Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-14-2009, 04:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20D AF problem

One of my bodies is freaking out. The Auto Focus moves back and forth very quickly, never stopping on the object I'm focusing on. Taking it to Pentax this Monday. Tried all of my lenses. It is definitely the body.

03-14-2009, 04:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Rice High is a bit slow these days... I thought he would have jumped on this thread by now? Have you tried a new fresh battery pack & a menu reset? I know when my K100D went strange I reinstalled the firmware .. Fixed a problem of it's focus jumping in and out..
03-14-2009, 06:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
One of my bodies is freaking out. The Auto Focus moves back and forth very quickly, never stopping on the object I'm focusing on. Taking it to Pentax this Monday. Tried all of my lenses. It is definitely the body.
Not very likely, perhaps, but could it simply be dust on the AF sensors?
03-14-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
"Back-up" Plan

There was a pretty intense thread over on DPR about, "What makes someone a 'pro', the camera or the photographer"? It was mostly a shot at Canikon snobbery. Among the many knowledgeable people on this forum, Benjikan certainly falls within the ranks of well-respected professionals. ALL camera systems have their problems (just read some of the other forums, if you can stomach it! ), but one of the marks of a true professional is this: "...one of my bodies..."
Usually Benjikan, we are coming to you to solve our problems! I'm sure you take more shots with your Pentax gear, on any given day, than most of us do in a month. (So if you're having trouble, we can for sure rule out operator error, unlike myself! ) Hope you're able to get it fixed quickly. But, like a true professional, you will not allow the occasional equipment failure to jeopardize your livelihood, because you're prepared for such emergencies and have a "back-up" plan. Good luck.

03-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Try a power cycle? I.e., take battery out, leave it out for a while, swap in a new battery?
If that doesn't do it, your AF module is probably dead...
03-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #6

Sounds like the contacts could be dirty? I had this happen with my K100D a while back and had a local establishment clean the contacts? This made all the differnce in the world as I have not had the body go nuts on me again!
03-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
There was a pretty intense thread over on DPR about, "What makes someone a 'pro', the camera or the photographer"? It was mostly a shot at Canikon snobbery. Among the many knowledgeable people on this forum, Benjikan certainly falls within the ranks of well-respected professionals. ALL camera systems have their problems (just read some of the other forums, if you can stomach it! ), but one of the marks of a true professional is this: "...one of my bodies..."
Usually Benjikan, we are coming to you to solve our problems! I'm sure you take more shots with your Pentax gear, on any given day, than most of us do in a month. (So if you're having trouble, we can for sure rule out operator error, unlike myself! ) Hope you're able to get it fixed quickly. But, like a true professional, you will not allow the occasional equipment failure to jeopardize your livelihood, because you're prepared for such emergencies and have a "back-up" plan. Good luck.
Not to worry. I called Pentax and the turn around will be Pro Service. I still have another 5 bodies...

I am just confused. I did re-set the menu and there is no dust on the sensor nor the contacts as all my shooting is indoors and they are never used for casual shooting.

None the less, I hate the trip out to Pentax in the outskirts of Paris.

Thanks
Ben

03-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Try a power cycle? I.e., take battery out, leave it out for a while, swap in a new battery?
If that doesn't do it, your AF module is probably dead...
That's what the tech said at Pentax. He listened to the sound of the camera over the phone attempting to focus and said "AF Module"...
03-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

This camera has myathenia gravis, easily fatique over time. I had been resting the "AF" from time to time by using manual focus quite a bit. It increases the longivity of the camera
03-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Im guessing it's been well used?
03-25-2009, 03:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just spoke with Pentax. The turn around was two days. They replaced the "Auto Focus" module and will sending the body back to me today.

Ben
03-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Out of curiosity, and not that it's any reflection on the longevity of any camera component, but how many images have been taken with this particular camera? With 5 bodies I assume you rotate through them often.
03-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Just spoke with Pentax. The turn around was two days. They replaced the "Auto Focus" module and will sending the body back to me today.

Ben
I guess it helps having a relationship with pentax france eh? As there's no pro service outside of the USA

It took pentax UK four weeks to fix my 540 flash! but they took the money within the first few days!
03-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got the Pentax K20D back this morning by messenger. That was a three day turn around time, door to door. They even sent back the piece that they replaced to show me that they actually did something

It is now working perfectly. Here is the component they replaced, called a "Auto Focus Encoder", and of course there was no charge.
Attached Images

Last edited by benjikan; 03-27-2009 at 03:08 PM.
03-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
Im guessing it's been well used?
Used for only 4 or 5 photo sessions...i.e. perhaps 2000 to 2500 activations.