Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2007, 10:36 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My 360fgz swiveled! After it had a quick meeting with the garage floor.

As for some of the other flashes mentioned...

I also have a Vivitar 285HV, along with a pair of 283s. My 285 gets used more than my 540 because it connects to my radio trigger, where the 540 doesn't. I do use the 540 in wireless mode with the camera when preflash won't be a problem, but if I have other lights set up with optical slaves it is a problem. The 283s are usually the ones on the optical slaves.

Since I use these Vivitars so much it should be obvious that I shoot mostly in manual, so TTL/P-TTL is not an issue. Those big old Sunpack flash guns, or potato mashers (so called because the front of the flash resembled a potato masher), would work wonderfully, as long as you don't connect directly to the camera. If you use a wireless system you are covered.

If you have not already checked it out you should try this site....
Strobist
I have been using hot shoe flashes off camera for years, but I still learn a lot of neat tricks at this site.

04-13-2007, 12:56 AM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
Metz have TTL support for their SCA 3000 series of adaptors (SCA-3702 for Pentax) but we are awaiting an upgrade for P-TTL support from them. They have i-TTL and E-TTL adaptors for Nikon, Canon and also for Olympus digital now, so hopefully we can expect them to release one for Pentax in the future. When? Only Metz know that answer!

If I was to buy a flashgun system today, I would probably buy into the Pentax AF 560FGZ, even if Metz had P-TTL support.
Hi mate, thanks for the very informative reply it's much appreciated! I sent an email to Metz yesterday and got this reply...

QuoteQuote:
Dear Richard,

replying to your enquiry of 12. April 2007 concerning Pentax K10D we commend as follows:

Further more we also plan a flash gun of the series mecablitz 58 AF-1 digital for the digital-camera Pentax K10D, with what among other things also the P-TTL-flash-control can be used. Presently no exact delivery date is known for this.

We hope we could be in assistance to you and remain
with best regards

i.A. Roland Laemmermann
Technical support
Why would you specifically go for the Pentax AF 560FGZ though?
04-13-2007, 06:16 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Richdog Quote
Guys, my dad has an old flashgun that has a small fixed forward flash as well as the larger top swivel main flash.

Are there any modern flashguns that so this, or are we limited to the single large swivel flash like the PENTAX AF540FGZ. Does it even matter in terms of performance?
You mean one of these.....

I use mine with a K100D, works great in Auto mode with the K100D in M mode. Trigger volts is 10.5v which may be marginal for the K10D but I doubt it as it's a high impedance source so it shouldn't be able to hurt a fly. I've even modified it so the switchable forward flash is adjustable in power with a swivelling arm that can partially block the light, handy as it can be too powerful otherwise for subtle shadow fill.
04-14-2007, 03:21 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Hi mate, thanks for the very informative reply it's much appreciated! I sent an email to Metz yesterday and got this reply...

Why would you specifically go for the Pentax AF 560FGZ though?
Because I no longer need to have other-brand camera flash requirements which I did when originally buying the Metz. (Pentax, Oly, Bronica and Fuji).

In addition, both the Pentax AF xxx FGZ guns can be fully controlled wirelessly by the pop-up flash (and any FGZ series) without the addition of extra adaptors. The Pentax flash system is very fully thought out for the cameras. The AF 540 FGZ is also a bit smaller than the Metz (a minor point).

If Metz don't develop an SCA P-TTL module for their SCA guns, but only do P-TTL in the new 58 series, I may sell the Metz and buy Pentax. I do expect however, that having done the work for the 58, they will update the SCA adaptor as this opens up more sales for existing users and other (more pro oriented) guns in their range that use the SCA system.

04-14-2007, 07:42 AM   #20
Forum Member

So does the 540 FGZ support P-TTL and is pretty much good to go with the K10D in all aspects straight out of the box?
04-14-2007, 10:02 AM   #21
Veteran Member

So does the 540 FGZ support P-TTL and is pretty much good to go with the K10D in all aspects straight out of the box?
Yes. Just turn it on and use it exactly like your built-in flash.