Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My only gripe about aps-c sensor

This might have been discussed before a bunch of times but I rarely see this mentioned. The main thing that annoys me about not having a FF digital body are the cheap old primes that are widely available. Where can I get a 28mm equiv fast prime for my dslr? I have a Kiron 28/2 (35eur) and an A28/2.8 SMCP (about 80eur I think) that are great on my film bodies but not nearly as exciting on a crop sensor. There just isn't any 18/2 lenses for less than 100eur. For this reason I shoot wide angle on film almost exclusively. Almost makes me want to buy a Canon 5d and convert some cheap 28mm k-mount primes for the ef mount.

I love wide angle, but as my most expensive lens is the fa50 (the only one that cost me more than 100eur), I just don't see myself spending lots of cash on a wide angle crop sensor lens. I plan to buy a better film scanner to get the most out of my negatives instead.

03-10-2009, 07:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

well.. yeah..

That is why i switched to film for the time being, maybe even go MF soon .
03-10-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, would be nice to try these as well:

03-11-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Ah, the joy of crop-factoring! Teles are extended and wides are blunted. The only cure is to spend more money, which I'm without at the moment. So I make do with some manuals on my K20D: Zenitar 16/2.8 (with fishy distortion), Lentar 21/3.5 (not real fast), Vivitar 24/2.0 (not real wide, and stuck wide open), and Albinar and Sigma 24/2.8's (again, neither real wide nor real fast). My various 28/2.8's seem only barely wide. When I get back to my California home in a few months and sell-off a few dozen extra lenses, I'll be able to consider the Mir and FA 20/2.8's - and maybe the full-frame K30D will be available by then, eh?

03-11-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I want FF just so my 31 ltd will become a wide angle again.
03-11-2009, 08:03 AM   #6
Banned

honestly, my only gripe with aps-c is the smaller viewfinder. I can (and have added) a split prism for my lenses but I find focusing anything wider than 50mm very challenging. this is a part of the reason I gravitated toward film. of course a proper pentaprism as opposed to a pentamirror would help a little, but a smaller sensor just means a smaller viewfinder. I haven't really had any major complaints about crop factor. sure I wish I could capture the whole image that my 55 can see but I still use and enjoy it the same way I do on film.
03-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #7

[QUOTE....For this reason I shoot wide angle on film almost exclusively. Almost makes me want to buy a Canon 5d and convert some cheap 28mm k-mount primes for the ef mount.

I love wide angle, but as my most expensive lens is the fa50 (the only one that cost me more than 100eur), I just don't see myself spending lots of cash on a wide angle crop sensor lens. I plan to buy a better film scanner to get the most out of my negatives instead.[/QUOTE]

Ha.. The funny thing is you listed three expensive solutions to get wide angle.. while avoiding the simple one of just buying a wide angle lens?

Take the money you would save by getting a 5D, or buying an expensive film scanner, and add that money you would save on film.. and you could buy a nice CZ Distagon T* 3.5/18!
03-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My only gripe with APS-C is the increased depth of field. I WANT IT AS SHALLOW AS A BLONDE.

03-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by designinme_1976 Quote

Ha.. The funny thing is you listed three expensive solutions to get wide angle.. while avoiding the simple one of just buying a wide angle lens?

Take the money you would save by getting a 5D, or buying an expensive film scanner, and add that money you would save on film.. and you could buy a nice CZ Distagon T* 3.5/18!

you dont understand, 18mm is not wide on digital.

21mm is not wide

you have the sigma 10-20, and second the pentax 12-24, both are max F4 at their shortest focal lengths.

Pentax does have the DA14 F2.8, but if you think about it, thatsa 21mm lens in film terms, so the FA20 F2.8 and said Zeiss is already better

not to mention the few 15mm F3.5 full frame compatible lenses.

