Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #1

*ist DS Delay in Auto Bracketing...

I'm trying to so some HDR Panoramas with my *ist DS. I have it set up to auto bracket -2 0 +2, RAW mode, 8 GB SDHC memory. I want to take the shots fairly rapidly to avoid alignment problems in both the HDR and panorama stitching. I am using fresh batteries.

My problem is the camera will do the first 1 or 2 sets of auto brackets then only does the 1st or 2nd shot of the next one then hangs for up to 30 seconds showing an hourglass. By this time things have usually moved enough in the scene that I can't get what I wanted.

Is this a bug in the camera or am I just trying to do something that this camera can't keep up with? Thanks in advance.

03-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

buffer is full....

Sounds like you are filling the buffer....it takes time to write the large raw images from the buffer to the card. Once the buffer clears, more pics can be taken.

Try the same thing using jpegs and see what happens. Since jpegs are much smaller, I suspect you won't see the same problem.

If you still have problems, let me know and I'll think harder...

Good luck.
mark
03-23-2009, 11:49 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the fast response! I will try using the jpgs. I wasn't sure if processing time to create the jpg would slow it down or not. I'll post my results when I know.

A technical question that this brings up... Is there any way to tweak the buffer size in the camera or is it a fixed hardware issue?
03-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by canyonbreeze Quote
Thanks for the fast response! I will try using the jpgs. I wasn't sure if processing time to create the jpg would slow it down or not. I'll post my results when I know.

A technical question that this brings up... Is there any way to tweak the buffer size in the camera or is it a fixed hardware issue?
Fixed hardware issue. istD,DS are very slow and have tiny buffer, well they kinda old. Using JPG will speed up things a little but not really noticeable.
Using K10D would be more appropriate for bracketing a lot of images.

03-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think it's exactly 'processing' we're talking about, because the JPEGs require 'processing' as well--it takes much longer to write the larger files to the SD card. A faster card can help but your DS probably won't benefit much from the very fast cards--you just want to make sure you don't have a dreadfully slow card.

Basically the K10D can handle in RAW (~9-11 RAW frame buffer) what the DS struggles with in JPEG (~8 JPEG frames). You need to wait a little longer between bursts.

K10D can shoot and process JPEGs at 3fps limited only by card space. If I recall correctly K10D can shoot something like 9-11 RAW before flushing the buffer.