Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2009, 03:21 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K20d vs hand grip

I just purchased a hand grip for my K20d and am experiencing the following problems:
1) When I press the shutter release, the camera fires off two shots. (This does not happen every time.)
2) If I take three successive shots of the exact same subject, say a portrait, the camera will expose the first shot okay, but the other shots are over- and under-exposed. (This does not happen every time.)
3) When I press the button to view photos, nothing happens. (This does not happen every time.)
None of the above problems occur when I remove the hand grip.
Has anyone else encountered these difficulties? Any suggestions?

03-11-2009, 04:52 AM   #2

Sounds very odd. Like the camera is changing into burst / bracketing by its self. If you have some contact cleaner, try cleaning the contacts on the camera and grip.

I have the grip for both my K20 and K10 cameras and have had no issues other than my hand catching the grip release button.

Is it a Pentax grip or an after market one?

Bill
03-11-2009, 05:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
At first I thought maybe this was a case of putting the camera on auto bracket and forgetting to turn it off... but then when you view photos nothing happens? That's odd. And all this happens when the grip is on the cam? I suggest to try to clean the contacts, if still nothing, go back to the store and try out another grip just to make sure that the problem is with the grip and not with your camera.
03-11-2009, 05:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

sounds like bracketing...check that before do anything..

03-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Hand Position

For your under- and over-exposure problems, watch your hand position when shooting verticals. I found that my hand would sometimes hit the green button inadvertantly, suddenly changing the exposure settings. Especially if you metered and then recomposed.
03-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
For your under- and over-exposure problems, watch your hand position when shooting verticals. I found that my hand would sometimes hit the green button inadvertantly, suddenly changing the exposure settings. Especially if you metered and then recomposed.
Aside from that peice of advice, turn the grip "off". If you leave the battery grip on, you will run into that kind of weird behavior.

I thought I was going insane after I put the grip on my K20D because I kept hearing the focus beep when I was darn sure I wasn't touching the shutter button. Well I wasn't touching the shutter button on the camera but I sure as heck was getting my little finger bumping up against the shutter release on the grip.

Once I worked through that anomaly things straightened out. I am getting used to switching the grip "on" when I go to shoot portrait.
03-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Have you checked the connections to see if any are bent?
03-17-2009, 05:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Riktar Quote
Aside from that peice of advice, turn the grip "off". If you leave the battery grip on, you will run into that kind of weird behavior.

Once I worked through that anomaly things straightened out. I am getting used to switching the grip "on" when I go to shoot portrait.
Ah, good tip! And it does literally take only a second to switch it on. Thanks.