Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2009, 07:23 AM   #1

K20 bad behavior - user error?

Last weekend I was taking some photos (orchestra performance) and all seemed to be going well enough. I was using the K20D and 16-50/2.8, camera was kept on but mostly went to sleep mode in my lap waiting for use.

Near the end of the final piece, it started to act strangely like when larger f-stop and lower ISO is too demanding for the available light, very long "captures", but settings were the same as for the rest of the event (2.8 or 3.5, ISO 800 range). I took 4 or 5 with it like that, and all those turned out either completely white or with a very faint band of pink showing (horizontal).

The camera has acted like this previously, but usually I could figure out something was wrong such as lower battery charge, or change of lenses without turning off camera. This time, I can't really think of anything that would have caused this. It did seem OK only after taking out battery and putting same one back in.

Is this worth sending into Pentax, or wait and see if it happens again? Thanks for your opinion

03-12-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This has been happening to my K20 since it was new. Getting ready to send it back. It seems to be a common problen. Does it have a battery grip?
03-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #3

Original Poster
No battery grip. Using the OEM battery with a good charge.
03-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't heard much of this problem so I wouldn't agree that it's common. Either way, I'd send it in for repair. That's not proper behavior for the camera.

03-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I haven't heard much of this problem so I wouldn't agree that it's common. Either way, I'd send it in for repair. That's not proper behavior for the camera.
If you do a search you will see that it's a pretty common problem. Lot's of post here and other forums complaining of the same issue. Still think it's a great camera.
03-12-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoghead Quote
If you do a search you will see that it's a pretty common problem. Lot's of post here and other forums complaining of the same issue. Still think it's a great camera.
I don't discount your experience in this, and if you're experiencing this, and you do a search, it may well seem to be happening to enough people that it seems like a major problem (it would be if my K20D were doint it ), but I agree with rfortson, in that this is the first time I've heard of this error, and I'm spending hours a day here (I'm a stay at home dad 'till fire season)... so I don't know if I'd say it's "common" exactly.

I hope Pentax fixes your camera ASAP!
03-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
Inactive Account

no such problem for me, it happen once but I change the SD card and all is well since then.

cheers,

rene

03-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Not happening to me either. My only problem so far is that Live View doesn't work... Just get a photo capture when I turn the switch to Live View....?
Steve
03-12-2009, 06:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nu2pntxd Quote
Not happening to me either. My only problem so far is that Live View doesn't work... Just get a photo capture when I turn the switch to Live View....?
Steve
You've got it set to do a digital preview. You have to go into the menu to change that button to enable Live View. Your camera is behaving properly.
03-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Well, either way, it would certainly bug me. Intermittent problems are the worst. I hope Pentax makes it right for you (might as well make a "wish list" of all the things they might fix under warranty if you're sending it in).
03-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #11
Damn Brit

Does it happen only on certain days? I'm wandering if it's something to do with the internal calendar.
03-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Guys,

I've tried all sorts of things, different cards, batteries, shutter speeds, etc. It just seems like a random problem as to when it happens. I've been out and taken over 200 shots at one time with never a problem and then it migt happen 5 times out of 20. I have talked to Pentax and they will stand behind the camera, just have to send it back which I'm planning to do shortly.
03-13-2009, 08:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hey Guys,

I've tried all sorts of things, different cards, batteries, shutter speeds, etc. It just seems like a random problem as to when it happens. I've been out and taken over 200 shots at one time with never a problem and then it migt happen 5 times out of 20. I have talked to Pentax and they will stand behind the camera, just have to send it back which I'm planning to do shortly.
I hope they make it right for you. I know my DA*16-50 was not that great on my K10D. Since using it on my K20D, I've slowly come to realize that it's a great lens and I now have full confidence in it. I suspect it will take you a while to regain your confidence in your K20D.

BTW, I checked out your site and you've got some great shots there. You seem to do well regardless of the camera you're using.
03-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #14

k20d freeze, pictures with pink banding, etc.

I've been experiencing this problem since the first picture taken with my K20D many weeks ago.
I wanted to give it a thorough workout, testing as many variables as possible before sending it in to Pentax. This is what I've found:
1) image samples here: Flickr: My K20D's Photostream i wonder if this is similar to what you've seen?
2) There are *no* truly guaranteed consistent factors that I can find. I've tried and kept track of so many variables...high quality memory cards, cheap cards, battery grip, no grip, high ISO, low ISO, cold camera, warm camera, fresh battery, almost dead battery, bracketed exposure, all drive modes...literally 10 hours or more of dedicated trials. The best I can do is state that the *possibility* of an occurrence
is maximized by the following on my camera.
3) High or Low continuous shooting Drive Mode + ISO 400 or higher + Shake Reduction. about 90 percent of the time these settings will trigger the freeze. about 90 percent of the freeze-ups will result in the white image with pink band (or some other extreme banding result).
4) almost *every* instance of a lockup is accompanied by the sound of the Shake Reduction motor being active *even if Shake Reduction is not turned on*.
5) These are only the most consistent factors. The freeze can happen with none of these factors in place, and rarely all of these factors can be in place and a freeze will *not* occur.
I've spent an insane amount of time trying to correlate all of this, and I'd be pleased if someone could at least take a few steps following me down the path to crazyland to verify some of the points.
03-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sarka Quote
I've been experiencing this problem since the first picture taken with my K20D many weeks ago.
I wanted to give it a thorough workout, testing as many variables as possible before sending it in to Pentax. This is what I've found:
1) image samples here: Flickr: My K20D's Photostream i wonder if this is similar to what you've seen?
2) There are *no* truly guaranteed consistent factors that I can find. I've tried and kept track of so many variables...high quality memory cards, cheap cards, battery grip, no grip, high ISO, low ISO, cold camera, warm camera, fresh battery, almost dead battery, bracketed exposure, all drive modes...literally 10 hours or more of dedicated trials. The best I can do is state that the *possibility* of an occurrence
is maximized by the following on my camera.
3) High or Low continuous shooting Drive Mode + ISO 400 or higher + Shake Reduction. about 90 percent of the time these settings will trigger the freeze. about 90 percent of the freeze-ups will result in the white image with pink band (or some other extreme banding result).
4) almost *every* instance of a lockup is accompanied by the sound of the Shake Reduction motor being active *even if Shake Reduction is not turned on*.
5) These are only the most consistent factors. The freeze can happen with none of these factors in place, and rarely all of these factors can be in place and a freeze will *not* occur.
I've spent an insane amount of time trying to correlate all of this, and I'd be pleased if someone could at least take a few steps following me down the path to crazyland to verify some of the points.
We all seem to be experiencing the same problems. I've tried everything I know to find a common denominator with no luck. When I talked to Pentax they said it wasn't an issue but to send it back and they will take care of it. I have shot as many as 500 frames with no lockup and then it might do it 3 out of 10. Who knows?