Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
DXO sensor analysis. K20D, K10D, K200D plus other manufacturers.

I got wind of this site off of Gizmodo today. An analysis of the sensors from the major camera manufacturers. Quite revealing stuff.

Comparing the K200D, Canon 50D, and Nikon D300:

Compare cameras

They measure RAW output instead of JPG which is really good because it always bugs me when biased review sites like DPreview (Amazon.com owned) compare sensor noise using JPGs (instead of RAW) AND with the camera's default settings (ie. Pentax has noise reduction off at default while all others have some NR by default). That's like having some unequal variables within an experiment and expecting us to take their reviews objectively.

Comparing the K20D, K200D, and K10D:

Pentax

Very similar sensor performance between the 3 cameras.

Last edited by K200D; 03-12-2009 at 02:52 PM.
03-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #2

Excellent input, I am glad to have seen this. One of my close friends shoots with a Canon 5D, looks like (as long as I squint a little) I can compete with him, kind of.

Thanks!
03-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice find!
Just goes to show the observation of many members about how the K200D is underrated.
The next replacement would perform better and would be worth waiting for.
03-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that this sort of "testing" is a complete and absolute waste of time. Any DSLR that's been made in the past 5 years or so is quite capable of giving excellent results.
DXO is at best a distraction from what is important, which is making pictures.

03-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K200D Quote
I got wind of this site off of Gizmodo today. An analysis of the sensors from the major camera manufacturers.
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
a complete and absolute waste of time
DxO testing data are old news to this forum

As for what it is worth... the results are not normalized across some aspects (like pixel count or sensor size) and you should hold a degree in physics or engineering science to get an exact (or even non-misleading) interpretation of the data. I have thought about the most appropriate testing methodology myself (published in the German forum DFN) and everybody, incl. DxO, is still far off the mark.

So, I tend to agree with Wheatfield.