Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
Ed in GA

K100D, Cheating in manual mode

My K100D has a "manual" mode. But, it's not really.

Sometimes, it takes me a while to understand things I read in a manual.

Done through a menu option.

You can set either the f-stop or Shutter speed and with the "AE-lock" button, get the camera to set the corresponding correct exposure.

Is this really fullymanual? Na, I don't think so. I guess that it's kind of like the green button on the K10D

Dang, where did I put that old K1000.......

04-06-2007, 10:30 AM   #2
baw

QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
Is this really fullymanual? Na, I don't think so.
If I select M(anual) and turn the thumbwheel on my K100D the shutterspeed changes, pushing Av button AND turning thumbwheel changes aperture, with the camera indicating under- or overexposure.
Not so much different from my old K1000. Only the way to select the settings is a bit different.
04-06-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can set either the f-stop or Shutter speed and with the "AE-lock" button, get the camera to set the corresponding correct exposure.

Is this really fullymanual? Na, I don't think so. I guess that it's kind of like the green button on the K10D
Is this a gripe? Personally, I think the green button on the K10D is brilliant. I find myself using it a lot in M mode. I get the camera's thoughts on "proper" exposure, take a picture and look at it and the histogram - THEN I adjust as necessary. Not always, of course. Sometimes I know what I want without asking the camera. But I don't see what's wrong with being able to ask the camera to help me. Not much different from using an external light meter, is it?

Will
04-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Done the way you're doing it, yeah somewhat lazy. As described it's a semi-manual Av or Tv priority technique.

But if you are looking in the view finder and watching the digital meter reading and making a T or A adjustment (without resorting to the +/- button)--then yes, it's fully manual.

You are making all the exposure choices by first selecting the scene, subject or spot for the meter, holding that view and then 'matching the needle'--in this case a digital readout--with shutter or aperture settings---yep, that's manual.

04-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Or, you could total ignore the meter and set what ever settings you want.
04-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #6
Ed in GA

Well, it's not really a gripe, as such. And..... I suppose it's there to assist with using some of the older manual focus lens.

It just seemed a bit strange that a manual mode would be set up to be, in all reality, a semi automatic mode by adjusting exposure with the simple push of a button.

As with everything, there are pro's and con's.

BTW I actually discovered this quite by accident when someone aked me what the "a-el" button did and I said "Nothing in manual mode" but learned differently after I pressed it to show them that it did nothing.
04-06-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

But Eddy, It is manual mode. You set the shutter speed and aperture. The AE-lock (or green button) is there to allow metering for pre A lenses. That it works for post A lenses is a bonus.
04-06-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Why? If there is an Hyper manual *option*, why it isn't full manual anymore?? Just don't push the AE-L button if you don't want to use it! :-)

But practically, this HyM function is handy and with great convenience.

My K100D has a "manual" mode. But, it's not really.

Sometimes, it takes me a while to understand things I read in a manual.

Done through a menu option.

Dang, where did I put that old K1000.......

04-06-2007, 05:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I use the K100D a lot in manual, because I find it's a lot faster than Av for bumping the exposure up or down based on lighting conditions. Just leave the "needle" a little up or a little down and snap away. No more searching with my finger for the +/- button and changing the EV. The only time I ever really use the AE-L button is to get a meter reading with an M lens.
04-06-2007, 08:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I have used the M mode with the kit lens, mainly to verify that I COULD control both aperture and shutters speed, and it works as advertised. Today I took 175 frames of birds at an Audubon Reserve in M mode. Took my K100D with an older Sigma 70-210 lens my wife bought for her K1000. The camera couldn’t control anything on that lens and it didn’t complain. I am beginning to see that our manual lens only philosophy may not be wise for bird photos since it took me too long to set focus, aperture, and shutter when moving around. I noticed my “manual only” wife left her istD home and brought her Fuji S5200. I’ve asked for a Pentax 50-200 for my birthday, to match my kit 18-55. I’ll still use our manual lenses for most static applications.
04-07-2007, 08:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I pretty much only shoot in manual mode now, I just like the effects that I can get with it. Not to mention that the only auto lens that I have is the kit lens

I actually haven't had that much of a problem with birds either, although it's mostly because my Sigma 75 - 300 is pretty easy to focus quickly.

If I can't get the shot that I want the odd time I'll switch to auto and see what happens, so I wouldn't give it up for anything.
04-07-2007, 10:04 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax has had Hyper Manual in some of it's SLRs since as far back as the PZ-1P. If you use it all the time it is cheating, you are not really using manual. However that is not it's purpose. It was designed to allow you to quickly change your settings if something caught you eye while you were doing something else.

For example... say you are shooting a macro shot of a flower in the park. You have your manual settings set up for the depth of field you want and it is in the shade so your shutter is a bit slow. Then you see a cute girl on roller skates go by (or whatever might catch your attention) and you want a quick shot. She is not in the shade and moving fast. Your current settings are going to blow out the exposure and give you lots of motion blur. You need to quickly get to a new setting. Hit the green button, or miss the shot.

Remember, a camera is a tool. What you do with it is up to you.
04-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It is fully manual

In "M" mode you can set both f-stop and shutter speed (I can not see why it has to be either). Use meter reading to check where you are, similar to K1000 or MX. Than take a shot. There is no automation or any kind in this scenario.

Pressing AE-L is optional, that is, only if you want camera to help you to set starting aperture and/or shutter speed, or both (depending on the custom menu setting). Then again go manually from there.

QuoteQuote:
Is this really fullymanual?
It is fully manual. AE-L part is simply optional (so just don't use it).

But I find AE-L in manual mode to be of great help to quickly establish exposure parameters for an average scene and from there it is easy to use meter and adjust aperture or shutter speed according to the scene. (My setting is "shift Tv" with AE-L in M mode.)