Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2007, 04:00 PM   #46
Veteran Member

I became a big fan of P mode with my old Z1, making quick adjustments with the front and rear dials. As a "soft" way to start experimenting with the effect of different settings, maybe this is what Buddha Jones should try?

04-12-2007, 04:52 PM   #47

Hmm, I think I'm usually in M mode or Av, very rarely do I find myself in P anymore.
04-12-2007, 06:19 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rolly Quote
It's interesting to note how many folk are "graduating" from automatic modes towards more "manual" methods in their working processes.
I guess instead of graduating I was demoted! My only prior SLR was a K1000 for 10 years. Now I'm slowly learning that AUTO is not a bad word after all. I've asked for a second Auto Focus lens for my birthday.
04-13-2007, 04:42 PM   #49
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I mostly use m, tv for indoor flash.
Landscape mode worked well in the Norwegian mountains this Easter. I also got some nice shots of a paraglider coming in for landing in sports/action mode. Portrait mode works excellent for pictures of my 9 month daughter (that might be due to the proud father bias though)

However with my only m series lens, the 40mm, I get best results using av mode with +/- compensation

04-13-2007, 07:53 PM   #50

In the studio, I generally leave the camera on X (flash synch) unless I'm doing a "drag the shutter" shot.

But recently I went to a butterfly place, and found that TAv is actually amazingly useful!

http://www.gartenphotography.com/images/animals/Butterflies/LDG_20070407-145103.jpg

http://www.gartenphotography.com/images/animals/Butterflies/LDG_20070407-144110.jpg

http://www.gartenphotography.com/images/animals/Butterflies/LDG_20070407-151340.jpg
04-15-2007, 06:20 AM   #51
Inactive Account

Coming from an ME. I use mostly AV. When i get really lazy i slap it in the Auto mode. However, i really need to fool around with the P mode more.

BK
04-15-2007, 07:57 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Modes?

When out doing snaps..."A" mode generally. When doing jobs "M" mode exclusively.

04-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #53
Inactive Account

I tend to shoot in P mode most of the time, M for times when I need to be exact.
04-15-2007, 08:17 PM   #54

P - 60% (for quick all around shots).
Av - 25% (f/8 for aviation stuff).
Tv - 5% (1/125 for prop blur).
M - 5% (been experimenting with that).
Bulb - 5% (long exposures).

However, I have just recently found the TAv mode on my K10D. I didn't know what it did (even read the manual). Until I started messing with it. I think that will be the new 60% since I can set both aperature and shutter and the ISO is automatic. AWESOME!!!!
04-15-2007, 10:00 PM   #55

Most of the time in AV Mode -- but once I switch to my 50mm f1.7 or any other old lense I go to into M mode.. (my 50mm is a KA but I the electrical connect got mess up so I was force to use it like a K mount :-(
04-16-2007, 01:24 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hyper Program.
This mode gives you much control over most of the parameters, without using any menu imbedded settings. All important controls are available through the use of seemingly analog buttons or switches. The word seemingly is used because pushing a button or turning a dial only sets the digital engine, giving the impression that a 35mm is being used and that some functions are manually set.

To set the camera to Hyper-Program Mode, turn the mode dial to P. The predominant manual steps required to take a picture with a DSLR can be presented as follow. Compose, focus, set the aperture, set the shutter speed, set the ISO (Depending on conditions) and press the shutter release. Click! The click is actually not digital, the mirror really goes up and returns.

In the Hyper-Program mode, you are in total control of all the steps depicted above. You can manually change the aperture with the rear e-dial (default).
Changing the aperture makes the camera switch to an aperture priority automatic exposure. The shutter speed is adjusted accordingly. If the shutter speed cannot accommodate the brightness, the shutter speed blinks in the viewfinder and on the LCD panel. While changing the aperture, the aperture is underlined in the viewfinder.

You can manually change the shutter speed with the front e-dial (default). Changing the shutter speed makes the camera switch to a shutter priority automatic exposure. The aperture is adjusted accordingly. If the aperture cannot accommodate the brightness, the aperture will blink in the viewfinder and on the LCD panel. While changing the shutter speed, the shutter speed is underlined in the viewfinder.

You can return to automatic exposure at any time by pressing the green button located beside the shutter release.
With the Firmware update Version 1.10, pressing the OK button shows the ISO setting and while keeping the OK button pressed, the ISO setting can be also be changed with the front e-dial. Note that the ISO will not be reset with the green button. Changing the ISO really puts the camera in Sensitivity priority.
This mode could be the only mode available on the K10D and it would still be a wonderful camera. You make the decisions; the camera adjusts to your commands. If it could only cook!
04-16-2007, 04:46 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Green mode for walkabouts and candids, Av/M/B mode for m42's (80-90%). I actually really love playing in b mode with the remote cable, mess with the lights, blow smoke, flash a torch, throw stuff around lol....good stuff.
04-16-2007, 05:03 AM   #58
Inactive Account

P - 1% (when I mess up).
Av - 45% (I have a thing for the perfect amount of DOF).
Tv - 5% (occassionally when I'm using shutter speed for effect).
M - 40% (for older lenses, or when light is changing erratically).
Bulb - 9% (long exposures).
04-16-2007, 12:43 PM   #59

Mostly P

P with a bit of exposure compensation, if the historgram looks to much off, when I'm doing a mixed shoot.

If I'm taking several shot of the same thing in a planned shoot -> Av.

Flash -> M.

But probably 80% in P
04-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #60

M about 99% of the time. In fact, I haven't used a mode other than M yet on my K10. The only time it has been turned to anythign else is when I hand it to someone I trust (hardly anyone qualifies for this when it comes to my K10!) and tell them just push the button!!!! The camera never seems to quite nail what I am after (shoot sports..motorsports particularly), and i don't trust my income to the little settings!