Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tethering

I am eagerly awaiting the update to Assistant so I can tether the K10. I am wondering why it is taking so long. The basic app is already written for the *istD, wouldn't it be easy (relatively speaking) to update it to accommodate the K10? Maybe Pentax doesn't think that anyone wants it.

04-08-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unfortunately Camera companies do not usually invest more in Computer Software than they have to. I once bought an Olympus Film Scanner (remember film?). Version 1 software was rather poor, and a reviewer said version 2 could not arrive too soon. It never did.

Often the software that comes with a camera is OK because they bought it elsewhere. I use Panorama Maker 3 which came with my Nikon Coolpix, an nice little program, but not written by Nikon. The software that came with my K100D appears to be written by Silkypix, who knows when Pentax will convince them to update those utilities. I use Pentax Remote Assistant with my K100D even though it is not supported. I'm not a fan of it, but it works. I have set up the camera outdoors in the winter aimed at a bird feeder and clicked the shutter while in the warm house watching a WebCam.
04-09-2007, 03:37 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I am eagerly awaiting the update to Assistant so I can tether the K10. I am wondering why it is taking so long. The basic app is already written for the *istD, wouldn't it be easy (relatively speaking) to update it to accommodate the K10? Maybe Pentax doesn't think that anyone wants it.
You won't have to wait much longer.
04-09-2007, 03:51 AM   #4
Inactive Account

what's tethering? Sometimes when I'm at a shoot. The potographer (canon 5D usually it seems) has a little antennae on his camera that sends the photo to his Mac laptop straight away so I can see it straight away. That would be a very nice thing to have for me. not vital, but a nice option... and one of the reasons I pondered over a Canon 30D... don't knwo how much the transmitter is. It has to be wireless for me.. I think a lead would be very clumsy and dangerous.

Or am I talking about something else?

04-09-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Christian Quote

Or am I talking about something else?
Tethering is with the Cord. Cords are only clumsy and dangerous if you allow them to be, at one point when i was working with a D100 in a studio i had three cords out the camera, the Tether, AC and Sync, tape them together and make sure it is long enough, and you'll never have a problem.
04-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #6
Inactive Account

ok so same thing. just I guess Pentax won't be wireless. Using a chord is fine for a studio but with wireless you can venture out and check stuff. It would be great! as long as you have someone to help make sure nobody runs off with your laptop!
04-09-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I will Never Tether Again!

All I will say is this...If it weren't for my assistants capacity to jump about 2 meters to catch my camera, Canon would have been really pissed for my thrashing a brand new Canon 1Ds Mkll....

One of the team, I think it was the hair dresser wanting to do the standard adjustments during the shoot, just happened to trip over the cord, ripping the camera out of my hands and in to the great open air of the studio. Everything went in to slow motion mode....(Imagine a Kung Fu Film and real Cheesy Music) My assistant leaped in to the air "Superman" style and caught it just before it was about to smash in to the soft and spongy concrete floor...

Tethers..
04-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Here we go, another thing to look forward to. Great!

04-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
.....soft and spongy concrete floor...
I had a flash do that, with no assistant to catch it. I quickly switched to radio controllers.

The stuff I would tether for would be with camera on a tripod and few to no people around. I have been a musician long enough to know what happens when a room full of cords becomes a room full of people.

I tethered my *istD a couple times, but found the USB1.1 to be too slow to be of benefit. Maybe I won't find tethering the K10 to be of any use either.