Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How is Pentax doing where you are?

Pentax doesn't seem to be selling as much in the stores as when the k10d first came out, and there certainly isn't the same selection as Canon or Nikon, but I see Pentax cameras on a regular basis....especially the point and shoots.

I've noticed there seems to be quite a few posts from Canada and Australia...and considering the population base compared to other countries....is Pentax a larger force in some places than other?

03-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know whether it is, but it seems the stores actually stock Pentax gear. In Lethbridge, a smallish city near here, I walked into the local McBain's Camera branch and walked out with my brand new AF540FGZ. Not the display model, mind you, but a boxed one from the drawers. They also had what I think is every current lens and several bodies on display. One of the clerks uses a K10D, and we compare notes about the camera.

The population of Lethbridge in the 2005 census was less than 78,000. Maybe Pentax Canada has a slightly different attitude than in some other places. I don't know, but I like it.
03-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Of the three larger camera stores in town, two have staff that like Pentax....and I bought my k10d after listening to the salesperson rave to a customer on the price performance at one of the chains. There are he "340 different lens combination" billboards on the highway and one of the malls has just put up the same (smaller) billboards. Every little bit helps I guess. The resession hasn't caught up to us to the same extent (on the west coast).....perhaps that has something to do with it.
03-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
Forum Member

All three of the major stores here in the Chicago area keep Pentax in stock. In fact, the owner of the oldest store here in town can often be seen with a Pentax pocket protector....however, it is advertising the SF-1n!

Pentax has zero presence in any of the chain stores. Our local Wolf Superstore (there's an oxymoron!) had a K100D Super setting in its clearance rack so I thought, what the heck, maybe I can pick one up cheap. They only wanted $399.......on clearance.

03-22-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The one official Pentax dealer stock them, including full lens selection and other accessories (doubt if most). Others don't at all or have a very limited selection, like only k200d kit or overpriced k10d and k100ds with no lenses or accessories. But in most cases then its at least the same for others (for example Can 1000d and 450d Kit, maybe 40d and some flash.
See for yourself. A random online store:
Pentax:
Cam:Spogu?kameras : Xnet.lv interneta veikals
Lens:http://www.xnet.lv/index.php?menuid=1421&mini=1
Canon:
Cam:Spogu?kameras : Xnet.lv interneta veikals
Lens:http://www.xnet.lv/index.php?menuid=1050&mini=1

Mostly the stumbling block is seller, which usually is too incompetent to tell anything at all or has heard only the praising of canon. So a buyer isnt presented by all the options to weight them out on its own but basically told that everything except Canon or very rarely also Nikon is cr** and this is where the story ends. In the best case it can say that some people, like amateurs buy Pentax but canon is better, not mentioning any of Pentax advantages (which the seller most likely dosnt even know about).
No Ads or other information is available.

I hope this is what you were asking for.
03-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The only time i see other Pentax users are at the local TO meet, even traveling i've only run across 1 digital user (USA) and 1 film user (German) since i've been shooting and amonst my friends i've always been the only one to venture away from Nikon and Canon.

Even in school when they handed out free K1000s, most people ran out and got either Nikon or Canon asap?!?!

The last store i visited had 1 wall of Canon, 1 wall of Nikon and everything else including Pentax go designated to the counter cases I think only Henrys has a good supply and display space for Pentax here in Toronto.
03-22-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

No big camera stores in my neck of the woods. The little ones only peddle C & N. You can find a D40 or a Rebel-whatever in any of the office chains. No Pentax/Sony/Olympus.

Is a brick & mortar presence really as important as it used to be?

03-22-2009, 11:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
No big camera stores in my neck of the woods. The little ones only peddle C & N. You can find a D40 or a Rebel-whatever in any of the office chains. No Pentax/Sony/Olympus.
I have noticed that one of the Future Shops near me carries mostly Canon/Nikon, Olympus and Sonly DSLRs. I bought my K10D from the other Future Shop but I haven't been back to check and see what they have.

London Drugs also has a good selection of Canon, Nikon and Sony depending on what store you go into.

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Is a brick & mortar presence really as important as it used to be?
Yes, I much prefer buying from a local store where I can see/hold/try out the product before I buy it, and somewhere I can take it back if it is malfunctioning.

