Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How often has your K20D frozen up?
It never has 5789.06%
It has once or twice 34.69%
It has a few times (3-5 times) 11.56%
It has many times (more than 5 times) 34.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bought when it first came out. Has over 10K shots. Never froze up. Once I couldn't change aperture/shutter speeds. The grip wheels were in between settings. It would still focus, shoot etc. Love the K20D.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #16 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #17. Any brand camera. Any subject. Enter now!

03-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #17

often freezes

a freeze every other day or so, sometimes several times in a day.
With just about every variable I can think of: with grip or without, cheap memory card thru best, cold or warm, image preview or not.

It seems that the only consistent aspect is that a picture was taken. yay.
I'll add that I almost always get a bad picture along with the freeze.
examples here: Flickr: My K20D's Photostream
03-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #18

No, never experienced any 'freezes', and mine is one year old next week.
03-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #19

Twice so far

First time I thought it might be the colder than usual weather last month but no the K10 kept on going whilst the K20 sulked

Second time was on Monday morning when trying to record some building work

No problems like this with the first K20 but this one came back from Pentax UK Service in January

03-20-2009, 05:58 AM   #20

This is what happened on my K10D..

It's strange.

-Isaac
03-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #21

Sounds like the memory card. Contacts on one of my Sandiscs were damaged by my desktop's snaggy card reader...now I only use the freebies that come with Lexar and Sandisc cards).
03-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #22

I missed the poll closing, but my K10 and K20 have never locked up.
03-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by janosh Quote
Sounds like the memory card. Contacts on one of my Sandiscs were damaged by my desktop's snaggy card reader...now I only use the freebies that come with Lexar and Sandisc cards).
I guess I'll repeat what I've written in other threads. When I phoned Pentax Canada before sending in my K20D about this problem, I asked what I needed to include. The tech person told me to send in my two batteries, and when I asked if I should also send in my memory card (based upon the suspicions of other forum members) the response was along the lines of, 'Why would you want to do that?' She insisted it wasn't necessary.

In other words, these freeze-ups are not likely a memory card problem, especially when the one I use is top-of-the-line.

03-26-2009, 10:43 PM   #24
Forum Member

Never

Over 5000 frames taken in one year.
03-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #25
WRB
Forum Member

over a year - never

great results body & lenses.
04-03-2009, 06:40 AM   #26
Inactive Account

I'm not sure if I should vote, but here's what happened....

I paired the K20D with a sigma 180macro and for a few weeks it was working great, but a few times the camera told me it cannot determine the focal length. There was some sun today and I decided to do some macro shots and for about a dozen shots it was working fine and then suddenly the camera froze with nothing on the indicator top panel, other than the battery icon and the F---- ( no numbers) (and that's not the fword)

I then turn to my back up K10D with bigma attached on it, switched it on and this combo worked. So, I switched the lens, K20 took the bigma and 180macro on K10.

Lo and behold, K10D is now frozen stiff, but K20D with bigma is working again.

I'm not sure if this is camera's fault or is it the 180macro lens?

maybe someone can enlighten me...

Last edited by Tripod; 04-03-2009 at 06:41 AM. Reason: 180 macro
04-03-2009, 06:58 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
I guess I'll repeat what I've written in other threads. When I phoned Pentax Canada before sending in my K20D about this problem, I asked what I needed to include. The tech person told me to send in my two batteries, and when I asked if I should also send in my memory card (based upon the suspicions of other forum members) the response was along the lines of, 'Why would you want to do that?' She insisted it wasn't necessary.

In other words, these freeze-ups are not likely a memory card problem, especially when the one I use is top-of-the-line.
Just try for one week with a cheap SD. See what happens...
Even top line cards can be faulty
04-04-2009, 07:30 AM   #28
Inactive Account

I have done some testing with both cheap SD cards and more expensive Lexar pro and Sandisk ex. III cards. My K20D freezes with all SD cards.

Then I thought about my batteries. I have Pentax original, Sigma Original and cheap ebay batteries. I have the past two days taken over 200 shots with the original Pentax battery and a 8GB Sandisk ex. III card, no freezing.

Q: Have some of you experienced freezing with the original Pentax battery and a good SD card?

The next testing I will do, is with original battery and a cheap Apacer SD card.
04-05-2009, 08:15 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Today I tested my K20D with Apacer SD card and Pentax OEM battery. It froze 3 times!!

I must re-test with Sandisk Ex.III card and with both Pentax OEM and cheap China batteries.
04-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Just came across this posting when i was looking for answers, mine started to freeze today
and has been doing it all day about every 10 - 20 shots which was driving me mad.
I have only had the camera about a week and bought it second hand so its not under warranty, any ideas how much Pentax charge aprox for repairs and did anyone find any answers on what it could be.
Tried two different Sandisc cards and cleaned lens contacts and changed
battery with no joy, appreciate any help i can get.
Thanks