Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K200D shutter auto firing

Hey guys this happened not too long ago but it kind of slipped my mind. It was a reasonably warm day and i was at a car racing event. Anyway as the cars came down the straight and made the first turn i swept with them with my finger held on the button. However, once i released my finger the shutter kept firing to the point where it started to scare me a little. I switched the camera off but it kept firing. In the end i had to resort to taking the AA lithiums out!

The drive mode was set to continuous shooting and the sun was directly hitting the camera, although, i was not shooting into the sun. I just had a look at a few of the photos with PhotoME close to when it happened, (within the hour), and from what i can see the max the camera temperature rose to was 34 degress C.

Does anyone have any clue why this might have happened and should i be worried?

Cheers.

K200D, DA 18-250mm

03-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

i had the same thing happen once when my batteries were well and truly on the way out. i just assumed it was related to that...

hasnt happened again though
03-24-2009, 05:41 PM   #3

Yep! Just had the same thing happen over the last week and I must say it scared the crap out of me. The only way I could stop the rapid fire of the K200 was to open the battery compartment door. In each of the instances the battery level was low and needed to be changed. Once the batteries were replace all was well. Thanks for the thread as I was thinking it needed to be sent out for repair.
03-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
srp

yep happened to me once when I 1st got my k200d...around Sept last year. I think the batteries were getting low and I had to take them out to stop it from firing. Hasn't happened since though. Very Strange!

03-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have had this happen to my K200D when using M42 lenses in single fire mode. Sometime it will do a double-shutter release (two back to back shutters, but only take a picutre during one of them) when I press the shutter to take a picture. It will also occasionally just randomly trip the shutter (again, not necessarily producing a photo)...but happens more often if I have the metering on by half-depressing the shutter button. It really annoys me and yes it is scary to have the camera doing things on its own like that.

I wonder if Pentax would be able to fix it (or even diagnose it for that matter) under warranty? Any thoughts?
03-30-2009, 04:33 AM   #6

As long as it doesn't achieve sentience...
04-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So I'm not the only one....

I've had the exact thing happen. The first time was the end of June 2008 about a month after I got my camera and probably the first time the lithiums ran out. I searched everywhere I could think of for some information about it and didn't find any. I called Pentax and they told me to send it in. I did, they tried to duplicate the problem and couldn't. However they did replace a circuit that controls timing and recalibrated the camera anyway.
I got it back and it didn't happen the next two times I changed the batteries, but that might have been because I was hyper aware of when they might run out. Then it happened again in Dec. right before the holidays of course. I took the batteries out and replaced them with new ones. It was fine until yesterday which was the next time the batteries ran out.
It happened on a Friday, again... So I'm going to call Pentax again on Monday. My warranty runs out in June so I want to get this settled before then. I'll keep you posted.
I also would like to encourage the rest of you to call them and report the issue because the first time I worked with them they had never heard of this issue before.

04-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
Forum Member

Update: I spoke with someone at Pentax today. They still have never heard of this problem. I included a link to this thread on one of the support forms on their site. I'm hoping they'll look into it.
04-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It sounds like possibly the shutter release button is getting cocked a little bit, and when you release it, it doesn't really return to the normal up position (it's still making contact, thus firing the shutter).

Taking the batteries out and replacing them may be a red herring, as to do that you normally invert the camera at least once which could unstick the button.
04-10-2009, 02:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
It sounds like possibly the shutter release button is getting cocked a little bit, and when you release it, it doesn't really return to the normal up position (it's still making contact, thus firing the shutter).

Taking the batteries out and replacing them may be a red herring, as to do that you normally invert the camera at least once which could unstick the button.
Even if the shutter button sticks a little bit, it would NOT shout continuously on AF-S. I'm almost 99%sure most of those cameras were on single shot, not continuous.
04-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
I have had this happen to my K200D when using M42 lenses in single fire mode. Sometime it will do a double-shutter release (two back to back shutters, but only take a picutre during one of them) when I press the shutter to take a picture. It will also occasionally just randomly trip the shutter (again, not necessarily producing a photo)...but happens more often if I have the metering on by half-depressing the shutter button. It really annoys me and yes it is scary to have the camera doing things on its own like that.

I wonder if Pentax would be able to fix it (or even diagnose it for that matter) under warranty? Any thoughts?
have had this happen with 2 of my takumars as well was wondering if maybe it was the coating on the lens or maybe the button on the back may be an issue with the 200 but thats the only time I have had this happen
04-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Even if the shutter button sticks a little bit, it would NOT shout continuously on AF-S. I'm almost 99%sure most of those cameras were on single shot, not continuous.
Ah, I missed that - thought somebody mentioned AF-C. Thanks flyer.
04-20-2009, 04:52 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Have not had this happen to me since.

Is this a thing only occuring with the 200D?

LRB21, any more responses from Pentax?
04-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #14

I think I may have tempted fate with the sentience comment. Mine's done this twice now, both with my aged Kodak rechargables. It also seems to lock up when it (presumably) switches between battery sets. :ugh: At least it hasn't done it too recently.
04-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #15
Forum Member

Have not had any further response from Pentax about this, they didn't respond to the web form I sent including a link to this thread. It is only the K200D as far as I know that does this. The guy at Pentax I spoke to over the phone did say that although he hadn't heard of this specific problem, he had heard of other K200 malfunctions when the battery gets below 1/4 power left. He therefore recommends that whether you use lithiums or rechargables that you watch your battery gauge like the gas gauge in your car and just change them when they get 3/4 down.
Seems to me like they should just do a firmware update where the camera quits working a little sooner so that the batteries don't get depleted enough to cause malfunctions.