Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
Forum Member

Underwater Photography

Im leaving on a cruise at the end of the week and wondered if there was any way to use a Pentax DSLR underwater. I know Canon has housing generously available I am a Pentax owner but dont want to buy an optio for this one occasion. I would however look into housing because underwater photography would be a great new arena I could see myself getting into.

03-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am sure you can buy an underwater housing for your camera - and flash - but ... you will not be impressed with the price. How deep do you want to go ? My last dive was about 110 feet. Some of the dive shops have cameras you can rent. In Cozemel the dive master had some relativley new Sony PS that produced awsome photos. Mind you the water is very clear down there.

I think the housing for an SLR is almost as much as the SLR - and depending on how clear the water is a flash is highly recommened (pop up flash may do).

Check this thread out https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/5274-underwater-housing-k10d.html

Last edited by daacon; 03-24-2009 at 02:57 PM.
03-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

i bought the Canon G9 with underwater housing (about $600 total) rather than dishing out $3000 for SLR housing. Of course now that I'm hooked I want the SLR stuff but the G9 is a damn fine camera too...
03-24-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
haha, check this link out.

NED BUNNELL: K10D waterhousing

This is the President of Pentax's blog site. I have seen these on ebay and was wondering if they made them for Pentax as well. It turns out, yes, and no. Mr. Bunnell took his camera to them and they are making a custom kit for it. Im assuming they would have saved the dimensions for it for future customers, but it is not listed on their website. I also found it funny that Mr. Bunnell displayed Canon SLRs being fitted for the product! Why would you do that? It is confusing sometimes as to why people make the decisions they do. Either way, Im still hunting for something. I think this would be the best option, but it seems like you have to contact the company directly for prices since they are not listed on their site.

03-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Other than the bags...no but you do know the housings (not bags) cost well over $600?

Those bags are a pain, they always want to float up and they're not really good past 60 feet, i assume you'll be snorkeling not scuba?
03-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Not sure I'd use this, and it only goes to 15' below the surface, but it's cheap.

Wolverine Data Waterlock housing
03-25-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
Forum Member

I leave for the US Virgin Islands in 3 weeks. I really thought about trying to find a housing for my Pentax DSLRs but, in the end, I ended up buying a couple of used P&S cameras and found housings specifically for them on ebay and Craigslist.

I ended up with an Oly Stylus 400 and underwater housing (good to 130 ft) which cost me less than $100 for the two. Granted, it took quite a bit of searching over a couple of months.

Also purchased a Nikon 3.2 Megapixel P&S and an underwater housing (good to 130 ft). Again, I paid less than $100 for the pair off ebay.

03-25-2009, 10:32 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
i bought the Canon G9 with underwater housing (about $600 total) rather than dishing out $3000 for SLR housing. Of course now that I'm hooked I want the SLR stuff but the G9 is a damn fine camera too...
+1. I was going to get rid of my G9 until I found a deal on an underwater housing, now I am stuck with it
03-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Other than the bags...no but you do know the housings (not bags) cost well over $600?

Those bags are a pain, they always want to float up and they're not really good past 60 feet, i assume you'll be snorkeling not scuba?
To be honest here, I dont mind spending 600 on some custom housing. I think it would be extremely beneficial to easily be able to use the manual settings on the camera. It seems like it is a bit late now seeings as the cruise is only a couple days away, it is something I will be considering in the future. P&S would be fun, but I just cant take my camera that lightly. Not only that it is a niche that not many people have come to get into for that reason.
03-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Not sure I'd use this, and it only goes to 15' below the surface, but it's cheap.

Wolverine Data Waterlock housing
I cant say that I would ever use that. The K10 and newer model Pentax's are already weather resistant, so rain or snow is never a problem. And if you are seriously going to be underwater, either buy the custom housing and use the camera's full potential or buy an underwater point and shoot. I couldnt imagine taking a shot with this and seeing the plastic in front of the lens, distorting the image rendering it unusable.
03-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jjeling Quote
To be honest here, I dont mind spending 600 on some custom housing
You're dreaming if you think it'd be only $600 for a scuba housing...for DSLRs, it'll be more like $2-3K. Look at the ones available for Nikon/Canon, and they have more volume than Pentax...
03-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
No I am not looking to buy an outfit for scuba diving. Just something that is rated for 20-30 feet or so. The outfit Ned Bunnell used is just that. If I am going to get into serious scuba photography, there is no point to buy housing rated at those depths for a dslr. They make extremely specialized cameras just for that. I am not scuba certified anyways. Like I said, no deeper than 30ft.
10-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #13

Underwater housings for Pentax cameras

I loved Pentax camera and still do as I think they are the easiest and most intuitive DSLR's out there. Unfortuately I am a diver and at one time had Ikelite build me a housing for my old LX which I just recently sold. The LX was and is my very favorite camera of all the ones I have owned-ME's, LX, ZX5n, and Pentax MZ-S. I bought my daughter a Pentax DSLR and gave her many lens as they were compatible with the DSLR.

I switched camera systems because I could not obtain a housing and regret to this day that I cannot find underwater housings for the cameras Pentax makes. If I could I would switch back, I would do so in an instant if such underwater housings were available.

I know when I shot the LX, I was the only one not shooting a Nikon or Canon in a housing and everyone always wanted to see what I was shooting. If no one will make one, I wish Pentax would make them;although, I understand the economics involved. If enought Pentax users would bombard the underwater housing manufacturers with requests for such housings maybe they would get the point but until then.......

rjrdived
10-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

SPL Water Housings - Custom crafting splash housings since 1996 - SPLwaterhousings.com

They have one for the K-7 on the website. Scroll about 3/4 down the page, you'll see it.

QuoteQuote:
Splash housing means our housing are for shallow water not for diving. We rate them for 15-20ft max.