Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Datestamp on Pentax K10D

Is there any way of imprinting the date and time on an image? I used to be able to do this on my Pentax XZ7 film camera, but do not see any way to do it on my DSLR. Note - I can do this on my wife's Kodak point and shoot digital camera. Am I missing something obvious, or does this have to be done after using either Pentax's or a 3rd party imaging software package (I have Photoshop Elements and Adobe Lightroom).

03-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's in the EXIF information for the print. No need to ruin the photo by putting the date on the image. Technology advances. (Not always for the better, of course.)
03-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Date and Time Stamp

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
It's in the EXIF information for the print. No need to ruin the photo by putting the date on the image. Technology advances. (Not always for the better, of course.)
Understood, but I am taking pictures that display the progress of an experiment over a period of time. It would be very helpful if I could display the date and time on the print rather then having to manually document it later on.
03-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you are printing them yourself your printing software should have an option for putting the date on the photos. I am sure you can do the same if you have them printed else where, you just have to let them know that is what you want.

03-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blegs38552 Quote
Understood, but I am taking pictures that display the progress of an experiment over a period of time. It would be very helpful if I could display the date and time on the print rather then having to manually document it later on.
Ahhh...I feel much better now. I was afraid you were putting the date across that beautiful picture of a meadow....or Grandma.

I agree with the other poster, you'll probably have to do it in printing somehow. If you send the prints out for printing, perhaps they have an option to pull the date shot and print it on the image? I really don't know.
03-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Many programs when used as a viewer have the option of displaying exif on the side. Lightroom for example has something very similar to a date stamp displayed on the top left of the screen. But of course this is if you view digitally. If definitely have to have it printed you can maybe ask the shop to print the exif date at the back of the photo?

If you definitely have to have it on the digital copy (I wonder why you would, though), you have to edit it in some program somehow. Photoshop can be set to apply similar settings over and over with something called droplet, but I'm not sure if you can get an exif data put on it. I guess you can keep two copies this way, one with the date and one without.

Here's a lightroom screenshot, the IMGPxxx.jpg can be set to display date as well. I rename all my files to yyyymmdd - name.jpg with lightroom. These photos haven't gone through that process yet since I usually rename after I sort keepers.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 03-20-2009 at 02:31 PM.
03-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Get Gena Photo Stamper... Gena PhotoStamper - Add datestamp to images

It's an inexpensive shareware that will add a date and time stamp to a photo and it's reversable.

I used to use it years ago in my old job to date and timestamp pictures for court.

Pat
03-22-2009, 08:38 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Turns out the the software included with the camera includes the ability to print with the date andtime. Why go searching for something that we (should) ave aready?

03-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blegs38552 Quote
Turns out the the software included with the camera includes the ability to print with the date andtime. Why go searching for something that we (should) ave aready?
I totally forgot about that! Good catch!