Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How do I connect a K20D to an LCD?

I'd like to connect my K20D to an LCD for viewing instead of the on-body LCD. This is because tethered shooting is so slow.

1 option I know of is to get one of those LCDs that have the yellow component video cable input, pretty much an LCD TV.

Is there a cable/adapter to convert the yellow composite video cable from the K20D to DVI or VGA? That way I can use the more affordable regular LCDs used for computers.

Thanks.

Diego

Last edited by soccerjoe5; 03-14-2009 at 07:46 AM.
03-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #2
Forum Member

I don't think the K20D supports live video output (maybe unless you're in Live-View which will thus slow down your shots anyways). Grab your video cable (yellow) and plug it in to your K20D, plug into a monitor/tv ... test it out. See what it takes to get it to work.

Maybe there's a viewfinder adapter out there somewhere that attaches to your viewfinder and transmits the video output to a TV.
03-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Steve. Works fine with the yellow cable to a TV. I'm looking for an adapter that can let me connect my yellow cable to DVI or VGA input of LCD monitors.
03-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I've looked all over for you and I don't see a way to convert composite to VGA, DVI or HDMI. The converter boxes are expensive and they only convert from VGA and/or DVI to composite, component or s-video. Now, this doesn't mean they don't exist it's just you might be hard pressed to find one. Also, I don't think you can upscale your video signal like that so, you are probably better off just getting a monitor that allows for composite in.

Most LCD's these days have composite, component and s-video inputs built in and your probably better off just buying one of those.

I'm sorry that I wasn't of better help to you.

Mike

03-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

A better solution might be to get a video capture card for your PC - then you can use a VGA/DVI LCD without need of an adapter...
03-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #6

What will you be checking for? It is important to note that the composite output will only get you NTSC/PAL quality, which is only 525 lines. If you just want to check composition, that might be fine, but for anything more it might not be very usable. I was under the impression that the tv output was only for playback mode, but I have not bothred to play with this feature yet.

There are composite to vga/dvi converters for monitors, but they run about $50-100. They are usually filed under gaming as I think tuners. Console gamers use them to hook their consoles up to lcds to save the need for a separate tv. In my opinion I would say spend the cash and get one built into your lcd, that way you don't have to bother with a separate box.

Amazon.com: StarTech COMP2VGA Video Game Jockey Console To PC Monitor Converter Adapter: Electronics

Is a starting point. I'm not sure what the quality is of these. Just remember, you wont get any better than composite out, and NTSC on LCD is notoriously poor.

-southy

P.S. Isn't there some way to have lightroom monitor a directory location and automatically load the newest image into preview? I would think that would be the most efficient way to do this.
03-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by M Vlosich Quote
I've looked all over for you and I don't see a way to convert composite to VGA, DVI or HDMI. The converter boxes are expensive and they only convert from VGA and/or DVI to composite, component or s-video. Now, this doesn't mean they don't exist it's just you might be hard pressed to find one. Also, I don't think you can upscale your video signal like that so, you are probably better off just getting a monitor that allows for composite in.

Most LCD's these days have composite, component and s-video inputs built in and your probably better off just buying one of those.

I'm sorry that I wasn't of better help to you.

Mike
Thanks Mike. I've been searching for hours too with no avail. Seems to be some incompatibility and you need some converter box to do so. I guess I'll spring for an LCD with composite video input. Thanks for your time though

Diego
03-14-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
A better solution might be to get a video capture card for your PC - then you can use a VGA/DVI LCD without need of an adapter...
I won't be hooking up a PC to the monitor. I'll just be using it for shooting on-site for showing clients output instead of tethered to a computer which takes forever.

03-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southy Quote
What will you be checking for? It is important to note that the composite output will only get you NTSC/PAL quality, which is only 525 lines. If you just want to check composition, that might be fine, but for anything more it might not be very usable. I was under the impression that the tv output was only for playback mode, but I have not bothred to play with this feature yet.

There are composite to vga/dvi converters for monitors, but they run about $50-100. They are usually filed under gaming as I think tuners. Console gamers use them to hook their consoles up to lcds to save the need for a separate tv. In my opinion I would say spend the cash and get one built into your lcd, that way you don't have to bother with a separate box.

Amazon.com: StarTech COMP2VGA Video Game Jockey Console To PC Monitor Converter Adapter: Electronics

Is a starting point. I'm not sure what the quality is of these. Just remember, you wont get any better than composite out, and NTSC on LCD is notoriously poor.

-southy

P.S. Isn't there some way to have lightroom monitor a directory location and automatically load the newest image into preview? I would think that would be the most efficient way to do this.
I'll just get an LCD with those composite inputs instead.

About the Lightroom thing though, it takes FOREVER to show up when shooting RAW. About 30 seconds per shot and that's a LONG time for a client to be standing there to see the shot you just took. Takes forever to flush out the buffer too
03-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Thanks Mike. I've been searching for hours too with no avail. Seems to be some incompatibility and you need some converter box to do so. I guess I'll spring for an LCD with composite video input. Thanks for your time though

Diego
Hey not a prob

The price and spec's of LCD's these days are really good. You might try newegg.com. I've bought all of my computer parts from them over the years and their service is top notch.

Mike
03-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
quick google for "composite to VGA":
Composite/S-Video to VGA Convertor | D&H Distributing | COMP2VGA

let me know what you think of the resolution...when I tried it on my TV, I wasn't impressed :-P
03-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Saw some of those but I'm avoiding additional boxes/contraptions to lug around. And they're not cheap. I'll just add some more money to get a screen with composite/s-video inputs.

Thanks though!
03-14-2009, 10:17 AM   #13

You mean like this?

DealExtreme: $2.92 VGA to Component Video TV-Out Cable
03-14-2009, 10:17 AM   #14
Forum Member

Ah, should have read the whole post. Oops.

If you're going to spend $50 on a box to convert composite video to VGA/DVI ...
Might at well jump the gun and spend another $150 on a 22" Dell monitor that has every input you'd ever need
03-14-2009, 10:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve500 Quote
Ah, should have read the whole post. Oops.

If you're going to spend $50 on a box to convert composite video to VGA/DVI ...
Might at well jump the gun and spend another $150 on a 22" Dell monitor that has every input you'd ever need
Yeah that's what I figured haha! Time for some saving up!