Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #16

small LCD

check out ikan products - their professional portable monitors are made for film, video and photography several new ones with HDMI

www.ikancorp.com

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Hi guys,

I'm getting serious in food photography and 1 thing that's really important is instant feedback of shots taken. I've tried tethering and it takes forever. Anywhere between 15-30 seconds PER photo, and I take 500-1000 photos per day/session. I brought a regular CRT TV to a shoot and it made things SO MUCH faster. Quality was very good too, not HD but very clear and sharp.

So I settled into getting an LCD TV since lugging around a tube TV was too much, those things are just too bulky and heavy. I went to a store the other day and tried my camera with some LCD TVs and they looked terrible!!!

The photos looked pixelated and blurry but when you zoom in it looks pretty okay.

I believe it's something to do with the analog to digital transition, since the K20D uses the old school composite video output.

Has anyone tried using an LCD TV with an LCD TV with good results? The output on a traditional CRT TV looks great, but it's just way too heavy and bulky to carry around

I'm really really happy with the output of the photos but honestly shooting tethered is something really important in food photography. My clients have to see it instantly for the approval of the dish/layout. I was actually thinking of going dual system since the canon/nikons have HDMI output.

I really hope the upcoming models have HDMI output

03-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Way too expensive! But thanks anyway
03-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One solution could be to invest in a Eyefi wireless sd card, then use the RAW button to pre-shoot 2MP Jpgs that will upload instantaneously on a laptop set to display everything coming at it, then switch back to RAW for the main shoot.

Price : 50 bucks if you already have a wifi laptop... 300$ if you have to add a notebook...

And that's real pro-looking, having the pics displayed magically while you're ten feet away...
03-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I haven't tried this myself (so don't know if it's possible) but was wondering if you shoot RAW+JPEG if it can transfer just the JPEG to the tethered computer...I'd think this would be considerably faster and certainly fine for quick review purposes.

As for monitors, I don't think your typical LCD DVD player, etc. will give best results...basically your camera can output either NTSC or PAL format which dictates the # of lines. Any deviation from that will involve some sort of digital rescaling and the results will be sub-optimal. CRT will probably look better. I imagine that it wouldn't need to be super big to better the small on-camera review LCD.

03-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
I haven't tried this myself (so don't know if it's possible) but was wondering if you shoot RAW+JPEG if it can transfer just the JPEG to the tethered computer...I'd think this would be considerably faster and certainly fine for quick review purposes.
It'll do this (I think), but the card itself is 2GB (4GB is on preorder). You won't get enough pictures on it...I mentioned it to soccerjoe already...he wants to shoot 1000 pics w/ offloading
03-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm I'd be happy with about 300-400 photos to offload!

I currently use 8GB Sandisk Extreme III cards and they're just sweet!

I might get one asap if there was an 8GB eye-fi!
03-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #22
Forum Member

I've read that the eye-fi uploads at 200 kb/sec, which might be kind of slow for your needs.

Have you tried using something like this:

Amazon.com: Diamond VC500 One Touch Video Capture Device: Electronics

To turn your laptop into a display with composite/svideo inputs ?

03-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chiem Quote
I've read that the eye-fi uploads at 200 kb/sec, which might be kind of slow for your needs.
The other major issue is you have to stop using it for a little while before it uploads. Using = viewing images on the rear LCD, taking images, etc.
And fat chance they'll have an 8GB one. The 4GB was announced in October and still hasn't shipped...
03-24-2009, 10:38 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chiem Quote

Have you tried using something like this:

Amazon.com: Diamond VC500 One Touch Video Capture Device: Electronics

To turn your laptop into a display with composite/svideo inputs ?
I found another device that lets any computer accept numerous inputs but it costs $150. I think it's called eyeTV hybrid. It's gotten great reviews!