Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
AF button with battery grip... still no solution?

Hi all...

Since buying my K10D 2 1/2 years ago (and loving it) I'm looking for a solution to this one missing "feature" and every few months I check the net for a workaround, firmware update/crack or whatever to solve my gripe...

So, does anyone have a solution for me that enables me to use the camera in "portrait mode"; using the AF button while having the battery grip attached (without breaking/dislocating fingers)?

Many thanks...
Michael

PS: Does the K20D allow to "re-program" the BG-2 buttons?
Still hoping for a firmware update by Pentax...

03-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Inactive Account

AFAIK, there is no solution yet; a pain if you have set shutter halfway focus off and switch to portrait mode...

Would be nice if they would at least allow shutter halfway to stay 'on' for the grip's shutter button regardless of the main body setting.
03-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yea it's funny that they went so far as to include a Green Button, which would allow you to implement Hyper-Manual; the next logical thought would be, that someone who is after that level of control, would also benefit from the addition of an AF button on the grip, as well. Too bad. But at least a firmware upgrade like you mentioned would be better than nothing.
03-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes this is the reason I am really taking the grip in and out and never really warmed up to it - outside of the better balanced weight when using the 50-135 and the extra room for last two fingers on the grip.
The other reason that really tick me off regarding the grip is how flat it is. From a comfort point of view that makes no sense at all. A slightly rounded shape would feel very natural on the hand.

03-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Tripod Use

One other thing I found out today, probably generic to all maker's grips though- I was trying to attach my Tamron 70-200, at the tripod collar, to a Manfroto ballhead with quick release plate. The grip was in the way of the lever and had to be removed before I could actually get the whole deal onto the tripod. Little bit of a PITA.
03-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
One other thing I found out today, probably generic to all maker's grips though- I was trying to attach my Tamron 70-200, at the tripod collar, to a Manfroto ballhead with quick release plate. The grip was in the way of the lever and had to be removed before I could actually get the whole deal onto the tripod. Little bit of a PITA.
Perhaps a ball head would be an option. I have no problem with interference with mine.
03-23-2009, 05:53 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all your input...

Although "hope dies last", I'm not really holding my breath concerning a firmware update...

Why should Pentax be the only manufacturer that supplies new firmware for "old" cameras? I'm sure all their attention lies with the upcoming K30D? and 645D... I'm just some existing customer (albeit one with 1K10D, 1MX, 2ME, 1LX and a 645N )...

Oh well, the K10D is still a great camera and I shoot film most of the time anyway...

Thanks again...
Michael

03-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #8

Why not set the AF button to cancel AF?

That way the grip will still work

Dal
03-30-2009, 08:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Well the point is to still keep separate the actions of autofocus vs shutter release. If you enable "AF by shutter half-press", "cancel AF" option is not necessary. The grip will still AF, but the problem still remains: every time you touch the shutter release to take a shot, the camera will refocus. Many times this is NOT what you want the camera to do. Personally I much prefer to have AF un-linked from shutter release. Others may not.
Paul
03-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't know of a solution for this, either. I continue to use the grip, mainly because I like the way it feels shooting with the camera in normal landscape orientation, which is what I do 70% of the time or more. When I have to turn the camera sideways now, I simply do what I used to do before I started shooting with a grip - I keep my right hand in the same place on the camera, so it ends up on "top" when the camera's sideways. It's not really a big deal.

If Pentax issues a firmware update that, say, allows me to use the grip's green button for auto-focus, I guess I would give it a try. But I think what they really need to do is release a new grip. In my opinion, the buttons on the grip really need to be positioned as close as possible to the way they're positioned on the camera body. Right now, on the body, the buttons look sort of like this:
AE-L
(e-dial)
+/-
AF

and on the grip, they're like this:

+/-
(e-dial)
AE-L
which is kind of backwards. I'd like to have the AE-L button moved up to the top right corner of the grip ("top" when camera's held sideways) as it is on the camera (when held normally). Then the e-dial, then +/- and then AF.

When I'm shooting fast, if I change the orientation of the camera, I'd like the buttons to land naturally under my fingers and be in the same place. To be honest, it's one of the advantages of NOT switching my hand to the grip when I turn the camera that I don't have to adjust. Still, on some shoots I mostly use the camera turned sideways for a while and I would like to be able to use the buttons on the grip - if they were positioned exactly as they are on the camera body.

Will
03-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Yup, who cares about any possible development of a K30D, I'm waiting for the new BG-3 !

(No you're right though, definitely needs an upgrade.)