Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
insect macro photography... how often do you need a ring flash!

someday I would like to invest in a good macro but was wondering, at least for insect photography, how often (percentage of your shots) do you need a macro ring flash?
It would be another expense that I would have to consider... and the price of a decent ring flash in canada is an arm and a leg....
like I said that a macro purchase a down a long road, but still interested anyway

thanks everyone!

randy

04-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Depends on the size of the insects. If they are really small you will be very close to them and may need a ring flash. Most of the time a special flash bracket that I cobbled together works fine. Usually use the bracket with the DFA100 macro and Kenko 25 extension tube. If using reverse lens stacked on another lens (2X-4X mag) use ring light. Kept the DS to use with the ring light.
thanks
barondla
04-05-2007, 06:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Randy,

A ring flash is a nice toy. It does what it is supposed to do. Unfortunately, it often does more than you may want. Contrary to popular understanding it does create shadows. It can create 360 degree shadows around the subject.

I have used ring flashes and find them more limiting than an advantage. But, they clearly have a place in macro work.

All my macro work is done without much more than a conventional flash. Depending on what I want to do I would prefer to use multiple lights for high end imaging of macros subjects than hope that the ring flash will solve the problem.

Before investing that type of money, mount your flash to the top of your hotshoe; get a high end diffuser: take off any lens shade you might be using and just keep shooting until you develope your own style of macro imaging.

You may find that this alone will fulfill your needs; may find you don't like the hard work that macro imaging requires to do right; or you may enjoy it so much that spending money on macro gear will be done with unlimited joy and abandonment

Stephen

Stephen C. Gushue's Photo Galleries at pbase.com
04-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use a ring flash occasionally. Maybe about 10-20% of insect shots. Nevertheless, I am glad I have it and wouldn't want to be be without one. My personal favorite macros of my own (The praying mantis series) were all done with ring flash.