Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2007, 06:21 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
comments on EXPODISC?

Has anyone used the expodisc white balance filter. Read a review in shutterbug magazine and it was highly rated. Freddy

04-08-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Save money and use a coffee filter

Since I learned about the coffee filter I haven't had any shots with bad WB.

Regards,
04-08-2007, 07:19 AM   #3
Forum Member

I'll second Ken's post. I put three or four filters in ziplock bag and keep them in the camea case.
04-08-2007, 07:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'd like to know...

how to use the coffee filter method with the K10d. Can someone walk me through it?

thanks

04-08-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
Forum Member

Coffee filter technique:

Just take a white coffee filter (use Mr. Coffee) and hold it over the lens and take a Manual WB reading and ajust accordingly. I use the preview mode on the K10D.

To make life easier I am going to get a couple of old 52mm filters remove the glass and and sandwich a piece of the filter paper between the rings.

You could also use a Wratten gel frame and use the filter paper instead of the wratten fiter to hold over the lens.
04-09-2007, 05:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I bought a $12 grey card off of eBay. Works fine and was MUCH cheaper then the Expodisc. My wife makes fun of me when I have it hanging around my neck. I threatened to buy a Photo vest if she continues to make fun of me

200096210536 is the card I bought (the seller always has them up for auction and he shipped it out quickly)
04-09-2007, 06:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmdctusa Quote
Coffee filter technique:

Just take a white coffee filter (use Mr. Coffee) and hold it over the lens and take a Manual WB reading and ajust accordingly. I use the preview mode on the K10D.

To make life easier I am going to get a couple of old 52mm filters remove the glass and and sandwich a piece of the filter paper between the rings.

You could also use a Wratten gel frame and use the filter paper instead of the wratten fiter to hold over the lens.

I have known of this procedure for some time but only tried it out this past weekend. The colors could probably be a bit better, but the results were significantly better than no WB color correction at all. Works great in a pinch.
04-09-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmdctusa Quote
Coffee filter technique:

A suggestion, if I may:

Wouldn't it perhaps be better to use a pair of step-up rings? Bound to be cheaper to get a couple of those. Plus they'd retain their normal functionality. And the little "flange" that would be created in, for example, a 52-58 would allow you to have whatever you use for an upper retaining ring to press the coffee filter downward onto that flange, rather than trying to secure it by sandwiching it between the threads.

Hell, I think I just talked myself into making one!

04-09-2007, 10:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
Has anyone used the expodisc white balance filter. Read a review in shutterbug magazine and it was highly rated.
Freddy,

In the past I have owned and used several ExpoDisc filters. They really do work very well as an aid to setting a custom white balance. Very useful in situations where the lighting is difficult. However, a few comments.

1. If the lighting really is difficult - say, a mixture of flourescent, incandescent and natural light - well, the ExpoDisc does wonderfully, but it won't work miracles.

2. The couple different ExpoDisc products that I had were designed to work with specific lens/filter sizes. If you wanted to use them as Expo Imaging intends, you'd need to have a different ExpoDisc for each different lens-filter size. If you don't change lenses a lot or don't want to use ExpoDisc with more than one lens-filter size, well, then this isn't a problem.

3. They ARE a bit pricey. On the plus side, they're more durable than coffee filters and look more professional.

4. The ExpoDisc is really useful only if you're having white-balance problems, and I think that's most likely to be the case if you are converting/saving files in-camera in JPEG format. Now that I am shooting Raw on the K10D, I have found that I do not really need the ExpoDisc any more. My experience lately has been that the K10D's auto-white balance does a great job in most situations and I generally just leave it there. And I do not find myself having to correct white balance in my post-processing software (Lightroom).

Will
04-10-2007, 06:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, guys. Really appreciate your input. Maybe I'll get one when I feel a little flush money wise! Regards, Freddy
04-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #11

I know I'm chimin in late here but I was away for a bit, or more accurately my computer was away.

I have an Expodisc , I almost always shoot raw, and I rarely use my disc.

I do like it and I do find it to be very handy to have when I do use it.

When I use it. It is as will describes in his #1 point. I just find it easier than adjusting the images post.

I bought the largest dia and just hold it on my lenses.

Coffee filters, and styrofoam cups can be of help too.

All in all Expodiscs are handy to have at your disposal, but not needed for a lot of the photo situations I encounter.
04-12-2007, 05:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jnorth Quote
I bought the largest dia and just hold it on my lenses.
Now, I wish I had thought of that!

Will