Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K100D Power Plug

Hello All...

On the left side of the camera body, concealed behind a door, is a DC IN 6.5V power plug. Does anyone know what size plug it takes?

Thanks in advance...

Bob

03-25-2009, 03:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
D AC10 adapter is rated for 6.5 VDC. 3000 mA.
Barrell OD measured 4.8mm.
Center pin is around 1.2mm. 1.3mm felt little tight.
Open circuit voltage read 6.68 VDC with Fluke 87 DMM.
I did not measure what the camera actually draws.
Hope this helps..
Cheers.
Mike.

Copy and paste from past posting.
04-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, Ex Finn,

Sorry I took so long to get back, work got in the way of my hobby.

Did you measure the plug, or the socket on the camera. I am having a hard time finding a plug with sizes close to these.

Could you measure the i.d. of the plug?
04-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I did not measure what the camera actually draws.
I measured it.

The K1x0Ds require 6.5 volts as mentioned. They will run on a little less, but are not as forgiving as most other cameras. Numerous posts on this forum discuss how the K100D will indicate weak battery way too soon with standard NiMH cells. I switched to Sanyo Eneloops and they last way longer at the same (or even less) milliamp-hour rating. So if you a building a supply make it 6.5v.

Current drain is far under the 3 AMP rating of the Pentax external supply.

This is what I measured, I'd say within 10 % and cameras may vary:

Exposing 586 ma ~= 3.9 watts

Between Exposure & Idle (LCD on) 300 ma

Idle 167 ma

NR Dark Time 418

Notes: I do a lot of long exposure work so the high numbers with shutter open are important to me. Most people use short exposures so are idle most of the time.

I don't have a means to measure the inside diameter of the plug, but I did buy one by bringing the camera into Radio Shack. They are very nice about taking a plug back if I open it immediately after purchase to give it a try. Sometimes the salesperson will open it for me before sale.

Warning: My K110D is pretty fussy about external power. The Pentax AC supply works fine. My 12v to 6.5v switching supply occasionally caused the shutter to chatter. I had to add a linear supply to keep the shutter working normally.

04-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, Leo...

I found a link elsewhere that identified the plug as a type EIAJ-03. I'm going to try to get one to try.

I'm planning on using a power supply from a laptop, a switcher, with 19 volt output, that I'll regulate with the appropriate electronics.

Thanks for all the helpful information.

Bob
04-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bob2246 Quote
Thanks, Ex Finn,

Sorry I took so long to get back, work got in the way of my hobby.

Did you measure the plug, or the socket on the camera. I am having a hard time finding a plug with sizes close to these.

Could you measure the i.d. of the plug?
Clad you figured it out.
I was using a small drill index as a feeler gauge when trying to judge the size of the center pin, could not get the dial caliper to fit the hole in the plug. So my numbers might have been off a little.

Cheers. Mike.
04-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I've rigged up a power supply using an old laptop wall wart through a voltage regulator.

It seems as though, despite being plugged in, you must still have batteries in the camera. I experience erratic camera behavior if I try to run while plugged in to the external source without batteries installed...hanging shutter, camera power cycling, etc.

When I plug in with batteries installed, the battery strength indicater disappears from the top display, so I am quite certain that the camera is powered by my power supply at this time.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Bob
04-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bob2246 Quote
... It seems as though, despite being plugged in, you must still have batteries in the camera. ...

Has anyone else experienced this? Bob
I have not experience this because I would not dare to plug in an external supply without batteries installed. Some products depend on the batteries for regulation, the external supply aids but does not replace the battery. So I've always kept the batteries in.

My K1x0Ds are pretty fussy about the 6.5 volt external source. Did you use a linear regulator to step down your wall wart? I had lots of erratic shutter noises when I tried a switcher. I had bought a battery powered supply to go from 12 v > 6.5 v. Some times it would go into oscillation with the shutter going clunk, clunk, clunk until I turned off the camera. My solution was jack up the switcher to 9 v and build a linear regulator from 9 > 6.5 v. I've run all night on this hybrid arrangement.

Yes, the battery indicator goes out when external power is applied. It is the only indication. More than once when using the camera in the dark the power plug fell out. 10 minutes or so later, the internal battery goes dead in the middle of a long exposure.

If your supply is working with the camera batteries in I think you are OK.

04-23-2009, 04:19 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Leo,

I was using a 19 volt power supply (wall wart), and a linear regulator (LM350). I think I'm going to switch to a 12 volt power supply, because the regulator heat sink got really hot (>200 deg F). It is rated for 250 deg, but I'd rather not work that close to a tolerance.

"Some products depend on the batteries for regulation, the external supply
aids but does not replace the battery. So I've always kept the batteries in."

I wasn't aware of this...

"Some times it would go into oscillation with the shutter going clunk, clunk,
clunk until I turned off the camera."

This happened with mine, too. It would continue to do so even after turning off the power switch. I had to remove the plug to make it stop. My shutter also stuck open, and would not close until I plugged the power back in.

Thanks for all your input...

Bob
04-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter

LM 350 is a proven performer and works great when properly integrated.
But, even if i had build it my self, i would hesitate to risk my camera with a $ 1.99 regulator in a home brew power supply.
And yes, the camera works fine without batteries when connected to pentax power supply.
Good luck.

Cheers. Mike.