Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2009, 05:53 AM   #1

Buttons not responding .. ?

Hello,

Yesterday when I was taking some photos, and when I went to look back at the photos, the playback button didn't work, and some of the other buttons didn't either, it was strange. I turned it off, waited a minute, and tried again, and everything was fine.

It's a K10D. I had my Pentax-M 28mm F2.8 mounted on it.

Any idea what that was? Is this normal?

-Isaac

03-20-2009, 06:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check that all dials are locked into a true clicked position. If any of the dials (front, or rear e-dial, or focus point selector) is "between clicks", then such strange behavior happens. If you have the battery grip, check dials on it too.
03-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The battery may be low, or you may need to take it out for a minute and put it back in. Let us know how you make out.
03-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Check that all dials are locked into a true clicked position. If any of the dials (front, or rear e-dial, or focus point selector) is "between clicks", then such strange behavior happens. If you have the battery grip, check dials on it too.
Second that. I noticed a few times my buttons were flakey and then someone pointed out this fix. Now, I never have this happen as I'll check the wheels, especially on the grip.

03-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Mine was doing exactly the same thing today, it wouldn't scroll through the pic's I'd taken. After turning it off / on it was fine.

But I'm sat here with my K10 & grip and have tried the 'wheel inbetween clicks' on the grip, and it stops the scrolling.

My frustration and cursing was all in vain.
03-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #6

What about a poor mount of the lens? I have heard that if it is not properly mounted you could see this kind of situation as well. for future use, perhaps spin it off and back on, making sure it is firmly and correctly in place...
03-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't forget that if the grip is turned on, when using the camera in landscape mode, your little finger will brush the shutter release. I finally realized that when my LCD went dark, that's what I was doing. I now use the ritual of camera vertical, grip on, take shot, grip off, camera horizontal. I also make sure that all the little wheels are scrolled into a detent. It's always the little things that bite me where it's painful to sit down.
03-20-2009, 10:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Don't forget that if the grip is turned on, when using the camera in landscape mode, your little finger will brush the shutter release.
You mean we're not supposed to do this? That's how I get some of my better "abstract" shots!

03-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
You mean we're not supposed to do this? That's how I get some of my better "abstract" shots!
SSHHHHH - Don't let everyone else in on the secret!