Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
Pentaxian

K2000, manual lens, and Av mode

How on earth did they do that?

Pentax K2000 Test by Philip Ryan, Popular Photography, April 2009, page 75:

"We popped a 50mm f/1.4 K-mount manual focus Pentax lens on the K2000, using the aperture ring to control the f-stop ..... and shot in aperture-priority mode with no problem."

Is this really true?

I can't do this with my K10D body. If the camera is in Av mode, the manual lens will be in full-aperture regardless of the aperture ring setting. There is a trick of not rotating the K-mount lens fully (so you are in stop-down mode) but I don't think it is the case here.

Last edited by SOldBear; 03-18-2009 at 12:31 PM.
03-18-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe green button has additional functions now?
03-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Maybe they used an -A lens.
03-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by igowerf Quote
Maybe they used an -A lens.
Maybe. But this is not possible with any lens: "...using the aperture ring to control the f-stop..."

The aperture ring of the -A lens (or any lens) has to be at "A" and the camera, not the lens, controls the f-stop.

03-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #5

You sound like you might know the answer to this: I just got a K20D and am attempting to use a bunch of my old manual lenses (belows macro - telephoto -etc). Is there an instruction set somewhere on how to do that? I cannot find it in the manual.
03-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
How on earth did they do that?

Pentax K2000 Test by Philip Ryan, Popular Photography, April 2009, page 75:

"We popped a 50mm f/1.4 K-mount manual focus Pentax lens on the K2000, using the aperture ring to control the f-stop ..... and shot in aperture-priority mode with no problem."

Is this really true?

I can't do this with my K10D body. If the camera is in Av mode, the manual lens will be in full-aperture regardless of the aperture ring setting. There is a trick of not rotating the K-mount lens fully (so you are in stop-down mode) but I don't think it is the case here.
I did that all the time not knowing that the aperture is actually wide open in all f-stops in the K mount lens.

Is that possible that the writer just forget to check the shutter to see that there is actualy no changes on the same scene? Or that the f/1.4 K mount is superb wide open that he shoot all test shots thinking he has changed the apertures.
03-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

"..... and shot in aperture-priority mode with no problem."

I can't do this with my K10D body.
I haven't read the article, but I'm guessing there's a difference in the interpretation of what "AV Mode" means. A manual lens cannot be in anything other than "Av Mode" because the camera has no way to control the aperture. So in other words, if you set the camera's mode dial to "M", set the aperture ring to some value and then use the green button to meter, you're effectively in AV Mode because the camera is selecting a shutter speed based on the aperture you've chosen on the lens.
03-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Maybe. But this is not possible with any lens: "...using the aperture ring to control the f-stop..."

The aperture ring of the -A lens (or any lens) has to be at "A" and the camera, not the lens, controls the f-stop.
Ah. You're absolutely right.

03-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't know anything about what the quoted photographer did nor the lens in question, but using the aperture ring to control the f-stop is the only way to control it on some lenses. I've got 4 M42 Super Takumars like that.
03-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr J Quote
You sound like you might know the answer to this: I just got a K20D and am attempting to use a bunch of my old manual lenses (belows macro - telephoto -etc). Is there an instruction set somewhere on how to do that? I cannot find it in the manual.

set custom setting 36 to "permitted"
set custom setting 30 to "optical preview"
you should be able to now use ur old manual lenses (the ones w/o the aperture ring)
03-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
I don't know anything about what the quoted photographer did nor the lens in question, but using the aperture ring to control the f-stop is the only way to control it on some lenses. I've got 4 M42 Super Takumars like that.
Right, M42 lenses will work with the aperture ring in Av mode, but K-mount lenses don't. I'm guessing the reviewer simply didn't realize the aperture ring was being ignored.