: ISO 400, orange mode. Take a photo. What happens? Does the flash fire? Is the exposure correct?

I believe DM/P is the dedicated module for Pentax, but it's been a while so I can't recall what camera modes are supported by the flash. Can you please post photos of the module, one of the back and one of the foot. I may be able to offer more help.
03-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
here are the photos

full flash

top portion

foot

Last edited by wilkin; 03-09-2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: fix
03-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Thanks for the photos.

Now try this:

Camera: M mode, 1/160 sec, f/5.6, ISO 200
Flash: "blue" mode (slide the switch on the module to the blue dot), head at "W"

The flash range now should be 17 ft.

Take a photo of an average room in your house. What's the result?

If that does not work, the next step is to remove the "dedicated" pin on the foot. The surgery is pretty simple and reversible. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, check back tomorrow. I'll post some photos showing the operation step by step.

03-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Thanks for the photos.

Now try this:

Camera: M mode, 1/160 sec, f/5.6, ISO 200
Flash: "blue" mode (slide the switch on the module to the blue dot), head at "W"
well on my camera I can do 1/180 sec and what do you mean by head at "W"
03-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wilkin Quote
OK. I forgot the sync speed. I thought it was 1/160 sec.

The zoom head of the flash is set at "W," as in the second photo of your post (the letter "W" on the left of the distance scale). It's really doesn't matter for now. I just wanted to get as close to a "perfect" exposure as possible.
03-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #7

Original Poster
ok I see, I forgot you can pull the flash out and change it to "N" and "T"

I tried what you recommended and its the same, the flash fires first then maybe a half to a full second before the shutter

Do you think it would be better to try and find a Flash Module DM/P - TTL?

Id like to see the photos of the mod, Ill try it as long as I can go back if I wanted...
03-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
here are the photos

top portion

well I'll take a stab at remembering old manual flashes. First that flash has no ttl or p-ttl, strictly FLASH controlled automatic. You have to set flash to your set iso. In this picture 100, set aperature to f/2 if you pick red mode f/4 if you pick blue mode and f/8 if you pick orange mode . The flash should properly expose at....
7-30 ft red, 16-3.5 blue or 8-2ft orange depending on what mode you set...
The sensor is that little hole in the front of the flash. Don't block it.
Your camera should default to synch speed w/ the flash attached...
The m position is full manual and will only be good for one distance at one f stop at that iso..
Triangle is for this:
http://photo.net/filters-bags-tripods-accessories-forum/003caX
the yellow triangle is for Autowinder Flash Operation according to my Vivitar dedicated module for my Pentax ME Super. Here is the description: Autowinder Flash Operation (not applicable for all flash modules). For using your flash with an autowinder (up to 2 frames per second), the flash will deliver up to 4 flashes in sequence at 2 frames per second. Allow your flash 30 seconds to recycle before every sequence. The autowinder setting also reduces the manual output to 1/8 power (-3 f-stops) for fill light applications. a) Set dedicated flash module to the yellow triangle position b) set slide rule calculator dial on flash head to correct ASA/DIN film speed you have in your camera, using yellow triangle index mark instead of white index line. c) Refer to flash-to-subject distance on calculator and set your lens accordingly, as discussed above. The one-stop compensation for using the 28mm panel, as mentioned in your flash Owner's Manual, also applies here. d) Note: the sufficient light indicator will light when you are using the Autowinder setting. Disregard it. e) In any flash operation mode without external power source, avoid more than 25 consecutive flashes, as this may cause damage to your flash.

You can always buy a book...
http://www.camerabooks.com/Products/Vivitar-3500-Flash-Manual-(Multi-Languag...500MANUAL.aspx
Anyone else know anything different please jump in.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-09-2009 at 05:18 PM.
03-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I tried what you recommended and its the same, the flash fires first then maybe a half to a full second before the shutter

Do you think it would be better to try and find a Flash Module DM/P - TTL?

Id like to see the photos of the mod, Ill try it as long as I can go back if I wanted...
I think the "dedicated" data pin some how messes up the sync between the camera body and the flash. Let's remove it. The operation is simple and reversible, even though I can't think of any reason to reverse.

Don't to try to find another module. Even you can find it, it'll be useless. The K200D does not support TTL. The Vivitar 3500 is too old to have P-TTL.

I'll post some photos of the mod tonight or tomorrow morning....
03-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I think the "dedicated" data pin some how messes up the sync between the camera body and the flash. Let's remove it. The operation is simple and reversible, even though I can't think of any reason to reverse.

Don't to try to find another module. Even you can find it, it'll be useless. The K200D does not support TTL. The Vivitar 3500 is too old to have P-TTL.

I'll post some photos of the mod tonight or tomorrow morning....
Think he needs to set the camera to "M" first before pulling pins.. If the flash is firing on a p-ttl pulse then just taping it over should work as a test..
Pretty sure that just transmits a "ready" signal.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-09-2009 at 05:51 PM.
03-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #11

Original Poster
i have the manual.....but its like reading VCR instructions..I cant figure this thing out....
03-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

W= wide (24-35ish mm lenses on 35mm of course) N 50ish T= telephoto >100 I suppose. just guesses at this point.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/18375-vivitar-z...500-flash.html
OK check this thread out..........
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=26647384

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-09-2009 at 06:03 PM.
03-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #13

Original Poster
i think I figured it out.....the flash will fire once, then fire again when the shutter activates...

I used these settings

ASA 100, Blue Mode, Normal flash zoom mode, 1/125, F8

according to the manual with those settings it works from 8in to 4ft, I tried a shot down my dark hallway and the flash fired at the correct time......
03-09-2009, 06:15 PM   #14

Original Poster
Just wanted to add that I really appreciate everyone's help that posted
03-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

i think I figured it out.....the flash will fire once, then fire again when the shutter activates...

I used these settings

ASA 100, Blue Mode, Normal flash zoom mode, 1/125, F8

according to the manual with those settings it works from 8in to 4ft, I tried a shot down my dark hallway and the flash fired at the correct time......
glad you found something that sort of works for you. The flash shouldn't pre-fire though... that may just be some weird glitch in the 200..what camera mode are you in?

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-09-2009 at 06:44 PM.