Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2009, 02:17 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Doesn't the K20D have the ability to store info about the properties of specific lenses, specifically relating to back and front focus issues? I've never done it and now I can't find where you'd do it, but I think I'm not making that up. And if I'm remembering right, would it not make more sense to store the EV value for a lens with the other info you store about the lens?

Will
It does, but for the discrepancy with AF with some lenses. My Sigma 24-135mm lens has some serious back focus issues with the K20D and I was able to adjust it +7 in the camera for that particular lens and all is well. When I change lenses it goes back to zero, if I switch back to the Sigma it shows +7 again. So it does remember this adjustment setting for each lens. I don't know if there are other setting options you can save per lens though. It's under option 35 in Custom Settings. Quickest way to get to it is start from the bottom of the list and go up, it's 3rd from the last.

03-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madmikess Quote
It does, but for the discrepancy with AF with some lenses. My Sigma 24-135mm lens has some serious back focus issues with the K20D and I was able to adjust it +7 in the camera for that particular lens and all is well. When I change lenses it goes back to zero, if I switch back to the Sigma it shows +7 again. So it does remember this adjustment setting for each lens. I don't know if there are other setting options you can save per lens though. It's under option 35 in Custom Settings. Quickest way to get to it is start from the bottom of the list and go up, it's 3rd from the last.
Thanks for pointing that out! I knew it had to be in there somewhere but I'd gone through all of the menus several times and didn't see it. That's because, um, I thought I knew what this option was for and I was wrong. :-)

Now I know. As far as I can tell none of my lenses have focus problems. I have focus problems. But I don't think I can pin it on the lenses.

Will
03-11-2009, 03:32 PM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Yes, not just pros, but regular people who do not have the finesse & patience to master the Pentax metering issues.
I don't think you're allowed to say finesse unless you have a little.
03-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Oldphoto678: I don't think you're allowed to say finesse unless you have a little.
I find it interesting you are in tune with this limitation.

03-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
WMBP: Well, what tipped the scales for me was the Pentax system's price advantage, that and the fact that the K100D (the first Pentax dslr I bought) had shake reduction built into the body. Every time I think about switching to Nikon or Canon (which is to say, about every three days or so) I remind myself that I'd have to pay for image stabilization lens by lens by lens.

Backwards compatibility means nothing to me because I have no legacy Pentax lenses. My last film SLR was a Nikon N65 that I still have and still use occasionally just for grins. I've tried a couple old Pentax lenses but found that I prefer the newer lenses made specifically for digital SLRs.
I agree with you that the system cost of Pentax is also very attractive, and surely Shake Reduction was a carrot I spent a good deal of time staring down as well. I too shudder when I think of paying for VR every time I buy a Nikkor, even if the technology is a bit better than the SR.

I'm sure "backwards compatibility" has varying degrees of importance to Pentax users. For me, not only does it reduce the system cost a great deal, but it also offers more fun as you can shoot so many different lenses. But, even more in my case, the backwards compatibility offers me the awesome feeling of shooting with 50 year old lenses handed down in my family.

Autofocus speed, lowlight shooting, & FPS mean little to me. If they had, I would not have jumped so happily on board the Pentax carrier.
03-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Funny that this feature seems to have been designed with old lenses in mind. It is useful for my new lenses as well.
03-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Funny that this feature seems to have been designed with old lenses in mind. It is useful for my new lenses as well.
Same here. I find it REALLY useful on my Pentax when shooting in Manual mode to correct for snow, beaches, dark green foreground in landscapes, shifting the histogram to the right, and so on, with the newer lenses. Exposure Compensation also exists on Nikons and Canons, and many use the feature on those cameras a lot, including Bryan Peterson who often recommends shooting under certain conditions with EV set at -2/3 for example. Given its popularity in many makes and models of dSLRs as well as P and S cameras (my Canon S5IS has it also), I wonder if Pentax really developed it just for use with legacy lenses.
03-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
krypticide: Funny that this feature seems to have been designed with old lenses in mind. It is useful for my new lenses as well.
How does feature help you out--please, tell us more. Are you saying some of your newer lenses do not accurately meter with the Green button?

03-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #24
Veteran Member

My DA 3.5/18 - 250mm regularly underexposes especially in medium- to low- light conditions (K200D). Not by much, (only 1/3 to 2/3 of one stop), which is easily recoverable in post-processing, but I prefer to adjust it while shooting. With M- mount lenses the problem is much more pronounced, and I need to work on it.
03-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #25
Veteran Member

My Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 seems to underexpose relative to my other lenses, so this is helpful in manual mode. I wish it had this in the other modes too, since my meter is set at 1/3 EV steps and sometimes I have to compensate pretty high.
03-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #26
Veteran Member

krypticide, EV compensation is availabe in any mode (Scene included), except for Manual and Bulb, by pressing the Av/+- button and rotating the edial to the left or right while holding the button down. The compensation adjustment appears in your viewfinder. In M mode, it appears on your readout by default, and you adjust compensation by adjusting shutter or aperture.

This is how it works on the K200D. I don't know about the K20D or Km.
03-12-2009, 07:56 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The thing I understand least about pentax and ev compensation is, it is functional in M mode on the *istD, not functional in M mode on the K10D but again functional on the K20D.

Is it useful, yes even with new lenses.

Aside from exposure errors on the K10D and K20D for manual lenses, I dind that when you add a TC to a lens on the K10D it has a constant offset in exposure. Adjusting the compensation takes care of this in automatic mode, but what happens when you go to manual, you loose this feature, and don't necessairly realize it right away. Why did they delete it from the K10D is beyond me.