Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2007, 03:31 AM   #1

Exposure Correction in Modus M (K10D)

hello,

does anybody know how to make an exposure correction with the k10d while shooting in M ( Manual Modus).
I tried everything but i couldn't find it.
with the other programs it is totally easy.

i hope somebody can help me.

thankx

vadim

04-08-2007, 03:54 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Page 156 of the K10D manual covers this subject.

Basically: Select 'M' and press 'Green Button' for automatic exposure.
Use the front and rear e-dial to alter exposure and shutter speed manually.

I think this is what you want.
04-08-2007, 04:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanx , but this is not what i mean.

i want a correction ( for example +1 or -1) of the aperture, for example when shooting with back light.
and this is possible with all other programs, just press the +/- button and the turn one of the wheels.
but in M modus the +/- button doesn't work it just switches of the light of the display :-((

any suggestions ??

thankx

vadim
04-08-2007, 04:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

In M mode, you're meant to control it. It's not going to compensate for what you tell it to do

04-08-2007, 04:49 AM   #5

I agree with SupremeMoFo.

The EV compensation in Manual mode can only be controlled by changing the exposure and/or shutter speed
04-08-2007, 05:20 AM   #6

Original Poster
thankx for the replies,

but i just called a friend who has the nikon d80 and with this camera it is possible to make a aperture correction in M modus.

so it must also work with the k10d.

well maybe i am wrong but i think it is very handy to use this function in modus M.

any new suggestions??
04-08-2007, 06:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

In manual mode, the front "e-dial" does shutter speed and the rear "e-dial" changes aperture.

04-08-2007, 06:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

When you are in M mode you have the total control what you are doing. If you look the top screen or vievfinder, you can see how the change of aperture or shutter speed changes exposure.
If you are in the middle of + --scale (you should see only one green bar), your exposure is fine (according the camera), if you change either aperture or shutter speed you can see the effect in + --scale (over- or underexposure).

I don' t see where you need the EV exposure correction, in M mode it is there already.
04-08-2007, 06:38 AM   #9
racinsince55

QuoteOriginally posted by vadim23 Quote
hello,

does anybody know how to make an exposure correction with the k10d while shooting in M ( Manual Modus).

thankx

vadim

In manual mode, the -/+ button is used to toggle between shutter and aperature on my K100D.

I believe that the K10D has controls for both shutter and aperature. You can control the exposure value with either control.

Why would you want the "ev" button to do that?
04-08-2007, 07:25 AM   #10

hello,

vadim
Well, then it wouldn't really be MANUAL mode, would it?
04-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #11
Ed in GA

hello,

thankx

vadim
In manual, there is a really effective exposure correction available.

If you want to underexpose your photo do one of the following....

1. Stop the lens down by one stop, ie: go from f/5.6 to f/8

or

2. Increase the shutter speed by one stop. ie: increase from 1/250 to 1/500

to over expose, do exactly the opposite...

Works quite well.

Glad to be of help here.

Eddy
04-08-2007, 06:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can't use exposure compensation in M mode.

But, like others have stated, you can compensate all you want.
04-09-2007, 06:03 AM   #13
ROG

Exposure compensation possible

In fact it is possible to have automatic exposure compensation when in M-mode. I use it sometimes and it works well and is much faster than manually compensating.

When in M-mode push the bracket button (located to the left of the viewfinder) and turn the front e-dial to the right. On the lcd screen you will see a change from "off" to "3" (or "5" if you turn the dial further). The camera now will take three separate shots if you keep the shutter down, automatically bracketing.

You can even choose between 1/2 and 1/3 EV steps. It's all in the manual, page 163.

Nice feature, indeed.
04-09-2007, 06:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ROG Quote
In fact it is possible to have automativ exposure compensation when in M-mode. I use it sometimes and it works well and is much faster than manually compensating.

When in M-mode push the bracket button (located to the left of the viewfinder) and turn the front e-dial to the right. On the lcd screen you will see a change from "off" to "3" (or "5" if you turn the dial further). The camera now will take three separate shots if you keep the shutter down, automatically bracketing.

You can even choose between 1/2 and 1/3 EV steps. It's all in the manual, page 163.

Nice feature, indeed.
That is bracketing, not exposure compensation. If you only want one side of exposure compensation, using bracketing is worse than simply dialing it in with either the shutter or aperture.
04-09-2007, 06:12 AM   #15
ROG

Sorry, I misunderstood