Today I went in and looked at lenses, not really serious about buying anything. The salesman asked me what I had already and recommended the FA50mm 1.4 to me. He had one in the display cabinet that he attached to a K20D for me to try. I bought it - not the display model but a new one from the storage drawer.

I work in small business/retail (computers) and unfortunately it seems like many people feel that the benifits of a locally owned are outweighed by our higher price, and although I boughy my camera from a big box store, I try to buy accessories, etc.. from local businesses. If we all did everything online, there would be a lot fewer places to help us out.
03-23-2009, 05:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I think Japan had a big marketing campaign for the KM here.
To be honest, I've no idea of how it's doing, but I'd like to hope Pentax has the number 3 spot behind Canon and Nikon.

Still a large number of Canon and Nikon out and about when I go shooting, as to be expected, but I would say I see more Pentax than Olympus and Sony...

The stores here have a wide selection of Pentax gear and it does seem to have better place on the shelves than Olympus and Sony.
03-23-2009, 06:42 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

In my neck of the Canadian woods, the local shop (Don's Photo) has a very good selection. Iwas in there a couple of weeks ago and noted that they had most of the Limiteds, both of the DA* zooms as well as the 17-70, 50-200 and 55-300 on the shelf, as well as the K20 and K2000.
When I was in last week, they were quite depleted on lenses, so I presume they are selling them.
03-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #11
Inactive Account

*makes flatulent sound with lips and tongue whilst lowering a thumbs-down towards the ground*

Actually, I don't know. But I'd bet I'm not far from the truth.

There's little, if any, marketing (maybe a few generic PENTAX acrylic stands in store, no specific model numbers or anything). A coupla years ago I saw an ad for a W-series camera (40? 20?) on TV...the one with the goldfish. No magazine or other TV ads.

If you go into a camera store and ask to by a mid-range SLR, you'll be directed to anything BUT Pentax. Stores will very, very rarely have Pentax lenses in. You might find one 18-55mm DA (probably on a demo cam) but for almost ALL purchases, you'll get a Sigma. No, not one of the pro Sigma lenses - they don't have any those in.

There might be one or two stores in Melbourne or Sydney, but anywhere else...stiff biccies.

Pentax is the bastard brand, and almost every sales rep will never mention them in response to the "I'm looking for a camera, an SLR..." question.

Mention that you'd like to check out a Pentax, they tend to give you the look that most people reserve for when somebody says something weird - saying "I'd like to look at a Pentax" is probably on par with "You know, I really don't think women should be allowed to vote."

Oh, and never walk into Photocontinental with a Pentax 'round you neck, unless you're planning on doing some shoplifting - you'll be bloody invisible.
03-23-2009, 07:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Pentax? What Pentax? That is the story here. There is only one mom and pop shop that I know of and they don't carry pentax. They have a few old pentax lens but they don't normally stock the body. They can order the body if you wanted one but it is near full retail price. That mom and pop shop has a few used pentax lens but that is about it. I haven't gone to any of the ritz/wolf camera latly(no reason to) so I don't know the story there now. A few years ago when I was shopping for a body, they didn't want to sell me a pentax and pushed canon only.

As far as people using it, I only came a cross a hand full of user out in the wild shooting. Everyone has the other two.
03-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jglover Quote
All three of the major stores here in the Chicago area keep Pentax in stock. In fact, the owner of the oldest store here in town can often be seen with a Pentax pocket protector....however, it is advertising the SF-1n!
Say hi to Albert from Albert the next time you are in Central Camera. That's where I bought my MZ-S and 24-90 among a few other things. I came back to Canada in April, 2004, and have not been in Chicago since.
QuoteQuote:
Pentax has zero presence in any of the chain stores. Our local Wolf Superstore (there's an oxymoron!) had a K100D Super setting in its clearance rack so I thought, what the heck, maybe I can pick one up cheap. They only wanted $399.......on clearance.
03-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #14

I'm near rochester, ny yep KODAK is everywhere, Pentax is nowhere. Even Pentax site only offers walmartas a supplier...
03-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

On recent boat cruise (1200 patrons) I was the only person with a Pentax DSLR.

Of the dslr users I would guesstimate that 90% were Nikon d40/80 users with the rest being Canon.

This meant I had the best lookin dslr there - haha :-)

With P&S - mainly Canon then Sony and Samsung - zero Pentax

Cheers

Dyl