Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2007, 10:13 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Corrupt PEF files

This has happened to me twice and I am getting a bit concerned. In three years of shooting DSLRs it has not happened to me until I got my latest card.

When using my new Transcend 2gig SD card I have had two image files end up corrupt and can't rescue them. So far they have not been important images, but I don't want to wait until I lose important ones to ask the question.

Is this the card or the camera (K10D)? If it is the card I am going to have to switch back to the more expensive cards.

04-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I hear of some problems with the Transcend cards lately. Might be wise to switch.

Walt
04-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I just went to Costco and they had the Ultra II (Snadisk) 2gb cards for only $35. Not as fast at 60x but I have been shooting them for 3 years and haven't lost a single file. They are also black so they match the camera. (lol)
04-07-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Transcend 2 Giga Card

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
This has happened to me twice and I am getting a bit concerned. In three years of shooting DSLRs it has not happened to me until I got my latest card.

When using my new Transcend 2gig SD card I have had two image files end up corrupt and can't rescue them. So far they have not been important images, but I don't want to wait until I lose important ones to ask the question.

Is this the card or the camera (K10D)? If it is the card I am going to have to switch back to the more expensive cards.
I am using the Transcend 150x 2 Giga Cards with no problem. They are incredibly fast and tested them with my three bodies and had no problems what so ever. They have a "Lifetime" warranty so if you have any doubts use the warranty.

Ben

04-07-2007, 03:09 PM   #5

So am I, my Transcend 2 Gb 150x isn't giving me any problem with my K10D. But it's possible you've just had bad luck with yours.
04-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I was bound to have bad luck with something. I have had very good luck with most of my camera equipment. I still have the Transcend card and have other devices I can use it in. For the price it is a great deal for my Palm T|X. If it gives me any more trouble I will send it in for repair/replacement.

It is also possible there is a different problem entirely. I can see a thumbnail for the file in Adobe Bridge, but when I try to open it nothing happens. Lightroom tells me that the file is either corrupt or incompatible. It could even be in the camera.
04-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I posted about this a few days ago; guess you didn't scroll down the forums far enough to see it. (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photo-tips-technique/5172-opening-bad-cor...raw-files.html)

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
It is also possible there is a different problem entirely. I can see a thumbnail for the file in Adobe Bridge, but when I try to open it nothing happens. Lightroom tells me that the file is either corrupt or incompatible.
I worked with Randy for a bit trying to get the image open to no avail. Maybe one of the things he suggests will work for you.
I was finally able to view the embedded jpg thumbnail with Pentax Photo Lab, and Irfan View (on recommendation by jfdavis), but just the thumbnail. The file shows up as a broken image with the Elements 5 Organizer, and all RAW converters I've tried spit the file right back. I used the in-camera conversion to develop the PEF to jpg.

I really honestly think it's just a hiccup (and I'd really rather not see this issue blown into recent VPN-sized mega-issue proportions). If you'd like to point a finger, it might be the camera, because I use exclusively Sandisk Ultra II 2GB cards, bought from high quality vendors (2 from Best Buy, 3 from Sandisk directly, and 2 from Costco). My card usage might as well be kosher, as well.

04-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If the card gets full and the pef gets written to an area without enough room it will end up corrupt. Happens to me alot so I just use DNG and it hasn't happened.
04-07-2007, 06:04 PM   #9
Inactive Account

It shouldn't get blown up as the VPN problem as it is no near the same level of a problem.

One thing I wonder about is how you transferred the file from the memory card to the computer. Once with my DS I got a few corrupted pictures. I got a bit upset as these were "real" pictures. After having collected some advice and opinions about everything from battery condiitons to "just buy a Canon" I found that it was my card reader that had a hickup.

So, try to download the picture from the card to the copmputer using another method (another card reader, directly from the camera, to another computer, whatever that isn''t the same you tried previously).

If the camera can convert the picture from raw to JPG the data obviously is there, uncorrupted.

Or I miss something, Lol, that happens often enough...

regards,
04-07-2007, 10:43 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I certainly don't see this getting blown out of proportion.

The only reason that I thought of the card first is that out of over 1,200 images only two had been bad and they were both on the same card. The majority of my images were on the Ultra IIs with no problems. This does not mean that one is better by design, it could have been a one off from the factory. It could even be pure coincidence. Since I only have one of the Transcend cards I don't have anything to compare it to.

With most of the 1,200 images on the K10 being on Ultra II and most of my well over 10,000 images from my *istD being on Ultra II CF I have a lot of good experience with them so I got some more of them.

My Transcend card may be fine and it is still in use, just in a different device. If the other device has problems with it then it is the card. If the camera has the same problem with one of the other cards eventually then it is something else. Sounds like a good way to narrow down the problem to me, and I needed a couple more cards anyway.
04-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
If the card gets full and the pef gets written to an area without enough room it will end up corrupt. Happens to me alot so I just use DNG and it hasn't happened.
Although this hasn't happened to me, I read a book by the author scott kelby (photoshop user magazine) and he said never completely fill your card when shooting raw.... leave the card one shot empty or it can become corrupt.

funny thing is I was working on a .pef in photoshop and saved it as a .psd. for some reason it did not save with any extension on the file (got an error unknow file type) . I renamed with a .psd extension and it opened fine.
not sure if any of this will help

randy
04-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My corrupt files were on cards that weren't even close to being full. Maybe a dozen or so shots on a 2gb card.
04-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Dave it sounds like your Transcend card has bad blocks. I had a DanElec card that would produce a corrupt image always close to the same point in the image count on the card.

Your other devices might successfully be writing out the bad block.
04-09-2007, 03:14 AM   #14

I have read bad things about Transcend 60x cards, but nothing but good things about the Transcend 2 Gb 150x cards, one of which I am using with no problems.

I have seen issues like this with quite a few brands of cards (CF & SD) if you try to put too many files on the cards (shooiting until they are full), which is why I stop before mine are completely filled up.

Get a different card!

FWIW I had to have Costco replace a Sandisk Ultra II 2gb card that went belly up and was not readable at all.

Tom

Last edited by TomE; 04-09-2007 at 03:19 AM.
04-09-2007, 05:10 PM   #15
Forum Member

You might try getting or borrowing a copy of the Rescue Pro software. A copy came with my SanDisk Extreme III card. It supposedly works for any memory card format.