Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #1

K2000/K-m settings

Sorry if this has been asked before (I did a search), but any suggestions on best settings to start for shooting jpegs with the K2000? If adjusting the sharpness, should you adjust Sharpness or Fine Sharpness? FWIW, I use Natural mode with sharpness + 1 on my K10D (no Fine Sharpness option), but understand the jpeg engine is different with the K2000. I also shoot RAW or RAW+, but this camera is primarily for my wife who doesn't want to mess with post processing.

I know everyone has slightly different taste in jpegs, but was hoping to reduce the learning curve a bit for the K2000. I found it took a lot of trial and error to get results that I liked with the K10D, and it has fewer adjustment options than the K2000.

Thanks!
John

03-17-2009, 04:21 AM   #2
djm

Photos: Gallery
I shoot same as on my K10 except that I use Fine sharpness
Bright, Sat -1 & Fine Sharp +1 pretty much the same but shapness a bit better on the edges. I do like a bit of punch to my shots.
03-17-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I use "bright", +2 contrast, +2 sharpness.

Btw I don't really understand why there is sharpness and fine sharpness setting if they always get the same value If you set one of them to +1, the other one is also set to +1 automatically. So what's the point of having 2 settings if you can't adjust them indepently?
03-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

"Sharpness" level

The "sharpness" setting sets the amount of *sharpening* apply to the image. It does not and cannot change the amount of jpeg details as it is limited by the best jpeg compression setting as well as the quality and performance of the jpeg engine.

Shoot RAW and convert one-off to get the best image quality out of the camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by jrkeiser Quote
Sorry if this has been asked before (I did a search), but any suggestions on best settings to start for shooting jpegs with the K2000? If adjusting the sharpness, should you adjust Sharpness or Fine Sharpness? FWIW, I use Natural mode with sharpness + 1 on my K10D (no Fine Sharpness option), but understand the jpeg engine is different with the K2000. I also shoot RAW or RAW+, but this camera is primarily for my wife who doesn't want to mess with post processing.

I know everyone has slightly different taste in jpegs, but was hoping to reduce the learning curve a bit for the K2000. I found it took a lot of trial and error to get results that I liked with the K10D, and it has fewer adjustment options than the K2000.

Thanks!
John