Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Has anyone tried a Sony DSLR?
Personally, I haven't.
I was just wondering how they are - not thinking of buying at all, just wanted to be aware of what's out there.
I've seen them in the shops, and don't like the look of them at all.
Have they just established themselves on the brand name?

Like has been mentioned in this thread, once you pick up a Pentax, the feel is something else.
She was right to be impressed.
My cousin has an alpha 200 (or was it 300, not sure)
was not impressed at all. hated the menu system, and the ergo's were very bad.
played w/ an alpha a900 at B and H while i was waiting for the theater to open..again not impressed. it felt cheap (and this was sony's flagship). it didnt feel solid at all, I didnt care for where the on/off switch was...and it just didnt feel right.

a friend of mine has an a700..havnt seen him in a while...
I tried to get them into Pentax, but...they went w/ what they went with...

03-27-2009, 07:25 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
How many people here are old enough to recognize the objects in his avatar? I am.

They're adapters used to play 45 rpm records ("singles") on a standard LP record changer. Anyone remember vinyl records?

I don't think I've seen those in about 30 years.
I have 2 boxes of albums (store in jackets and upright), that I have always intended to convert into digital and put on the ipod, but haven't done it yet. I will have to buy another turntable, but maybe one day.
03-27-2009, 07:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
I made another Pentaxian last week too. My former roommate was looking to buy a DSLR. He was going to buy a D60 kit at Costco with two lenses for $700. I spent a while on instant messenger explaining to him that that any of the Pentax offerings were better - he would miss the in-body SR with his next lens, he would have to buy proprietary batteries,.

He started looking at a few Pentax offerings online. He immediately fell in love with the white version of the K2000 . He said it really stood out. His dual lens kit is on its way.
My son and DIL bought the D60 package from Costco. They called me and said they were looking at the K2000 that was on special with QVC that day. We talked about it for over an hour (they have seen and used my K100D), and they decided to make the purchase. Talked to them a couple of days later, and found out the bought the D60 because they would not receive the K2000 for 2-weeks. WTF???? I think I will cut them out of my will. BTW, they said they are happy with the D60. I told them...."good, but you would be estatic with the Pentax."
03-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #19
Veteran Member

sometimes it takes time to understand the underrated value of Pentax cameras. Sellers praise Canikons for the "value for money", but they enjoy the bigger commission in fact.
After all, there's a good chance you will return for VR/SR lenses, and generally more expensive accessories.

Many times Pentax is a dead end for them since it can happen like this:
-1. after buy Pentax start looking for a discussion group on internet
-2. become members of the Pentaxforums
-3. learn about great old lenses
-4. buy old lens with no A-mode
-5. switch to M mode
-6. get good result with the creative settings - develop LBA
-7. go back to store to search for more old lenses - get the surprised look from the seller
-8. start the Vintage Lens Quest-end of story for new camera store

See?
At least this is my late experience... I don't know which other brand in encouraging the creativity like Pentax.

03-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
My son and DIL bought the D60 package from Costco. They called me and said they were looking at the K2000 that was on special with QVC that day. We talked about it for over an hour (they have seen and used my K100D), and they decided to make the purchase. Talked to them a couple of days later, and found out the bought the D60 because they would not receive the K2000 for 2-weeks. WTF???? I think I will cut them out of my will. BTW, they said they are happy with the D60. I told them...."good, but you would be estatic with the Pentax."
I like this story, and in particular the last quote lol.
I held a D60 in my hands the other day in the store, and it felt...crippling. As if my hands were too large or had the wrong 'shape' to hold the grip. And I don't have this problem at all with my *ist DL, which is roughly the same size. It's just a perfect fit Although admittedly, I hadn't held it in my hands when I bought it. I had ordered it online, and hadn't found a store near me that stocked any.
03-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
A co-worker of a friend of mine was about to buy a new DSLR when he told her to STOP! He showed her some of my photos and said, you may wanna talk to this guy first. Well he hit me up and told me what was going on. I brought my bag in today with my normal weekend kit, K10D with the DA35LTD on, and the DA*50-135mm and DA*300mm laying in wait. She told me that she owns the Sony A100, which is the entry level model and the 70-300mm and was not really impressed with either of them. She didnt like the menu of the camera, things were too complex and gimicky, which IMO is something that can be expected with anything Sony. The IQ on the lens was really not there, she was doing too much PP to get them to look how she wants them to.

