Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help Identify Lens Issue

Hello,

I recently bought a cheap SMC-M 50mm 1.7 off eBay thinking I got a deal...but now that I have it I think i got sold junk.

My lens came with a few issues.. on the inside of the lens, on the surface it looks like there are some lines on it, like a cracked windshield with spider cracks...

And deep inside the lens itself, there are some particles and more spider like cracks.

I unfortunately can't get a good picture of this to post, but did my best...

I'm wondering if it's fungus / haze? If it is fungus, is it safe for me to use this lens and store it with my other stuff or is this something I should get rid of?

This stuff doesn't show up too much on the few images I've tested with it, but at higher F values I see a lot of dust, can that be from the sensor?

Flickr Photo Download: Tri Silhouette

Please Help!

03-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like fungus to me. It won't show up in the image, but it will reduce contrast. The spots you're seeing are sensor dust. Get a Rocketblower.

I'm not sure if the fungus will infect your other lenses. The spores are generally floating around everywhere already. If you store your lenses in a fairly dry environment, then the spores will have trouble growing. I think that's your best protection, but I'm not an expert.
03-24-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Some of those specs are sensor dust (they look fuzzy). Some of the other specs look a bit too in focus, so those are on the lens itself.

In old lenses, the fungus has had time to grow, specially if they were not properly taken care of. Best solution is to send it away to get properly cleaned. For a small lens like that, you just might pay under $30 US to get it cleaned.