Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
(Granted, in real life you rarely or never need to shoot that many in a row.)
This is right on the money!
That is why I don't know what the big deal is about shooting in continous fast enough till the card gets full.
It would be like shooting a video wherein you can stitch together the shots to produce an animation..hehe (Although, you can do this too if you want to go for a different effect rather than go video..hehe)

04-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Green_Manelishi Quote
I searched the forums but found nothing that answers my specific question, so here is my situation and my question:

I have used, with no problems, non-high-speed 2GB SanDisk cards for continuous shooting outside in bright light. Am I correct in my assumption/belief the 2GB cards are sufficient due to the camera being limited to 3 FPS? I'd rather not spend the $$$ for high-speed cards when I rarely shoot in continuous mode.

Thanks.
You can shoot JPEG till camera is full.
From your use, it sounds like 2 GB would do the trick.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
It will slow down in jpeg mode too. You just didnít shoot long enough. It takes a while to fill the buffer if the card is ALMOST fast enough to keep up. (Granted, in real life you rarely or never needs to shoot that many in a row.)
Lately, I've been shooting continues in RAW. It takes up space, but choosing peak action, the buffer has been okay so far. Of cause wouldn't mind more fps.
04-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

K10 with a 18-55 kit lens.

The driver wasn't hanging about either.
04-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Continuous Shooting

I got 2 ea. 4Gb Extreme III's on a rebate deal last summer. I also have 4 ea. 2Gb (blue ones - I forget the name). I took them all to shoot my son's college Lacrosse game yesterday, shooting continuous for the first time. I shoot raw.

I know this is a card thread, but these settings may be helpful to you evaluating my experience. My settings on K10D/DA-55~300 were (from memory - maybe not perfectly correct):

Frame Rate -> Continuous
Av
f/4 to isolate the subject as much as possible
Multi-segment metering
SR -> On, but it wasn't always engaged. Sometimes action happened while waiting for the hand and I just had to shoot.
AF.C Center Point -> Back Button focus; focused on chest, zoomed to capture a margin of ground under the feet. (Focusing was the limiting factor)
ISO Auto -> 400 limit (outdoors bright sun) - rarely went above ISO 100
EXIF shows most at 1/1000, a few at 1/500

1. I never had a need to shoot more then 3 or 4 frames - I was timing my shots just as if I was shooting single.
  2. I never filled the buffer.
  3. I filled 1 1/2 4Gb cards
  4. I'm STILL post-processing

Result: He scored three and I got them all - I've never managed that before.