Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Battery performance reporting thread for K100D

There is somewhat conflicting information on the battery consumption of K100D on the Internet. Below I report my experience. I am not trying to be scientifically sound; just telling about my experience. Perhaps some other users also feel inclined to report their experience and a future internet searcher my come across some useful information here.

This was my first use of the camera and most of the pictures were made to test the camera and help me understand its use. So, I cannot claim this was a real-life example. Still, it might help some people choose their camera and/or battery.

It goes like this:
Camera: K100D
Batteries : Sony Ni-MH Rechargeable 2500 mAh (fully charged)
Charger : Sony Battery Charger BCG-34HE
Total number of shots : 506
Battery half indication : 380
Use of autofocus : 80-90%
Use of flash : 10-15%
JPG: <5%
RAW: >95%
I use the LCD panel often.

From what I read, I was expecting about 300-350 shots.
I was also afraid that the charge would drop rather more suddenly after the battery indicator displayed low battery status (halved).
However, I was able to take more than 100 shots (some with flash) after this display.

So far, I am happy about this and I expect a better real life performance when I will be using my camera more frequently in manual focus mode. I do not foresee much use of the flash, which should also help a longer battery life.

Last edited by bc_the_path; 04-05-2007 at 01:57 PM.
04-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #2

Camera: K100D
Batteries : GP Ni-MH Rechargeable 2700 mAh (fully charged)
Charger : Panasonic BQ-396
Total number of shots : 943
Battery half indication : ~800
Use of autofocus : 95%
Use of flash : 0%
JPG: 15-20%
RAW: 80-85%

I stopped counting at 943 and replaced batteries since I was going to have longer photoshoot next day and didn't want the hassle of changing them on the field. I've never really counted the shots I get with one charge but it just happened that I shot three consecutive days thinking that I had replaced batteries in between though I'm pretty sure I did not.

I'm fairly conservative about using LCD, I usually don't spend long time checking pics with it and I don't go mucking around in menus. I also turn camera off between shots, even if for half a minute.
04-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Time vs. Number of Shots

The number of shots per K100D battery charge may not always be a good indicator of battery performance. Shooting with flash in raw, mostly with AF, with three-year old NiMH rechargeables, I can easily get 200 shots in one day from a fresh charge. But no matter how many pictures I do or don't shoot, the batteries are drained in three days.

With Sanyo Eneloops, I have to recharge the batteries about once a month. Eneloops hold less raw power than traditional NiMH's, but they are built to bleed very little power into the air. For me, the difference has been dramatic. A set may last only 2-3 weeks if I use the camera a lot, but time between recharges has been much, much better than any other batteries have I used, including NiMH non-rechargeables. No other batteries I've used have some close to Eneloops in terms of days and weeks of use per charge.

I bought in November and my counter is at about 9500, so I'm a reasonably regular user. I haven't used any form of CRV3s, so those could be better than Eneloops---though they are probably more expensive.

--Brett
04-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #4

I threw the Energizer lithium CRV3's in my old K100d and got about 1300 shots out of them. I used the flash almost never and the LCD lots. I'd say about 70% jpg the rest RAW.