Nikon has a 13mm F5.6 beast

Sigma's 12-24 F4.5 apperantly covers full rame as well, but i would imagine the quality wide open isnt something to write home about.

thats just the rectalinear lenses.

architecture? Canon has a 24mm tilt-shift lens, Pentax has nothing.

you can get 3rd party ones, i think a 35mm, but atleast 35mm on film can get you decent coverag, 35mm on digital is constricting you.
03-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

yeah, so i'm shooting wide on film, and i like it much more than digital - for me, keeper/trash ratio is much much better with film.
"expensive" dedicated film scanner (canon canoscan 8800F) costs ~ $200 - that's not *that* much.
03-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by designinme_1976 Quote

Film scanner will cost me less than 300eur and of course I would sell the k20d and maybe a few film bodies to budget the 5D if I'd seriously want it. The lens you're suggesting costs at least 1000eur? Not an option, I'd have to sell my camera body to get a lens for it. Instead I'd like to have a digital body that can make the most out of the lenses I already have, as there is no cheap wide primes for the crop body. If anyone would like to offer me a 15mm lens with SMC and A setting for less than 100eur, I'd be filled with joy .
03-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
My only gripe with APS-C is the increased depth of field. I WANT IT AS SHALLOW AS A BLONDE.
Amen brother.
03-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pasipasi Quote
This might have been discussed before a bunch of times but I rarely see this mentioned. The main thing that annoys me about not having a FF digital body are the cheap old primes that are widely available. Where can I get a 28mm equiv fast prime for my dslr? I have a Kiron 28/2 (35eur) and an A28/2.8 SMCP (about 80eur I think) that are great on my film bodies but not nearly as exciting on a crop sensor. There just isn't any 18/2 lenses for less than 100eur. For this reason I shoot wide angle on film almost exclusively. Almost makes me want to buy a Canon 5d and convert some cheap 28mm k-mount primes for the ef mount.

I love wide angle, but as my most expensive lens is the fa50 (the only one that cost me more than 100eur), I just don't see myself spending lots of cash on a wide angle crop sensor lens. I plan to buy a better film scanner to get the most out of my negatives instead.
Your gripe is accurate. It would be nice to have an 18/2.8 (or faster). Currently, that range of primes is ill-served by: DA21/3.2 (too narrow), DA14/2.8 (too large, too wide), DA15/4 (too dim, a bit too wide, too vaporware).

Meanwhile our beloved Pentax has a confusing glut of lenses in the normal range (FA31/1.8, FA35/2, DA35/2.8, DA40/2.8, FA43/1.9, FA50/1.4, DFA50/2.8).

The most suitable cheap wide lens (18mm) is the kit 18-55 lens. It's a bit slow, but it is lightweight and it is cheap.
03-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Same here. Since I have little money to spend on my hobby, I too have some difficulty finding the type of lenses I would like to use. My first lens purchase solely for my dSLR is the FA 35/2.0 – relatively fast, close-to-average focal length (52.5mm at 35mm film equivalent), autofocus and quite compact. Although I am yet to receive it, the order is placed...This wasn't cheap for my standards – although for lens-standards it might be – but I'll be using this prime as my main lens so I don't really mind.
Although, as a next purchase I'd like something along the range of 24 to 35mm equivalent on 35mm film, and then I'd have to look at cheaper, manual lenses. I'd love a FA 20mm, which isn't all that expensive, but I've noticed they're not easy to find as they are no longer produced. So if anyone has or knows one for sale, you know where to find me.

On the other hand, on those days or moments I don't mind focusing manually, I can easily take along my SMC-M 50/1.4 and have a nice fast tele-ish lens. Maybe I should just settle for a wide-ish manual lens as well for those moments.

So of course it has its pros and cons, although I noticed that generally alot of people seem to like close-to wide lenses, and those seem to be the hardest to find when tight on budget.
03-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
architecture? Canon has a 24mm tilt-shift lens, Pentax has nothing.
24? We have 17 too.