Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #1

K100D problem?

I'm having issues with my K100D not switching on, even with fresh fully charged AAs. I have had a couple of instances in the past where it flashed with 'battery depleted' but a switch off and on again and it was fine, but today I have had problems even getting the thing to switch on. I'm not sure whether it is a battery compartment issue, or the on/off switch.

Has anyone here encountered a similar issue?

03-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How old are the batteries? As they age, they can't charge as fully, and Pentax DSLR's are notorious picky about voltage levels - a battery may be charged fully enough to work with other devices, but not have enough voltage for your camera. In general, rechargeable batteries that aren't "Eneloop" or simialr low-self-discharge types should be phased out in favor the newer technology.
03-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In addition to what Marc said, try cleaning you battery terminals (in the camera and on the batteries themselves) with a pencil eraser.
03-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #4

Zou,
I reckon Mark has said it all. I have a K100d and exactly the same problem started about six months ago. I changed to Eneloops and the problem has gone. K100`s do seem to have this problem, when the old (fully charged) batteries would not fire up the Pentax I would put them in my wifes Fuji 6500 and it would work OK.
Richard.

03-22-2009, 02:10 AM   #5
Zou

Original Poster
Thanks

I've had a play about and it seems the contacts in the battery compartment cover were perhaps not touching the batteries correctly. I 'lifted' them a bit with my fingernail and all seems ok again.

I'll bear in mind the battery age thing though, that may well come into play at some point.

I have to admit that things like this are exactly why I have always preferred fully manual mechanical cameras - every camera I have ever owned which relied on electronics has died, but hopefully the K100D has life in it yet!
03-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #6

Pleased to hear you have it sorted. The K100d will last for ages, at least I hope so.
Richard.