Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2009, 04:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Haakan Quote
The image quality of K20D is superior to the 50D.

Look at these crops, both at ISO1600 to stress them somewhat (downloaded from Imaging Resource). The crops first show K20D and then 50D. The K20D crops show a lot more detail, IMHO it is not even a close race.

Haakan
I'm pretty sure those where taken in jpg mode which means the Canon is more aggressive at noise reduction at the cost of detail. Something we've known Pentax does (a good thing). Shooting RAW there wouldn't be that much (if any) difference.

John

03-21-2009, 04:59 AM   #17

these two pictures have different focus.
03-21-2009, 05:03 AM   #18

despite that, k20d seems sharper
03-21-2009, 05:45 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
I agree

QuoteQuote:
Wouldn't matter if it was a Pentax/Canon/Olympus/Canon/etc user. The actual photographer has taken his/her skills to the next level.

Rather than maker v maker, think about one's own skills with the equipment that you have and look to further your ability.
A swith to a "better" camera might improve your pics to some extent, but you really got to kow your stuff to consistently turn out quality pics.
I agree, this is very much true. My post was rather a reaction to some categorical statements with no substanse or backing. I just wanted to show that if you for some reason have a very biased mindset, you can always find examples to try to prove your claims. But since the selection of examples is done with a biased mindset, the claims are more or less useless as a fair comparison.

When I purchased my K10D had no earlier investments in photographic gear. My short list was the K10D, Canon 40D and Nikon D80. For me, the K10D was the best, others might come to other conclusions.

Best regards,
Haakan

Last edited by Haakan; 03-21-2009 at 06:13 AM.
03-21-2009, 06:24 AM   #20
Veteran Member

A friend`s 50D doesn't seem as well built as my K200D, not to mention it lacks the second wheel the K20D has.
03-21-2009, 06:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
A friend`s 50D doesn't seem as well built as my K200D, not to mention it lacks the second wheel the K20D has.
I thought it had that massive multi function rotary dial in the rear...

one thing I dont like about that line from canon...they still put scene modes in them..why?...

I am not so much into canon. The only other camera i'd be insterested from them would be the 5D mark 2 (and the mark 2 only upgraded sensors...nothing much else from the previous 5d).

Not going to bash another system....I've seen awesome shots on all systems, GRANTED, the user is a competent photographer....

put it this way...stick someone like Michael Schumacher in any car, and get in a car that's faster than his car, he'd still beat you...

The equipment is as only as good as the person who's using it...

I love my Pentax gear for certain things, having said that, I love my Nikon gear for other things too.
03-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
put it this way...stick someone like Michael Schumacher in any car, and get in a car that's faster than his car, he'd still beat you...

Sure, but stick Schumacher in a Yugo and any half competent driver in say an STi and it's game over no matter how good Schumacher is. Sometimes the equipment DOES become a limitation!
03-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Sure, but stick Schumacher in a Yugo and any half competent driver in say an STi and it's game over no matter how good Schumacher is. Sometimes the equipment DOES become a limitation!
to an extent yes.....(I didnt use such extremes tho...c'mon..a yugo?...:ugh

03-21-2009, 08:30 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Shumacher is overrated, put him in his F1 and me in a go kart...i would win on a go kart course LOL

unless he runs me over first in his F1
03-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #25

Original Poster
I was never talking about switching to Canon I was just thinking about upgrading to a K20D if it would get me faster focus/continous mode. I was never planning on doing this at the expense of my lens collection. I was never doing this with the assumption that I would be a better photographer. And I repeat: I was never planning on buying a Canon.

I compare pictures from the K200D to the K20D and I can't really tell a difference. I didn't look all that closely, I'm not a pixel peeper. I looked at both and while I could tell they were probably taken on different days one did not neccesarly look better. So I came to the conlclusion that I had no need to go though the messy process of selling my camera and buying a new one.

Oh, yeah. I have all noise reduction off on my camera. Noise I can live with, blur I cannot. I have printed out some very nice 11*14" prints(cat portraits for my girlfriends mom) that were taken in low light and the noise just never seems to be such a big deal once printed.
03-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leeak Quote
Try here to compare images of different cameras: Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

Good check...I looked at the comparison and I think the Pentax has it all over the Canon in that test shot. I'm glad I bought my K10D and not the 40D...after that view.
03-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I love my Pentax gear for certain things, having said that, I love my Nikon gear for other things too.

Schumacher in F1 had a great advantage in the equipment, he was over rated as a driver...excellent driver but not the best. When he broke his leg and second banana..Eddie Irvine got his car and the might of the Ferrari organization behind him...Irvine who had not won a race before...almost won the World Championship.
03-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I thought it had that massive multi function rotary dial in the rear...
Correct me if I'm wrong but the K20D has 2 dials that in manual adjust aperture and shutter speed. The 50D has only one dial. I don't know it the massive wheel will work as a dial but even if it does in that position it's useless when shooting.
03-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong but the K20D has 2 dials that in manual adjust aperture and shutter speed. The 50D has only one dial. I don't know it the massive wheel will work as a dial but even if it does in that position it's useless when shooting.
The rear wheel on the Canon acts the same as the rear e-dial on the Pentax.

I use a Canon film camera that has the rear wheel, and it is as comfortable to use as the e-dial on the K10D/K20D. In cold weather with gloves I actually like it better.
03-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Nothing, they are totally different things. The K20 has weather sealing though, but that's the only thing you would get, IMHO. K200D has the sealing too, so you won't get anything more with the K20.
Its always better to receive this sort of advice from someone who can speak from experience. I did not see either of these camera's listed in the posters list of gear. As far as I know the K200 shares the same sensor as the K10. The K20 is a significant improvement in the sensor at anything beyond ISO 200 - In my experience.

I spent the day shooting the 50D the other day and I did not like it. Granted it has fast AF and high FPS but it did not feel good in my hand. My Canon 1D has the nicest feel - followed very closely my K20D. The 50D fell far behind IMHO. And what's with that shutter sound / mirror slap - I thought there was something wrong with the camera when I took my first picture with the 50D