Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2009, 06:53 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by LRB21 Quote
Seems to me like they should just do a firmware update where the camera quits working a little sooner so that the batteries don't get depleted enough to cause malfunctions.
It's ironic that many other people complain that the camera gives up too soon on rechargeables in general. Heck, I've had mine give up on usable alkalines.

Given the wide range of tolerances different batteries have, I think they've most likely struck the best balance they could given the limits of current technology. Maybe in the next camera they'll put in more sophisticated battery sensors, and a menu option for the battery type...

Malfunctions in general would most likely be addressed by tweaking the regulation circuitry, which is not something that can be fixed in firmware.

04-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That happens to my K200D all the time, I think especially when my batteries are low or I have touched them in a while. (Rechargeable AAs : Eneloops, Cyclenergy)

My camera shutter trips sporadically. I think Pentax might need to look at the circuitry or my batteries are aging.
04-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given the wide range of tolerances different batteries have, I think they've most likely struck the best balance they could given the limits of current technology. Maybe in the next camera they'll put in more sophisticated battery sensors, and a menu option for the battery type...

Thanks Quension for the clarification. Now that you mention it I've owned cameras before that allow you to choose the battery type in a menu. Seems like that would be a good option.
In the meantime since I'll be changing batteries 3/4 of the way down, I'm trying Powerex 2700 rechargables instead of the Lithiums I was using before. I've taken about 300 shots and the indicator still says they're full, pretty good results so far.
01-01-2010, 02:44 AM   #19

this just happened to me! freaked me out too!

plus, this is the only page i found via google about the shutter going rambo

01-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm another K200D user with phantom shutter firings. My camera started having the second shutter actuation occasionally when my camera would go into sleep mode after a shot. Now it's firing the shutter twice perhaps once every 25 shots. It's time for some battery research. Thanks for the information in this thread.
05-01-2010, 03:21 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Anyone else still having this problem? I was just out and my K200D started firing on it's own.
05-01-2010, 04:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

OK, I did a little testing and it seems to happen with a M42 lens but a KA-lens works just fine. Any way to fix this?