Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #1

Possibly a Dumb Question...

I've lurked for far too long, and have to post to ask a dumb 'newbie' question (I'll probably get told to use the search feature... but I've searched here for 3 days, and DPReviews forums, Photo.net forums, and a few others... )

At some point, someone had posted recommended custom picture settings for the K200D (+/- on the various settings), and a lot of people liked them.

I tried them, loved them, left them alone. Then, when cleaning my camera I hit the reset switch in the menu then realized it reset my custom picture settings. D'oh.

Any current recommendations?

03-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try to peek into the EXIF info on the last picture you liked. That info will give you a pretty good idea on how your settings were before hitting the panic button.
03-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, I wasn't aware that the custom settings info was in the EXIF tags.
03-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Download the free program PhotoMe and you'll be amazed a what is in the metadata.

03-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #5

if you find these settings, can you post them here. I would like to see and try them too. Thanks.
03-18-2009, 06:20 AM   #6

Original Poster
These are near as I can tell what I was set at:
  • +1 Saturation
  • -1 Hue
  • +2 Contrast
  • +2 Sharp

I'm still playing with tweaking it and not terribly satisfied at the moment - I feel I'll never be truly satisfied though. I love really contrasty images, and vibrant images (I used to shoot only Fuji "OMG THE GREEN IS BLINDING ME" film on a Takumar 135mm F2.5 on my K1000, and I was happy then) but still trying to achieve that perfect balance of Saturation/Contrast/Sharp.

I'm getting a FA 50mm F1.4 in the mail today, I'm gonna try and sit down and tweak this until I'm happy with it (or my kid gets tired of having her picture taken).

Last edited by Preachidus; 03-18-2009 at 02:53 PM.
03-18-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The thing is, it is misguided to expect that one set of image settings will be "best" for every image you might take. It is equally misguided to expect that one set of images settings will be seen by two different people as "best" even for one specific image. This stuff is all very subjective. If it weren't; Pentax would have just mde the "best" settings the default, and indeed, wouldn't have offered any other options - who *wouldn't* want the best settings all the time?
03-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #8

Original Poster
Agreed. This was just a generic 'snapshot' setting, something to use as a baseline from observed characteristics and tweaking thereof; i.e. attempting to achieve what I referred to as the aforementioned 'Fujicolor' look - also, a lot of people have commented on whether the K200D is sharp enough or over-sharp.

When shooting for prints I tend to over-sharpen a bit as I've seen many customers want their pictures to be extremely sharp - to the point of artifacts - which I think is a blowback from the muddy pictures a lot of cheap point-and-shoots suffer from.

Frankly, I love tweaking the settings for each picture type. I was just trying to remember the old settings I used as a "hand to wife and let her take a picture" crutch.

03-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Preachidus Quote
Agreed. This was just a generic 'snapshot' setting, something to use as a baseline from observed characteristics and tweaking thereof; i.e. attempting to achieve what I referred to as the aforementioned 'Fujicolor' look - also, a lot of people have commented on whether the K200D is sharp enough or over-sharp.
And FWIW, I didn't respond to your original post, because you had made it clear there was a specific set of settings that you found *you* liked, and you were just looking to retrieve them. A perfectly understandable goal, and one I couldn't help with, so I didn't say anything. Looking at the EXIF is a brilliant suggestion; glad someone came up with it

But for anyone *else* to assume that those same settings work be something *they* liked more than the defaults seems rather random. Kind of like someone winning the lottery, then others asking what numbers they played so they can try them too.
03-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
shoot raw.
03-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I didn't respond to your original post, because you had made it clear there was a specific set of settings that you found *you* liked, and you were just looking to retrieve them.
No worries, I don't expect a response at all, I looked at the EXIF across a few of the shots I'd really liked and recreated the settings and set them back to where I think they were.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
But for anyone *else* to assume that those same settings work be something *they* liked more than the defaults seems rather random. Kind of like someone winning the lottery, then others asking what numbers they played so they can try them too.
Exactly. I have one setup just for when I've got a lens reverse mounted that has everything set way down low; I've found its easier to go from there to a usable image (usually for photography of engravings or jewelry).

QuoteOriginally posted by al_undy Quote
shoot raw.
I do. I shoot RAW+JPEG; for two reasons:

When someone asks for copies of the photos before I've had a chance to develop them in Lightroom/PS I send down-res'd versions of the JPEGs from the camera - with a disclaimer that the image is not a final sample and is just a preview yadda yadda yadda.

I also use the JPEG as a reference for what I was trying to do - example, if I've got it set to Custom B/W with a strong tint, I use that JPEG as a guide for what I want the raw to end up like (ie, a B/W). This is extremely helpful because the in-camera settings are lost when importing to Lightroom/PS (defaults are over-ridden).

It makes sense to my addled brain.