Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
UPDATE: I finally got a hold of Pentax Canada today and I was told to send it in for repair. (*&$#!?@) So I'll know once it's returned whether it's the flash or not. (The flash is being sent in as well, although I had to convince the person that I should send it, too. They must not have thought it was the problem.)

Interestingly, they didn't need to know what memory card I'm using since memory cards apparently aren't a cause of this problem - people in other threads have thought they might be. But they did want me to send in both my batteries.

So I'll keep y'all posted once the camera is returned.

04-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, I shipped my K20D and both batteries (and Vivitar 283 flash) to Pentax Canada on March 17 and got everything back on April 8. The technicians made no mention of any flash or battery problems, but "circuit replaced" in the K20D was on the pickslip that was sent back with everything. I had the same thing wrong with my Fuji 602 back in 2003 and it has worked flawlessly ever since, so I hope for the same with my K20D (so far, so good!).

For the record, I'm no longer using my Vivitar flash - only on the Fuji when needed - just to be safe even though the trigger voltage is only 8.5V. I'll probably get a Metz 48 or 54 down the road so that I have a good modern flash (and better and cheaper than equivalent Pentax offerings).
04-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
I even tested it while discharging the flash and no voltage spike occurred - even on full power mode - unless it happens so fast that the voltmeter can't pick it up.
A voltmeter is useless - a spike can take less than a millionth of a second and do irreparable damage. You'd need an oscilloscope to catch that. A good one.
04-15-2009, 12:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
My K100d has never missed a beat ever since I bought it a year ago. Sometimes it will lock up' is when I take 10 seconds and up exposures. It will take forever to process the shot and I'll just turn it off (and it will keep working, then turn off, but the shot is saved). I'm probably just impatient... But I guess in any product line there's always defects. I would take it in if it bothers you, but if you can live with it maybe wait till the warranty period is almost over.
I'm pretty sure that's your long exposure noise reduction, not a lock up. When you take long exposures, the camera takes an pure black exposure of equal length. It's called dark subtraction or something like that. It then layers the two shots to help reduce color noise in dark areas. So if you take a 15 second exposure, after that is over, your camera will take another 15 second exposure of solid black, then it has to process them and write them like usual. It keep going because your camera will never turn off until it's done writing data. Read your manual, it's all in there. ou can also turn it off in the custom menu.

04-15-2009, 03:42 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
... The technicians made no mention of any flash or battery problems, but "circuit replaced" in the K20D was on the pickslip that was sent back with everything. I had the same thing wrong with my Fuji 602 back in 2003 and it has worked flawlessly ever since, so I hope for the same with my K20D (so far, so good!).
My K20d has the same issue. I have not used any external flash so it has nothing to do with flash unit.

I will send it in for repair when my backup body is back.