Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2009, 12:33 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
No, you're right, I made a mistake earlier. I've checked now. ON the K20D, the green button does not seem to do anything in Av or Tv mode, and as far as I can tell it doesn't do anything in Sv (sensitivity-priority) mode either. Sorry for my earlier mistake. It should be obvious that I never use Av or Tv.... :-)

Will
Hi, i have a K20D and am still pretty new to it, however i've noticed that my green button does Program Line in Sv mode, probably because my custom setting C21 is set to 2 (front dial is for Program Shift, rear dial for ISO). In Tv mode the green button works too, with C22 set to 5 (front dial for ISO and rear for Tv).

In Av my green button doesn't do anything, with C23 set to 2 (+/- on front dial, Av on rear). Actually i've just changed C23 to 4 (ISO on front, Av on rear) and the green button is now enabled to set ISO back to AUTO!! I'll have to try this combination of settings tonight. I normally leave my ISO on manual but have since yesterday started trialing AUTO to see if there's ANY use in it, so perhaps this affects the green button's function too.

Note that my C1 is set to 4 if that makes any difference.

03-23-2009, 01:07 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Not Really Exact :)

Hyper Program simply means instantaneous switching to S or A mode (aka Tv or Av modes) from P mode is possible by turning the front or rear control wheel respectively. P mode can be recalled with a touch of button (previously the IF (Interactive Function) button and now the green button).

Hyper Manual simply means one-time but not continuous A or S mode is used, either, depending on model and what custom setting is set in the custom function. The correct exposure is obtained by a touch of button (but this measurement and exposure setting is one-off).

I think I have occasionally used a couple of Pentax terms incorrectly and I'd like to make sure I've got it right.
"Hyper-program" = P mode on the K10D/K20D only. When you switch to P mode on one of these cameras, or when you hit the green button, the camera sets the aperture and shutter speed automatically based on the stored program line pref. But you can override that automatic setting by moving the rear e-dial or the front e-dial, which will switch the camera into aperture priority or shutter priority mode respectively. P mode on the K100D and K200D is NOT "hyper-program," it's just a Program mode.

"Hyper-manual": On the K10D/K20D, this is M mode.
Now, my questions.

1, Are the two paragraphs above correct?

2, If I've got it right, what's the point of the term "hyper-manual"? I mean, what's hyper about it? It's just plain manual, no?

3, Do hyper-program and hyper-manual on the digital SLRs differ from features of the same name on Pentax film cameras? I gather that they do.

Thanks,

Will
03-23-2009, 11:03 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The thing that I personally find most interesting about M on the K10D/K20D is the fact that you can get shutter and aperture locked to one another, so you move one and the other adjusts.
That does indeed sound like a cool feature, and I can see how that does parallel the use of the term "hyper program", so you might be right about what "hyper manual" is supposed to refer to. On the other hand, I don't know that it is an
"official" term at all - I suspect it's just something people on these forums kind of made up, so it could mean different things to different people.

QuoteQuote:
I appreciate hearing that you regard the green button as integral. I certainly agree that the green button is darned useful!

I really would like to know if this is indeed a feature unique to Pentax. It's so clever that I can't imagine nobody has copied it by now.
I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if *someone* hasn't, but it is definitely not a standard feature. Without it, I don't know if I could stand using M mode all the time, but as it is, I virtually never use any other mode.
03-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #19
Site Supporter

E-mail to Pentax

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Sidebar: HyperProgram (P) on the K20D does not function "correctly". It "should" seemlessly switch between Av and Tv modes, self adjusting ISO as you reach minimums and maximums of shutter/aperture. It doesn't; at least not with firmware 1.01.
Especially for Venturi and Arpe,
I just sent Pentax an e-mail about this issue. (Their website is not the most user-friendly for trying to contact them by e-mail! For one thing, there's no confirmation to me whether it was even actually sent, with that "webmail form" of theirs...) Anyway, for all I know someone else has already contacted them about this, but I figured even so it won't hurt to bug them again.
(Besides, have you ever heard "The story of Everybody, Somebody, and Nobody"? ) I tried to link the three discussion threads that refer to this, within my e-mail, but I wasn't able to. I did provide the thread titles and dates at least. I also mentioned that this problem affects the K10D as well. I ended by asking them if they planned any firmware updates to correct this problem on the K20D, their current flagship model. If / when I hear back from them, I'll be sure to pass it along.
Paul