Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2009, 12:24 AM   #1

K20D Infrared RAW Settings

Hi I took some Infrared shots with the infrared settings enabled on k20d. I always shoot in RAW. Then when I import the image in lightroom, lightroom shows me the infrared image for a split second but then turnns it into color. When I try to open the file with photoshop its the same issue. I want my RAW files in Lightroom the way i shot them. Is there any way of getting back the infrared result

thanks

Last edited by Burgerbrater; 03-17-2009 at 01:46 AM.
03-17-2009, 04:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Moved to dSLR section.
03-17-2009, 06:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I believe that the infrared is just a JPG processing selection, like "Natural", "Bright", "Black/White", "Sepia", etc. You either need to shoot JPG or RAW+JPG or you can probably use Pentax's Photo Laboratory to process the RAWs - I think any third-party RAW processor, like Lightroom, will treat the photo like any other RAW photo and apply its own defaults. You can probably find an infrared-style LR preset if that's what you're after.

To get "real" infrared shots, you need a filter on your lens.
03-17-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Groucho is correct. The "custom image" presets when shooting RAW only affect the embedded JPEG thumbnail inside the RAW file. When you pull the image into LR it will use that embedded JPEG to create its own preview thumb but as soon as you switch to any other view than Thumbnails and/or enter Develop you'll be presented with the actual RAW data that doesn't have the "infrared" filter applied.

03-17-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes, the Image/Monochrome/Infrared setting is really just a digital (internal process) high-contrast filter of visible-light JPG output and DOES NOT provide any real IR capability. The cam's physical Hot Filter blocks IR. You can put an IR-passing / visible-light-blocking filter on the lens; you'll then generally need LONG exposures. Or you can have the Hot Filter removed (this is costly), put an IR-pass filter on the lens, and do handheld IR photography; but then you'll need an on-lens IR-block filter to do any visible-light shooting. Look for extensive discussions of IR work on other threads here.