Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #1

dslr lens compatibility question

I have a K-m. My dad has an old k1000 slr from the 70's. I want to use his 75-135mm lens on my dslr. Why isn't it working. It mounts right and everything but I can't get my camera to take a picture when it is on. Yes I did flip the switch off of auto focus and on to maual. What am I doing wrong? Or will it not work?

03-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

There should be a setting in one of the menus (I don't know the K-m menu system) to allow aperture setting. This setting should be on. You would then meter by pressing the green or AE-L button.
03-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cinaibur Quote
I have a K-m. My dad has an old k1000 slr from the 70's. I want to use his 75-135mm lens on my dslr. Why isn't it working. It mounts right and everything but I can't get my camera to take a picture when it is on. Yes I did flip the switch off of auto focus and on to maual. What am I doing wrong? Or will it not work?
Check out this page -

Pentax Lenses Explained

Please tell us the lens type -
but I'm assuming it's a M or K type lens -

" M and K lenses work ....
with stop-down metering on the *ist D series and K series digital SLRs provided that a custom function is set appropriately. "

The details are in the K2000 user manual (Download) on pages 240-242.
03-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To set it to allow manual aperture ring go to:

Menu - C - 3 - 19 Using aperture ring

Change the setting to "2" to allow.

The K-m doesn't have the Green button. Instead, in "M" mode, you press the "Av" button that sits behind and to the left of the shutter button to meter.

03-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Your welcome! This week's manual lens on dSLR "getting it to work" question has been answered.... Can't wait for next week's similar question - ie This guy just gave me this awesome SMC M 50mm 2.0 and I can't get it work... Maybe someone should make a sticky.
03-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Das Boot Quote
This week's manual lens on dSLR "getting it to work" question has been answered.... Can't wait for next week's similar question
There are a handful of questions that are asked week after week. Things like manual lenses, K100D batteries, IR conversion, the endless Full Frame questions, the 1.5 multiplier, mirror lock up, temperature reading in PhotoME, Trap Focus, and so on.

Perhaps what is needed is an FAQ section with a notice that people must scan the FAQs before asking a question.
03-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Check out this page -

Pentax Lenses Explained

Please tell us the lens type -
but I'm assuming it's a M or K type lens -

" M and K lenses work ....
with stop-down metering on the *ist D series and K series digital SLRs provided that a custom function is set appropriately. "

The details are in the K2000 user manual (Download) on pages 240-242.

Duuuuuude!!!

Thanks for that link! For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to meter with an all-manual lens!
Manual says to use the DOF preview on the power switch, but I'd flick it, and nothing. Ya gotta HOLD it for a sec! DOH!

Mucho thanks!

off the trail...I'm in a one-night-a-week digi photog class, about 12Nikonians, 10 Canonites, and me and the only Oly guy sit together, as we're in Siberia...

Kinda' funny, though - I throw my jabs in.
The Prof was explaining pre-focus, and I blurted out that if they had a K20D, they could just use the Catch In-Focus feature...

They were discussing lenses, and how the VR lenses were expensive, yep - you guessed it, me and the Oly guy spewed the virtues of in-body SR.

Tue night, he mentioned the outing at the park on Saturday, and that if it rained he;d cancel.
Of course, I blurted out that with a K20D and a DA* lens, no worries...

One guy was trying REALLY hard to get a shot of the full moon (Canon XSi) and he couldn't get the metering to work right - he kept getting a bright circle on a black background. Just looked like a flashlight in the dark

I busted out an '80's vintage Vivitar 70-150mm lens, and started snapping pics, and they were all shocked - surely the "superior" CaNikon can do this, yes?

Um, no - the D40/D60 people were surprised that they didn't even have a focus motor in their bodies!

The more I use my K20D, the more I love it, and the more sure I am that I made the right decision.

<SoapBox /Off>
03-12-2009, 08:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't think ANY modern DSLR can properly "automagically" meter for the moon, perhaps spot metering would work, but I think your K20D would have the same problems in an automated metering mode. So it's really a "The Canon user didn't know what he was doing", and NOT "The Xsi sucks at taking moon shots"

Glad you're enjoying your camera though! I took lots of great pictures with my father-in-law's old Sears 80-200mm f/4 on my K10D and *ist DS.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sharkonwheels Quote
One guy was trying REALLY hard to get a shot of the full moon (Canon XSi) and he couldn't get the metering to work right - he kept getting a bright circle on a black background. Just looked like a flashlight in the dark