Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I've just got to share this!!!

Just went to get a K10 body that i've found locally... with only 3xx clicks on it!!! Brand freaking new!!! It wasn't exactly priced like a steal, but i'm still very happy, in any case it was cheaper than a K20...

Gonna be relisting a really nice K100ds in classifieds...

03-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats.
It's a very capable camera, and you'll find it easier to manoeuvre around all the settings.
Get the grip as well, though - it's even easier to handle with that on your K10D.
03-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!!! For my taste the K100ds was more than capable... it was just too freaking slow when shooting RAW... 3 shots at a time and you're sitting there with da stupid face waiting for the buffer to get empty... Other than that, I was more than happy...
03-10-2009, 06:25 AM   #4
Forum Member

Congrats on your purchase. You won't regret it.

I got a GX10 to replace my K100D in November last year for the same reasons as you. But I like the IQ in high ISO much more on the K100D compared to the GX10 so I keep the K100D for low-light shoots and as a general backup. I think I now get the best of both worlds.

Neil

03-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Is there some menu somewhere that records the number of shutter actuations?
03-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by t.mauery Quote
Is there some menu somewhere that records the number of shutter actuations?
It's in the metadata of every image - as it's not part of the standard EXIF set - some EXIF readers won't see it.

Well liked here is PhotoME -
use the Find: box at the bottom, and type in Shutter Count
03-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
It's in the metadata of every image - as it's not part of the standard EXIF set - some EXIF readers won't see it.

Yeah... that's the little app that pretty much made me buy the camera... When I found the add, I've asked the seller to send me one of the last images taken with the camera... and when I saw 350-ish.. it wasn't too hard to decide whether I should buy it or not... But i'm kinda lucky when it comes to cameras... had the similar experience with my K100ds... found it locally with a very low shutter counter at a great price.

And I really like that K10 body... I was really missing these extra buttons...
03-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I agree..Great choice, but get the grip. It is so ergonomically sweet.

Ben

03-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I agree..Great choice, but get the grip. It is so ergonomically sweet.

Ben
Thanks for the suggestion Ben, but first of all I use a wrist-wrap and these aren't really compatible with grips... and second, i simply don't wont to sacrifice the camera's portability... 2 extra batteries in one of the bag's pockets take less space than the camera with a grip attached...
03-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote

Well I'll be darned! I always wished for a find in PhotoME. I once mentioned to the author that I would be happier with a Windows format. Find should be in a pull down in the upper left called, "Edit."

Glad I know where find it now. It is quite large, I just never looked down to find it.
03-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #11

Congrats! Sounds like my recent situation. I bought a factory refurb K10D off ebay for US$399- too bad the currency exchange wasn't what it was last year, would have been sweet. So it ended up at about CA$490 delivered, had 599 actuations and was in perfect like new condition. Love it! For that price with shake reduction and weather sealing, and a huge selection of lenses at great prices, can't beat Pentax!

I also upgraded from a K100D (not super) but I'm keeping mine as a backup in case I ever go on a trip and the K10D fails, gets lost or stolen... or even just to give to my son or wife to be an extra shooter while sharing all my same lenses and accessories.

I'm also thinking about the grip but avoiding it for now for the same reasons I think- portability. Plus I have a trip to Eastern Europe planned and the grip I think attracts more attention from thieves- makes it look more professional and expensive.
03-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Yeah... that's the little app that pretty much made me buy the camera... When I found the add, I've asked the seller to send me one of the last images taken with the camera... and when I saw 350-ish.. it wasn't too hard to decide whether I should buy it or not... But i'm kinda lucky when it comes to cameras... had the similar experience with my K100ds... found it locally with a very low shutter counter at a great price.

And I really like that K10 body... I was really missing these extra buttons...
One of the firmware upgrades I did for the K10 lost all such data. The counters started all over again. So I would not trust those numbers fully.
03-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #13

Nice!

You'll love the K10D! I went to the K10D from my old K110D, and it was a very nice upgrade .. even though the K110D was great, but the K10D tops it.

You'll have fun with it

-Isaac
03-17-2009, 07:06 AM   #14

Upon reading this thread, I checked one of my image EXIF and i have 19k shutter count. My question is, should I worry about replacing my shutter soon? it's Pentax istDS btw
03-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sajah Quote
Upon reading this thread, I checked one of my image EXIF and i have 19k shutter count. My question is, should I worry about replacing my shutter soon? it's Pentax istDS btw
No. I'm sure it's rated for at least 50k, but it should exceed that.