Well I put the K10D in her hands and showed her some things and let her play with it a bit. Showed her the menu, the shooting options and explained some of the benefits like on-body SR and weather sealing. I took off the DA35LTD and put no the DA*50-135mm and explained again the weather sealing and showed her the HSM, well, let her listen to the HSM or lack their of. She was very impressed. I explained to her about the different lens lines and how she can get 40 year old lenses and they will all work. I told her about the K20D and its improvements. I think she is ready to buy!

The saying holds true, just put one in their hands... and they are sold. Kinda made me wanna upgrade.
I see a commission coming from Ned????!!!!
03-27-2009, 04:35 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I see a commission coming from Ned????!!!!
Well if so, I only want hardware, or enough to cover a DA15LTD or DA70LTD... or both.

03-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Gee I thought you were bragging about getting it on with the missus.
03-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #24
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Has anyone tried a Sony DSLR?
Personally, I haven't. ... Like has been mentioned in this thread, once you pick up a Pentax, the feel is something else.
She was right to be impressed.
A month after I bought my K20D I happened to be walking past a Sony Store. Looking to kill some time, I picked up I believe the A700. First of all, the feel was awkward to me (I guess compared to being used to Canon and Pentax). And the layout of the back buttons wasn't as intuitive and ergonomic as them, either. After these initial impressions and fumbling through a few of the menus, I didn't really care to play around with lenses or go any further with the 'Sony Experience'.

I guess I wasn't being very objective, but nothing about the camera really "wowed" me that much to draw me in more. I also didn't care to find out why it was priced higher than the K20D - it didn't seem worth it to me.
03-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Dear Buddha

Re your astonishing claim to fame:

QuoteQuote:
I think I made another Pentaxian today...
The members of this forum are thoroughly intrigued to learn which materials you employed for this project….was it Pink String and Sealing Wax perchance ? More to the point, precisely what methodology did you employ, or are you prevented from letting the "cat-out-of-the-bag" by a pre-existing non-disclosure agreement ? Pray tell us more, good fellow……and it had better damn-well be a Full-Frame Pentaxian, or else you'll be for the high jump, sonny Jim……capice !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 03-27-2009 at 07:24 PM.
03-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My method was simple, I merely put my unit in her hands...
03-27-2009, 08:32 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
My method was simple, I merely put my unit in her hands...
Reaction something like this?
03-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #28
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I should note that a good friend made a Pentaxian out of me! I had been so impressed with my Canon Elan IIE film SLR years ago that I was dead-set on buying a Canon DSLR once they reached a lower price point. However, I was curious - but in a condescending way - about why someone like my friend would be using a Pentax when there were such "better" brands out there. You can read the full story in my blog, but suffice it to say that I was quickly sold on Pentax.

I am choked that my K20D has had to be sent in for service after freezing up a couple of times, but I already think I've made a wiser choice than choosing any other brand out there. I'm most impressed by the better quality and features at a lower price than any of the Pentax "competition".
03-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #29
Forum Member

That's awesome Buddha!!!

Just saw this thread and had to add that I too have had some luck "making Pentaxians" !!!

Four so far and counting........it won't be long before I spend some of the ( other ) brother-in-law's money! They where totally film till about 1 1/2 years ago! I made them into digital converts by simply showing them that the pure volume of photos they will take digitally will result in more 'keepers'.......little did they know my devious plan to use my K20D to show them the limitations of their 'okay' Sony superzoom!

Three work colleagues and the other brother-in-law. Just show them the camera and its results.....talk about the backwards compatibility and the pure fun of using a 40 year old lens bought on ebay for $120 ( Vivitar Series I 70-210 Kiron version ) and how much the SR version of that lens from Canikons and poof! they're SOLD......K200's all four.......All four loving it and sending me tons of pics......two now using Lightroom and REALLY having fun!

I actually went to the camera shop with two of them and was amazed at the ".....well yes Pentax does make nice cameras......BUT.......just look at this Canon/Nikon/Sony...." line each time from several different sales people. The power of incentive commissions!

Only one problem......I used my K100D ( not super ) to close the deal with all four......handled the K20D on every outing.......when the fourth covert showed me some rather amzing shots from the K200D, I went out at lunch that day and bought the K20!!!......bought the Sigma 10-20 the next day!

I need to be protected from myself and others I think.

Viva Pentax!!

John
03-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Reaction something like this?
I LOVE Blazing Saddles, brings back some very fond memories.