Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How often has your K20D frozen up?
It never has 5789.06%
It has once or twice 34.69%
It has a few times (3-5 times) 11.56%
It has many times (more than 5 times) 34.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Poll: K20D freeze-ups

NOTE: I would prefer that you vote in this poll if you've owned your K20D for at least 3 months.

Since my K20D has frozen-up on two occasions within the first 4 months of ownership, I'm now curious to find out how common/uncommon this problem is with other K20D owners.

By freezing up, I mean your LCD screen going blank and none of the buttons being able to work on your camera. Perhaps your top LCD will display the battery symbol or the number of shots remaining, but nothing else. And the remedy being turning your camera off then on again, or turning the camera off, popping out the battery and re-inserting it, then turning it on again.

Last edited by enoxatnep; 03-14-2009 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Added opening note
03-13-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The only time I have ever experienced any type of non typical camera activity with my K20D is when the mode dial somehow or another got bumped and was between settings. Othere than that I have had no malfunctions.
03-14-2009, 02:46 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
It hasn't locked up on me, but if I turn the dials quickly it doesn't seem to register. I find this quite annoying and not at all conductive to fast operation.

One of those things nobody mentioned before I bought it.
03-14-2009, 03:20 AM   #4

3000+ frames since December '08 and not one problem. In brief, I love this camera!

03-14-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cicak Quote
... In brief, I love this camera!
Don't get me wrong - I do too. And my goal isn't to slam an otherwise remarkable camera. In fact, anyone considering buying a K20D if they have the money would frankly be missing out on a lot if they choose not to buy one. I'm just really bummed at this point that I rank as one of only 10% or so who have this problem. (Why couldn't I be part of the 90% with zero freeze-ups???)
03-14-2009, 07:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

My first K20d would randomly freeze up when trying to access the SD card.

The only way to reset it was to pull out the battery.

I sent it back and exchanged it.

Pat

EDIT: Though I had to exchange the camera twice, second front focussed to death... but third is a charm, it hasn't frozen up a single time.

Last edited by ve2vfd; 03-14-2009 at 11:03 AM.
03-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My K20D has never frozen, however my D90 freezes up about once per week. (off->on fixes, sometimes need to pull out the battery.)

03-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Over 8,000 frames on mine, and I can't remember this happening, which frankly surprises me. Perhaps it's happened and I just reset it without thinking... I expect most complex electronic products to glitch every once in a while and need a reboot.

I've had multi million dollar helicopters need to be shut down and restarted, just to reset a computer fault.
03-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Over 11000 frames on my K20D. Never a problem and certainly never a freeze-up.

Jack
03-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #10

Happened when I first received mine but, I also have to factor in that I was using a cheapo memory card. Once I replaced the card, I have never have had my K20 lock up on me. (knock on wood)
03-14-2009, 01:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K100Dave Quote
Happened when I first received mine but, I also have to factor in that I was using a cheapo memory card. Once I replaced the card, I have never have had my K20 lock up on me. (knock on wood)
So, this could also be a memory card thing?
Another one mentioned that the first one he got also freezes up accessing the memory card.
There could be something here about a memory card incompatibility
03-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Never happened on my K20D and I've owned it since February of 2008.
03-14-2009, 05:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Mine has only frozen a few times and that was when the battery grip was attached. Without the battery grip, I have had no issues. It has been said that if the dials of either the battery grip or camera are between clicks then you may have a freeze issue. This may be true as it is quite easy to bump the dials of the battery grip in use.
03-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine hasn't done anything like this at all, and I've had mine since they first come out (getting close to 10,000 shots on it).

There's only been one time when I thought my K20 was malfunctioning, enough so I was ready to send it in for repair. It turned into a funny "operator-head-space-and-timing" story (old mechanic's joke - customer: "what's wrong with my car?" mechanic, about a car where there's nothing wrong: "It was an operator head space and timing problem, all fixed.") - I was taking some comparison shots using different apertures and shutter speeds. I have the camera set to briefly show the picture on the LCD right after taking it, but this time I wasn't lowering the camera to look - just turning the appropriate wheel to change the setting. I'd take the picture, then turn the wheel to change the aperture and nothing would happen. I was getting really frustrated with the camera apparently "selectively" not responding to the wheel when I realized that I wasn't waiting long enough for the picture to clear and I was zooming in on the LCD's review. Somehow I don't think that counts as a camera malfunction, and I hope everyone gets a great big laugh out of my stupidity!

I do sympathize with you - the camera shouldn't do that. All electronic equipment seems to be subject to strange problems - my 5 month old MacBook Pro is in the shop for the second time for a mysterious problem. Very frustrating.
03-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #15
Closed Account

Original Poster
With regard to the posts about memory cards, I would hope that my freeze-ups don't involve my memory card. It's a Sandisk Extreme III 8GB, 30MB/s Edition. Definitely not an el-cheapo!