Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
Forum Member

Cleaning Focusing Screen

My focusing screen is... ABSOLUTELY DIRTY

Looking up to the sky with a clean lens on results in dirty deposits in several places of the viewfinder.

Can I remove the focusing screen and clean it in alcohol? What SHOULDN'T I clean the focusing screen with? I don't want to do any damaging.

K20D

Thanks

03-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't see why there would be anything on your screen that would require wiping; isn't it just dust and other solid object? In which case, removing the focusing screen and giving the inside a gentle blow of air should take care of most gunk.
03-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Conventional wisdom is that you should never touch the focus screen with anything. Having said that, camera repair guys are able to and do clean the things. If it really annoys you and the junk does not blow off (it takes a strong blower like the Giottos Rocket Blower), you might want to pay to have the camera cleaned by a pro.

Steve
03-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi,
If the dirt is really on the focusing screen then it quite easy to clean it: just take it out, blow with Giotto rocket. Check for presence of dust particles under a good light, if there're any left use sensor cleaning q-tips. You might find usefull the Youtube clip about changing a focusing screen. Also, there were a few threads related to this topic. If it's more than dust then, I guess you'd need some professional cleaning.
Good luck,

03-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Never, ever use alcohol or any other solvent to clean a screen. If you can't get the dust off the think by blowing it, either with a bulb blower or canned air, then a wet cleaning can be done.
However, just use a very small amount of dish detergent in a sink of lukewarm water for the wash, and don't use anything other than very light rubbing with your (clean) finger tips.
Follow this with several rinses of clear water, follwed by another couple of rinses in distilled (not purified, actual distilled) water.
Let it air dry, give it a light dusting off with a blower or canned air to remove any dust that's landed on it since you put it aside to dry, and put it back in.
It is a good idea to blow off the bottom of the prism while the screen is out, but don't ever touch it with anything wet. If something is stuck to it, use a speck grabber or similar.
03-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have used Ethylene Glycol Mono Butyl Ether on a Ca*** screen and it didn't seem to affect it at all.

The more common name is "Uvex Lens Cleaner" - the stuff in spray bottles that you see in factories for cleaning safety glasses etc.

Uvex 9992 clear lens cleaning fluids - Case/accessories from T-shirts, jackets, polo shirts and more - ladies, mens, childrens, boys, girls

This is the spec sheet.

http://www.labsafety.com/store/assets/support_documents/msds1300.pdf

But I take NO responsibility if it melts your screen - I use this stuff on everything optical and it's never affected anything of mine.