Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D in-camera RAW conversion bug

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this:

I've found the K20D's in-camera RAW conversion very useful since my computer is currently not able to handle the RAW file sizes very quickly. However, as I'm setting up the parameters for conversion (JPEG quality, ISO, white balance, etc), I find that the camera doesn't 'respect' the custom white balance (WB) settings I've used in several images.

In other words, in Playback mode the image appears with the exact custom WB that I set, but as soon as I go to convert to JPEG and press the OK button to "Develop this image", the image appears along with the parameters but now all of a sudden its WB is all messed up and I'm forced to select one of the pre-set WB options. However, none of these quite match the 'perfect' WB that I took the time and effort to calibrate with my special WB filter.

I realize that I could correct this with Pentax Photo Laboratory (the only RAW converter that runs on my older Mac), but this application is deathly slow on my computer for one thing and again it's made worse by the large RAW file sizes.

Anyone know of an in-camera work-around for this other than the one I've described? I've suggested to Pentax that this be a possible firmware update, although I'm sure they won't care if I'm the only one who has this problem!