Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

Tav function

Hi all.
Well, a my pentaxian friend ask me an interesting question.
We all know what the tav functionality. However, Pentax states this feature as a great characteristics of the K20. But I have seen that srl like Olympus E-3, when you shoot in fully manual, allowing you to set the iso in auto-mode. I would like to know the difference between the TAV function and auto iso in manual of the other srl....

03-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds the same, or similar, but it's just a turn of the knob away! Manual with auto-iso is not really manual is it?!
03-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
Damn Brit

It's not something I've heard discussed here before. Why not go in a store and compare, you can then educate all of us.
03-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From discussions I've had with some Nikon shooters, they seem to be about the same.

03-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You guys have struck my curiosity and I did what I could in my living room and my K10d. I tried altering my hyper program line while testing and it didn't make a difference. So... In manual, the camera will peg out the ISO regardless. I point the camera at a 75w light bulb and pressed the green button. The TV and AV adjusted like they should have (1/4000 & 1.4), but the ISO stayed pegged at 800 and still indicated overexposure on the metering in the VF. It required an 'OK' and front dial adjustment to get it correct in Sv. Auto ISO has no bearing on manual mode other than defaulting to the max and requiring an adjustment by the user, even if the green button is pressed.

In TAv, the camera starts the ISO in the basement and is more of an active metering type program line (it keeps the metering correct as best it can) throughout adjustment.

I did find it interesting that the camera weighs metering adjustments in this order: Av, Tv, Sv. This is regardless of the Hyper Program adjustment, TAv or M mode. In TAv, if you adjust the Av and press the green button the camera adjusts Tv and Sv... If you adjust Tv and press the green button the camera keeps your Av and alters your Tv (which you just set) and Sv. I guess I just learned something new about my camera.

Last edited by Das Boot; 03-10-2009 at 08:18 PM.