Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2009, 06:28 AM   #1

Continuous shooting with K10D

I searched the forums but found nothing that answers my specific question, so here is my situation and my question:

I have used, with no problems, non-high-speed 2GB SanDisk cards for continuous shooting outside in bright light. Am I correct in my assumption/belief the 2GB cards are sufficient due to the camera being limited to 3 FPS? I'd rather not spend the $$$ for high-speed cards when I rarely shoot in continuous mode.

Thanks.

03-16-2009, 07:23 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Well, i use single mode and 2Gb cards, a person at Pentax Germany say that Sandisk Ultra II is enough for K10D. I mainly use two 2Gb Extrem III, and those are cheap.
03-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K10D has a bigger buffer than the K100D. As long as you are not using continous mode in RAW, I think you should be fine with a regular speed rated SD card.
03-16-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have used regular speed cards in cont. mode shooting JPEG's with no problems. I haven't tried using RAW in cont. so I can't comment.

03-16-2009, 07:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
The K10D has a bigger buffer than the K100D. As long as you are not using continous mode in RAW, I think you should be fine with a regular speed rated SD card.
One of my things-to-do is begin using the RAW format when I think it appropriate (when I want to do something other than simply resize the image). I just snapped a picture and saved it both JPEG and RAW so I could compare size. WOW.

Very helpful information. Merci.

Last edited by Green_Manelishi; 03-16-2009 at 08:23 AM.
03-16-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never really paid attention to the speed ratings of the various cards, but Class 6 is supposed to be the highest speed class of the SDHC cards (yes, I know it varies within that class). You can find Class 6 SDHC cards for cheap. For example, Newegg.com has several for around $20 or under. They have an 8GB PNY card for under $20.

I buy memory on price, and I've never noticed a huge problem with shooting raw continuously on my K20D. I don't do it that often, though. I've also used the 21fps burst mode (those are 1.6mp jpgs, though) without problem.
03-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
abes of maine has 3 sandisk extreme 3 of the 4gb variety for $21 after the 60 rebate (I bought mine over xmas and just got my rebate...ymmv). so not that much out of pocket...

SANDISK 4GB SD Extreme III Memory Card
03-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I have tried two class 6 cards that where to slow, try jpeg and hold down the shutter for at least 15-20 seconds, the camera should not slowdown if the card is fast enough.

03-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Green_Manelishi Quote
One of my things-to-do is begin using the RAW format when I think it appropriate (when I want to do something other than simply resize the image). I just snapped a picture and saved it both JPEG and RAW so I could compare size. WOW.

Very helpful information. Merci.
Which is why we sometimes see behaviorly challenged individuals carrying 15 SD cards in their bag at all times. (I'm speaking of someone posting in the pictures of your packed bag post)
If you are at all interested in testing your patience and interests in RAW, you owe it to yourself to get free download trials of Picasa 3 and or Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.3. Very easy to get aquainted with.
03-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Which is why we sometimes see behaviorly challenged individuals carrying 15 SD cards in their bag at all times. (I'm speaking of someone posting in the pictures of your packed bag post)
If you are at all interested in testing your patience and interests in RAW, you owe it to yourself to get free download trials of Picasa 3 and or Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.3. Very easy to get aquainted with.
Thanks. I think RAW will appeal to me only when taking shots at night, early AM or evening. Editing a RAW image might help best reproduce what I actually see.
03-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have a 4gb kingston that isn't anything special ($15) and I shoot RAW+ JPEG. When I run continuous, it fires about 6-9 shots before it slows down. When it slows down, its at about 0.5-1fps.

I also have a 2gb Sandisk Extreme II, and I've done a 15 shot burst without it slowing down. Pretty sure the camera was set to RAW+
03-16-2009, 06:13 PM   #12

The speed of the card shouldn't have any affect on the speed of the continuous shooting, it will always remain ~3fps until the buffer is full. A faster card will be able to empty out the buffer quicker allowing you to get a few more shots in before the camera slows down (and/or do another burst). With my regular speed Sandisk SD card I get 8 RAW shots in a burst, the DPR review showed they got 10 shots with a Sandisk Extreme III and a Lexar 133x card. The Extreme III cleared the buffer (allowing for another burst) in 7.1 seconds, the Lexar 133x in 6.2 seconds.

For me, I never really do bursts of more than 2-4 shots, so I've never bothered with anything other than cheap slow cards.
03-17-2009, 01:45 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mutedphotos Quote
The speed of the card shouldn't have any affect on the speed of the continuous shooting, it will always remain ~3fps until the buffer is full.
Exactly, until the buffer is full, after that the shooting rate depends entirely on the speed of the card. And with a fast card you will never fill the buffer if you shoot jpg.
03-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Exactly, until the buffer is full, after that the shooting rate depends entirely on the speed of the card. And with a fast card you will never fill the buffer if you shoot jpg.
Neither will you fill the buffer with a slow card shooting jpeg, I just checked using my bottom-tier sandisk 2GB card.

If you shoot jpeg, but whatever card you want, it won't make a difference in the speed of the camera.

Only if you do a lot of continuous shooting in RAW will a high speed card ever be necessary.
03-18-2009, 02:52 AM   #15
Pentaxian

It will slow down in jpeg mode too. You just didnít shoot long enough. It takes a while to fill the buffer if the card is ALMOST fast enough to keep up. (Granted, in real life you rarely or never needs to shoot that many in a row.)